Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking about a restomod

Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about a restomod

Anyone have any experience with cars like this?

They seem on paper to be pretty cool. Sexy, real retro looks but with new technology.

The problem I'm finding is the title of 'restomod' is applied to anything from a car that has some new seats and trim pieces that aren't period correct to complete donor car drivetrains with modified older bodies to fit. The examples are things like this:
http://www.xvmotorsports.com/sale/in...cat=cars&id=16
http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...D=CA0810-96656

Those two are obviously very high end ones. I'm not interested in spending 100k+. So I'm curious if that's sort of the entry point to get a real turn key, no hassle bad ass restomod or if there are alternatives.

In my ideal scenario whatever it was wouldn't have a new engine that has carburetors at all. Some with a compeletly modern drive train like an LS engine with tremec transmission or new hemi engine, etc would be ideal.

I also want new suspension and brake parts as that's probably where an old car falls down the hardest. I have no interest in just wallowing around everywhere.

Anyway, just curious if anyone on here has any experience with these type of cars.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any experience with domestics but have built a few and been around plenty of older J-tin that fits the bill. There is a great amount of time and money that goes into properly building a useable classic with modern features/drivability and almost every element of a new car can be matched (performance, comfort, reliability) other than safety really.

That Challenger you posted is stunning! I am a huge Mopar fan. From 68-71 it seem Chrysler could do no wrong (in the styling department). GTX, Roadrunner, Cuda, Charger, Challenger.. all awesome and perfect candidates for an updated driver. There are quite a few cars out there like this, my personal favorite being the Viper powered '68 Charger.

I guess the first thing is what cars are on the short list for consideration? Do you want to run a rebuild/modified OEM engine, swap in a period engine from a better model/trim, or a modern setup?

Example: http://www.pjsautoworld.com/1960cars...unnerhemi.html

I think this Roadrunner is stunning! Adjustable coilovers, BBK, wide 17/18" wheels, upgraded (discrete) audio setup, modern steering wheel, bucket seats and upgraded lighting - it'd be perfect.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

my dream car is a 69 camaro restomod/pro-tour car (RS headlights, all black, LSx motor, 6-sp, full hotchkiss catalog, IRS). Although, that challenger made my peepee tingle too.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by rnye
I don't have any experience with domestics but have built a few and been around plenty of older J-tin that fits the bill. There is a great amount of time and money that goes into properly building a useable classic with modern features/drivability and almost every element of a new car can be matched (performance, comfort, reliability) other than safety really.

That Challenger you posted is stunning! I am a huge Mopar fan. From 68-71 it seem Chrysler could do no wrong (in the styling department). GTX, Roadrunner, Cuda, Charger, Challenger.. all awesome and perfect candidates for an updated driver. There are quite a few cars out there like this, my personal favorite being the Viper powered '68 Charger.

I guess the first thing is what cars are on the short list for consideration? Do you want to run a rebuild/modified OEM engine, swap in a period engine from a better model/trim, or a modern setup?

Example: http://www.pjsautoworld.com/1960cars...unnerhemi.html

I think this Roadrunner is stunning! Adjustable coilovers, BBK, wide 17/18" wheels, upgraded (discrete) audio setup, modern steering wheel, bucket seats and upgraded lighting - it'd be perfect.
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion about the time, effort and expense these cars take to do right.

I am like you: mopar is the way to go when it comes to 60s cars. I would love a challenger, but a charger would be pretty cool too.

I would want pretty much everything new as I would like to drive the car every day. My guess I'm looking at spending big money for something like this, but thought I would see if there was something I was missing.

I think a challenger with a viper drive train would be my favorite. If I could end up with only viper powered vehicles in my household I would be a happy man. Going to be tough with the mini-van!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM

Check out these guys. I have dibs on the orange '70 Camaro.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

It really depends on what you want. If you have very specific wants then you may as well build your own which usually ends up in that $100k mark from what I have seen. I mean a crate motor with fuel injection can run around 10k for just the motor. If you aren't that picky you could buy a used one. I have seen very nice resto mod cars roll through barrett jackson for a fraction for what it cost to build them. It can still be expensive but its an option.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:56 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have one that we bought already done and we are slowly redoing it to our taste. It's older and great for cruising now and then but I wouldn't want to daily it. Since my wife wanted a 1946 Chevy PU that's what we have. As someone else said I would let someone else do all the hard and expensive work rather than risking dropping 100 to 150K into doing it yourself.

This truck has a 74 Nova subframe, Camaro rear, GM V8, auto, AC, cruise, tilt, etc.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:10 PM

So......The Vette
  • C4 Suspension
  • LS1 Engine From 2001
  • Tremec Spoon In A Blender Transmission
  • $300K Price Tag

Definitely not my cup of tea. Not even at $30K. I only buy cars for the driving enjoyment, not as works of art. I just don't see the value proposition when I could own Godzilla, an Exige, a CTS V sedan, and a Tahoe for that sort of money.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

They are hugely expensive to do even halfway right, if you start from the ground up.

I'd rather just buy a decent runner I could enjoy without having to worry about bird crap ruining my concours paint job, but if you want a project, go for it.

If not, just keep browsing bringatrailer.com

This sold for $43k CAN. If you want a modern suspension, you could have it for a few grand more.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
So......The Vette
  • C4 Suspension
  • LS1 Engine From 2001
  • Tremec Spoon In A Blender Transmission
  • $300K Price Tag

Definitely not my cup of tea. Not even at $30K. I only buy cars for the driving enjoyment, not as works of art. I just don't see the value proposition when I could own Godzilla, an Exige, a CTS V sedan, and a Tahoe for that sort of money.
yeah, I agree on the corvette. Just an extreme example. I'm not interested in a vintage corvette.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a restomod