Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking of going in a drastically different direction (Jeep vs. S2K)

Old 05-06-2012, 12:57 PM
vbb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of going in a drastically different direction (Jeep vs. S2K)

I've been an S2000 enthusiast and owner for many years (as my stars will indicate). Simply put, I love this car. That said, my life has drastically changed since 2005 and now I rarely drive the car. It happens to a lot of us, I suppose. I was a "young professional," single, and more carefree. I autocrossed from time to time, went to all the local and some of the regional meets,and generally participated in my local S2K community. Over time though I got married, now have two young kids, and a more demanding job, and have a lot going on. Consequently, I'm missing a lot of local meets, never auto-x or track the car, and barely even drive it. In fact, I just calculated that I've put around 7,050 miles on the car in the last 2.5 years! I probably drive it once a week. Don't get me wrong, it is a blast when I drive it... I've got the Greddy Turbo kit with a modest tune, and have it looking just the way I want it too (hardtop, drop, volks, etc). It's just that I never drive it. The wife and I don't get out much without the kids, so there's no room for the whole family.

SO with that, I've been thinking of going a different direction entirely and getting another type of "fun" car the whole family can enjoy. A Jeep Wrangler! Top comes completely off, you can take it to the beach, camping, or off-roading if you want, plus it looks cool (IMHO anyway). I figure I'd get much more use out of something like that than I currently do with the S. If I can sell the S and the parts for even a decent price, I can pick up a nice used Wranger and pocket the extra cash too. It just seems crazy to be thinking of selling the S, so I'm here asking if any of you guys have experienc with Jeep, pro or con?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Family comes first. Get something that the whole family will enjoy, for my family that was a boat and dirt bikes. Now with the kids out of the house my wife and I can enjoy our "S".
Have fun with the kids now because before to long they will be all grown up with friends of their own and won't have time to do things with you and your wife.

ROD
Old 05-06-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Will you want the S again in 5-6 years?

I've reflected on what might happen when we have kids. My wife has encouraged me to keep the car, which confirms my feelings. The car will give me the option to do something on my own and combining this with riding help keep me sane. I work some 60 hours/week and opt to drive the car daily to and from work.

The way I'm working through the dollars is that it doesn't cost much to keep it but it will likely be a lot of work to find one as well taken care of.

It doesn't sound like you miss it much. In all honesty it sounds like your priorities have changed. When I travel for a few days I miss the fun of driving the car. I couldn't imagine not driving it to work.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Jeep Wranglers are amazingly fun cars. Never thought I'd own one until one kinda fell into my lap. I've never had more fun in a car before than I did in my Wrangler. Doors off and top off is an amazing experience. As far as for your family, I'm 100% certain they will absolutely love it. The only reason I sold mine is because I couldn't justify spending so much money in gas for a daily driver.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:44 PM

I cant personally see how replacing the s2k with a Wrangler would be as much fun. The only place that the Wrangler is fun is off-road and I'd wager that you spend many more miles on pavement than dirt. I would sooner go for a sporty convertible with a back seat if you want something to enjoy open air and take the family along. That's my 2 cents, good luck with whatever decision you make.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:57 PM

I own an S2k and Jeep also, a good pair!

Jeeps are not without their mechanical and electrical problems- beware.

=m
Old 05-06-2012, 06:07 PM

I used to own a 2009 2 Door Wrangler JK. Had it lifted 2 inches with 35" tires. It was a complete blast to drive and was great off off road, on the beach, etc. The only bad part was less than 20 mpg. Luckily it wasn't my only car!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly, you are gonna want something with 4 seats for awhile to haul the kids around in. I don't know if a Jeep is the right route, but you should get a 4 seater.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a 2010 JK Unlimited. It was great to know that I could take the top off. Sure it wasn't fast and the gas mileage sucks, but I did enjoy being able to drive around with the top off and it was great being able to see over cars.

I do miss it. But didn't really use it as much as I thought I would.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Two different worlds...unless you're going to mud-bog every weekend I would keep the S. Just imagine going around a corner.......SLOW

Quick Reply: Thinking of going in a drastically different direction (Jeep vs. S2K)