Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking about an F350 - possibly a duely

Old 03-19-2017, 02:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
It takes my vette longer to reach operating temps than my diesel ram. I don't even use the supplied radiator covers in the winter.
My experience is completely opposite. At work I drive a 2013 Ford Expedition with a gas v8 and ford f-350 duelly diesel. It normally takes double the time for the f350 to get to operating temps. I use the same warmup procedure (idle 3 min and gentle on the throttle until it's warmed up).

http://www.dieselhub.com/tech/warm-up-cool-down.html
Old 03-20-2017, 03:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
They are big and they get old fast. Parking it, or busy traffic on a service road where only small gaps exist. Dually exists for commercial work, especially towing. If you won't be towing tens of thousands of pounds there are much better choices. Even full size trucks today. like the F150, are behomeths. They also drive like shit. The new Ridgeline drives and handles better than any other truck on the market. If you want power, buy a Raptor, either V8 or new TTEB.
Great hyperbole. I had an F150 rental truck for a week (also had an Excursion for a week, mentioned earlier). I wouldn't consider them "behemoths", they were really easy to drive in and get around, park, I liked them because it was a nice break from sports cars. I can just cruise around in traffic pretty comfortably. I was using the excursion a lot when I had it as a rental, was so convenient to have that much space available. I don't think either of them "drove like shit" and they handled perfectly find for their size and weight - I'm not looking to take turns at high speed in the city and do 80mph on highway ramps.

I wouldn't really consider handling a big area to consider when buying a truck. And I don't see the big deal in f250/f350 having a big turn radius either, it just comes with the territory. Where I live I can't even think of any spot in a 30 mile radius the 250 or 350 would have any trouble turning or navigating in. In Banbury England? Yes, definite issues there.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by d1rtyc4r
Great hyperbole. I had an F150 rental truck for a week (also had an Excursion for a week, mentioned earlier). I wouldn't consider them "behemoths", they were really easy to drive in and get around, park, I liked them because it was a nice break from sports cars. I can just cruise around in traffic pretty comfortably. I was using the excursion a lot when I had it as a rental, was so convenient to have that much space available. I don't think either of them "drove like shit" and they handled perfectly find for their size and weight - I'm not looking to take turns at high speed in the city and do 80mph on highway ramps.

I wouldn't really consider handling a big area to consider when buying a truck. And I don't see the big deal in f250/f350 having a big turn radius either, it just comes with the territory. Where I live I can't even think of any spot in a 30 mile radius the 250 or 350 would have any trouble turning or navigating in. In Banbury England? Yes, definite issues there.
Behometh means larger than what a full size used to be. Current full sizes are large vehicles. Much larger than in the past. Behometh as it pertains to traffic, holes in traffic, etc. Even parking. There is a reason why I see them over the white lines in many places I frequent.

Body on frame vehicles handle like shit to me. Push it in a turn and it feels like it wants to flip. Owned one, just drove a bunch more last year.

Some test drives in that new Ridgeline as well as my old one are a stark contrast. Unibody handles excellent. Great AWD system, with real torque vectoring in the rear (not brake based), you get a bed, great handling, just won't win any penis measuring contests at all, and won't be able to tow more than 5000-5500 lbs. And if you aren't towing with it, or need the capabilities, guess I don't see the point. View it about like a Hummer. Cons outweigh the pros. That new Ridgeline is extremely comfortable, excellent seats and very full size truck like in the cabin. 0-60 in 6.5 doesn't hurt either. 6spd in it is programmed excellent with solid shift points. If it turns and handles better, accelerates the same or better, has the functionality, better fuel economy, etc, maybe give it a shot. Or don't, and buy the biggest dually you can find.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:39 PM

Well I had a hell of time with stealershits this weekend. Visited a few, test drove some cars. I couldn't find a decent truck anywhere in my price range that wasn't a piece of crap or had a lame v8 (<300hp) or a v6 in it (v6 ecotec f150s were out of my range). Mainly my issue was the shady ass dealerships that are in my area (NOVA). I had to eventually rule out any dealership that wasn't a primary dealer for Ford, Honda, Audi, etc. Too many hole-in-the-wall crapholes with equally crappy cars. I had to give up on trucks and start looking for other cars I might enjoy. Drove a 09 370z and a 06 r8. Pretty much polar opposite of what I was looking for, but at least my commute would be more fun than a Jetta. Both cars had big issues. The 370's interior was utter trash, I don't even know how an interior wears out that badly, felt like I was driving some entry level Nissan. The rx8 had a great interior, and low miles. I don't mind rotaries. But someone had clearly bottomed out the front of the car and damaged the underpanels and the bumper felt loose.

I then called another stealershit about a nicely priced ST. They said they had just gotten it and it would take 3 days to prepare it. WTF? Why would you list that car online if it's not even ready yet? Then I noticed a reallllly nice condition CR-V from 1999 (manual) pop up in my searches. Lo and behold it freaking sold this morning before I could contact the dealer (got stuck in meetings at work). Ugh.

With the horrible luck I had with used cars, I checked new cars in my price range. I tried a Honda Fit, but they are pretty high-priced and I didn't want to lease it and be stuck with it for 3 years. And this was the lowest trim Fit too...I will say, I really liked the Honda Civic Sport hatchbacks they had. I test drove a Civic and Fit. Dealer wouldn't budge at all on pricing so I left (that was the only manual Fit they had, probably going to sell easily).. Eventually found a 16 Focus SE in manual. It was the only SE in manual aside from another priced a bit higher. I either got 17" rims or a sunroof, I chose the one with rims. They had accidentally advertised the price a bit too low online and they actually honored it. Wound up picking it up today.

I did like the Honda Fit, surprisingly. I'm also surprised at just how much engine noise they make. I'm sure it turns some people off, but I rather enjoyed it. But it would have been so hard rocking a base fit with no sunroof and hubcaps on a lease....
Old 03-20-2017, 05:33 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Wait, you were thinking about a dually F-350 and bought a manual Focus SE instead? Ok.

Did the Jetta suck that bad? You just got a newer Jetta basically.

congrats, I guess.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Wait, you were thinking about a dually F-350 and bought a manual Focus SE instead? Ok.

congrats, I guess.
I totally saw this coming but it was still hilarious to see it play out. Jolly Good Show!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I hope you're looking at hauling/towing with it. Otherwise it's a complete waste of money and other resources. I have a F150 super crew and it's plenty big and I haul my s2000, trailer, and all supporting gear with it, plus the wife and all her things (Im surprised we have furniture in the house when we leave for a weekend). Unless you've got some serious need for one, or serious TPS, I think you might need to consider your motivations.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:48 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

TF did I just read?
Old 03-22-2017, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
congrats, I guess.
The Jetta did suck pretty bad. I can go into more detail later.

Originally Posted by Marioshi
I totally saw this coming but it was still hilarious to see it play out. Jolly Good Show!
Thanks.

Originally Posted by freq
TF did I just read?
You can say "the ****" here. It's ****ing ok.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:42 AM

I liked the fact that coilovers for it are 1k, an exhaust is 400. I can't even get bypass pipes for the 911 for under 800, and they're like 1/10th of the length of a focus exhaust.

Quick Reply: Thinking about an F350 - possibly a duely