Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

TG America - Back?

Old 04-21-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it'll be worth a few tries!!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 PM

I used to like the idea of this but now I just think I'll stick to watching the real topgear on the internets
Old 04-22-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's only one Top Gear. Anything else is
Old 04-22-2010, 01:33 PM

I'm disapointed that Adam is not in it, I love his car pod casts.

I don't know any of these guys, except for Tanner Faust, I hope they have got three guys with the right chemistry. But why dosen't BBC America just start actualy showing the current Top Gear? I never understood why they show reruns instead of the new show.

I hope the show works out, although I don't have much faith in the History Channel being able to do anything othre than WW 2 documentaries.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 04-23-2010, 07:16 AM

I think Carolla might have worked. He's pretty good on the carcast. I think the biggest mistake is Tanner Foust. While I'm sure all of the guys on the original topgear are great drivers and knowlegeable about cars, they do not come from an automotive background. May, Clarkson, and Hammond all started out in one form of journalism or another. Having a race car driver as one of the host could make the show too technical and borning. Remember that part of the appeal of topgear is that it isn't motorweek. Also, I've seen a few of Foust's shows on Speed Channel, and they appeared to be nothing more than long car commercials. Part of the fun of Top Gear is watching the hosts make fun really bad cars.
The choice of a host with a NASCAR background shows that the US producers just don't understand American car culture. Car guys don't like NASCAR, and NASCAR fans aren't car guys. If a TV producer in the US realized that, then topgear USA might have a chance. Sadly, I don't think there is one.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:53 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy Roadster,Apr 23 2010, 07:16 AM
I think Carolla might have worked. He's pretty good on the carcast. I think the biggest mistake is Tanner Foust. While I'm sure all of the guys on the original topgear are great drivers and knowlegeable about cars, they do not come from an automotive background. May, Clarkson, and Hammond all started out in one form of journalism or another. Having a race car driver as one of the host could make the show too technical and borning. Remember that part of the appeal of topgear is that it isn't motorweek. Also, I've seen a few of Foust's shows on Speed Channel, and they appeared to be nothing more than long car commercials. Part of the fun of Top Gear is watching the hosts make fun really bad cars.
The choice of a host with a NASCAR background shows that the US producers just don't understand American car culture. Car guys don't like NASCAR, and NASCAR fans aren't car guys. If a TV producer in the US realized that, then topgear USA might have a chance. Sadly, I don't think there is one.
Agreed.

Which is why they need to rely on getting marketing contracts with non car manufacturers, if they do great, but they cant be their bread and butter because they will be conflicted, kinda like car and driver and the other mags here. They need to make this show appeal to folks beyond the car realm, cuz let's face it, we're not a huge market.
Then, they also need to make it so that a manufacturer has to have their cars reviewed on that show to get any kind of cred, like top gear/fifth gear is to europe.
But hey, it isnt like top gear doesn't have their biases, think anything english made, lol.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top Gear America - What to expect

http://jalopnik.com/5521968/top-gear-usa-what-to-expect
Old 04-24-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Tormac,Apr 22 2010, 01:33 PM

I hope the show works out, although I don't have much faith in the History Channel being able to do anything othre than WW 2 documentaries.
Ever seen Modern Marvels? That show is great.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:38 AM

I think it's important to find 3 contrasting characters that offer different views. Adam carolla likes 22's, Tanner is too boring (most race guys are) and Jay isn't funny with cars

The culture in the US just also doesn't support TG - everything has to be PC here...everyone has to thank their sponsor the minute they get on camera...so unless you want to see hosts get out of a test drive and start gulping down milk and thanks tide detergent for making their race suits smell good....don't even push for it.

I just stick to the original.

Quick Reply: TG America - Back?