Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Things your SO has said about cars

Old 05-10-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Things your SO has said about cars

Think this would be a fun thread. It's funny to hear things from a non car savvy person.
I'm also not too sure if this would be an appropriate spot for this type of thread.
Excuse me if this type of thread exists.
I was talking to my gf today as we were looking for a parking spot. An NA miata rests peacefully hidden behind a Bentley making me think there was a spot.
Well, she went on about what the car looked like
-NA miata, "It looks like a piece of soap"
-Bentley continental, "that's a jellybean"
-Infinity g37, "You grab s snowball, and a marshmallow and squeeze the two together and you get that."
-Discovery sport, "It looks really special"
-LR4, "why is shaped like a toaster?"

That's all I can remember off the top of my head for now.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:25 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

She estimated that an average car is 7 feet long and weighs 500lbs. She's really smart otherwise (4.0 in HS, 3.99 in college, full ride to top-10 MBA program) but this.... this I cannot explain.

She also calls pretty much any classic car "ugly." Like an Aston DB5, Jag E-Type, etc. But she does have SOME automotive taste (recent hits appearance-wise have been Gallardos, Ferraris, and an Elise I rented).
Old 05-10-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

"It's loud"
"If it was only a convertible still..."
"You wanna do what?"
Old 05-10-2016, 04:50 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Oh, jeez. Don't get me started. My only complaint about my wife is her inability to accurately perceive cars. Well, that and that I've had to endure all the Twilight movies.

Perhaps her most egregious automotive sin is that she flat-out refuses to believe that racing takes skill. She thinks that some people just have cars that are marginally faster than others on race day, and that's all there is to it. I did an experiment where we walked with one foot directly in front of the other (like when you count how many steps there are from point A to point B). I had her walk an inside line around our bed from our bathroom door to our bedroom door. I took an outside line around the bed. She counted 19 steps and I counted closer to 30, AND she got there way before me. I exclaimed, "That's how racing works!" Take a better line, and you can make the same turn and cover less distance, meaning you net a faster lap time. No dice. She thinks I'm making it up.

Of course, the terrible irony in all of this is that I'm now writing to you from my home office, and not two feet from where I'm sitting is a wall adorned in diplomas she's earned from some of America's most prestigious universities, which she graduated in the top of her class from. Ugh. Haha.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"No more cars until we pay off xxxx!!!!"

2 hours later...

<recieve a txt with a link to some car for sale>
"We NEED this.. lets get it."

This is why we work well.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:35 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

When my favorite SIL saw me roll up in my red Corvette convertible she said

"you look really cool ---- just don't get out of the car"
Old 05-10-2016, 05:42 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Oh, jeez. Don't get me started. My only complaint about my wife is her inability to accurately perceive cars. Well, that and that I've had to endure all the Twilight movies.

Perhaps her most egregious automotive sin is that she flat-out refuses to believe that racing takes skill. She thinks that some people just have cars that are marginally faster than others on race day, and that's all there is to it. I did an experiment where we walked with one foot directly in front of the other (like when you count how many steps there are from point A to point B). I had her walk an inside line around our bed from our bathroom door to our bedroom door. I took an outside line around the bed. She counted 19 steps and I counted closer to 30, AND she got there way before me. I exclaimed, "That's how racing works!" Take a better line, and you can make the same turn and cover less distance, meaning you net a faster lap time. No dice. She thinks I'm making it up.

Of course, the terrible irony in all of this is that I'm now writing to you from my home office, and not two feet from where I'm sitting is a wall adorned in diplomas she's earned from some of America's most prestigious universities, which she graduated in the top of her class from. Ugh. Haha.
She's right you know. In racing, the wider arc achieve higher speeds...which wins races. Add consistency and you'll win every time.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:48 PM

Old 05-10-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

driving behind an old Ford Taurus - "Is that an RX7"
Old 05-10-2016, 06:51 PM

Haha. But the taillights are kind of similar, and they both have curvy butts.

Quick Reply: Things your SO has said about cars