Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

There's still a reason to love Honda

Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There's still a reason to love Honda

I love this kind of thinking.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...artalkfacebook
Old 05-01-2012, 11:58 AM

cool idea. i do know few people who brakes for no reason. especially females. i don't get why they are braking while going down the flat straight road. just let go of the gas pedal and it will slow down itself!!! and those are the people slams on their brake not gently applying it. also same people hit the brakes while going up hill cuz they are bout to go over the speed limit by 5mph. again just let go of the gas pedal!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Yeah, this is why if the person in front of me brakes lightly for no reason, and I can see that nobody in front of them is braking I usually won't brake myself (because I don't want the sheep behind me to continue the braking trend).
Old 05-01-2012, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Yeah, this is why if the person in front of me brakes lightly for no reason, and I can see that nobody in front of them is braking I usually won't brake myself (because I don't want the sheep behind me to continue the braking trend).
Correct, but what kind of research needs to be done in something that everyone already knows? … you need a system in the car? What about common sense?
Hopefully Honda did not spend a lot of money on this because there is a little problem…if you leave a distance like that, someone WILL get in your lane (cut you off) and you will have to brake and not accomplish anything.

-I always do this in a (one lane) very long ramp and I can see all the cars behind me moving along nicely since I never have to brake because I leave a good distance between me and the car in front of me.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by an2ny
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1335905226' post='21660155
Correct, but what kind of research needs to be done in something that everyone already knows? … you need a system in the car? What about common sense?
Hopefully Honda did not spend a lot of money on this because there is a little problem…if you leave a distance like that, someone WILL get in your lane (cut you off) and you will have to brake and not accomplish anything.

-I always do this in a (one lane) very long ramp and I can see all the cars behind me moving along nicely since I never have to brake because I leave a good distance between me and the car in front of me.

If everyone already knows it, why do we have unnecessary traffic jams?

Just because you do something doesn't mean the average driver does. The research is in pinpointing simple solutions to a major problem. If you have cars that can figure out where the cars are around you and let the driver know when he's being the problem, that is a win for everyone involved.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:40 PM

I'm glad to see Honda has decided to focus on driving habits; when your market share is nosediving, it's always wise to focus on HOW people are driving AWAY from your dealers, rather than WHY...
Old 05-01-2012, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by ScandinavianFlick
I'm glad to see Honda has decided to focus on driving habits; when your market share is nosediving, it's always wise to focus on HOW people are driving AWAY from your dealers, rather than WHY...
Yeah, I'm sure they're completely ignoring the cars and focusing all of their resources on this because they're such a tiny company that can't do two things at once.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:04 PM

I wish Honda wouldn't allow their cars to go above the posted speed limit. Cuz that would create a perfect, safe, world... like it should be
Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Lol, or they could make the license test harder. Driving is a privilege, not a right.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 PM

In the USA, all rights are rights held by the people. One of the main reasons for the American Revolution was to get away from the idea that all rights are privileges granted to the people by government, and move to the principle that governments are granted certain limmited rights by the people.

IOW, driving is a right, not a privilege. Governments are granted the right to license drivers and enact laws concerning driving, but the right to drive is not something granted by a government. We have a test to get a license, but anyone has the right to apply.

On topic, I find it amusing that nobody has suggested simply alerting drivers that the roadway is congested prior to entering. I avoid freeways during rush hour, or any time they are already congested. I shake my head at people turning onto backed-up on-ramps to join a traffic flow that isn't moving. Part of the fault lies in the lack of signage and sightlines - it's often difficult or impossible to know the flow of traffic before entering the on-ramp, and not immediately obvious how to avoid the congestion if one is not local.

I fail to see how licensing or in-car indicators will eliminate the problems that arise when a roadway has too many concurrent users.

Quick Reply: There's still a reason to love Honda