Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking about a first gen Camaro LS3 swap project

Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a first gen Camaro LS3 swap project

I've been looking for something fun and different, and it turns out one of my co-workers is a die-hard Chevy guy, who used to specialize in LS swaps. I've been thinking about picking up a '67-'69 base Camaro, doing what little work I could (I would probably look to buy one that has been restored in the last 10 years), then passing it on to him to swap in an LS3. I wouldn't be looking for a 9 second drag strip beast or a concours-quality resto, but rather a tasteful, reliable, fast (high 11's- low 12's) driver.

Any thoughts? Would this be a good mix of muscle car style and modern power/reliability, or a bastardization of a classic car and a waste of time and money?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 PM

The first thing I'd want to address would chassis stiffness. I know Hotchkis make a lot of parts that will make those cars turn, but I can't think it'd come cheap. Given the prices for 1st gen Camaros these days, you might be better served getting a 2000ish Mustang. It has more modern chassis, 5sp trans and a fuel injected V8 and I have to think they can be had for cheap.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

^Yes but a 1st gen Camaro is a thing of beauty while a 2000ish Mustang is a hideous car, not to mention completely unworthy of having an LS3 put into it.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
^Yes but a 1st gen Camaro is a thing of beauty while a 2000ish Mustang is a hideous car, not to mention completely unworthy of having an LS3 put into it.
Agreed. Like I said, I'm just looking for a driver, not a 1/4 mile monster or a a road course racer. I would replace the suspension and brakes to keep it from being a death sled, but I'm not trying to set any Nurburgring records.

I think the 1st gen Camaro is one of the best looking cars of the muscle car era, and I would love to have a clean, streetable example, with a lumpy-cammed, reliable small block under the hood.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mensa s2000
I've been looking for something fun and different, and it turns out one of my co-workers is a die-hard Chevy guy, who used to specialize in LS swaps. I've been thinking about picking up a '67-'69 base Camaro, doing what little work I could (I would probably look to buy one that has been restored in the last 10 years), then passing it on to him to swap in an LS3. I wouldn't be looking for a 9 second drag strip beast or a concours-quality resto, but rather a tasteful, reliable, fast (high 11's- low 12's) driver.

Any thoughts? Would this be a good mix of muscle car style and modern power/reliability, or a bastardization of a classic car and a waste of time and money?
An idea I've drooled over for many years now, someday I will have one. Of course I'd love to have an LS series engine in everything, lol. Hence recently picking up an LS1 swapped FD RX7
Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 AM

It's your money, but I dont' see how you could do it for less than 25K assuming you can find a rust free example. Those car's weren't galvanized so they started to rust the moment they left the factory. My Dad had a black 67 and by the time he sold in the early 70's the lower fenders had had rust holes. If you've ever watched Overhaulin' or similar type show, you know that even shiny, good looking cars can have serious rust problems.

For that same 25K you could find a recent vintage Camaro or Mustang that would be better in ever possible aspect.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

I wouldnt bother with an LS3. Get an old LS motor from a truck and boost it.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by ElTianti
It's your money, but I dont' see how you could do it for less than 25K assuming you can find a rust free example. Those car's weren't galvanized so they started to rust the moment they left the factory. My Dad had a black 67 and by the time he sold in the early 70's the lower fenders had had rust holes. If you've ever watched Overhaulin' or similar type show, you know that even shiny, good looking cars can have serious rust problems.

For that same 25K you could find a recent vintage Camaro or Mustang that would be better in ever possible aspect.
I think $25k is low. I was planning on budgeting more like $35k.

And I'm not looking for a daily driver or a race car, so the argument that a recent vintage Camaro or Mustang would be better in every aspect doesn't hold true for me. I would much rather drive a 12 second '67 Camaro than an 8 second Fox Body, and the coolness factor can't be eclipsed by any current GT500 or ZL1. Just my opinion, of course.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 AM

Sounds like a fun project. Here is some useful information I ran across:

http://www.southernperformancesystem...ro-lsconv.html
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Honestly, with modest power goals, I'd keep it non-digital and go with an older-style small-block 383 stroker with aluminum heads and intake, ~650 carb.

In fact, you could probably find one already built to ~90% or so of what you want for less than what it would cost you to take one and fix it up yourself, if you aren't doing all the work.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a first gen Camaro LS3 swap project