Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking of selling the S and picking up a MKVI R

Old 02-01-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of selling the S and picking up a MKVI R

This will be the fifth year of owning my S. I've recently started taking road/track cycling much more seriously, and picked up a bit of skiing in the side. A Golf R seems like a great proposition to haul the bikes and skis. That being said I have not driven my car in 6 months due to having been overseas; perhaps I've forgotten how good it is.

There's currently a MKVI GTI in the family and it's been fantastic thus far. DSG gearbox is great and its the perfect blend of fun and daily drivability (though getting rid of it due to lack of use).

An R with a modest APR tune and and exhaust is very tempting, but I know I would miss the S. VW Reliability also a concern -- plenty of horror stories out there.

Anyone made the transition?

Talk me out of it.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:30 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

I wouldn't.

Get another cheap hatchback or wagon to haul your gear in.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:57 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

As someone who spent many years racing very competativly, the best bike hauler is an Odyssey. I could get 3 bikes and multiple wheelsets, along with all my gear and the family or teammates, whoever wanted to go. My DD is a Forester and I sometimes stuff a bike in there which is no issue, plus the AWD is great.

I sold my first S2k when I got very competitive, not to have a different car, but because I basically never drove the s2k. My training was demanding enough that we never went anywhere without a bike. I would often ride to and from work, so I really never drove my S2k. The extra $ was nice to cover some expenses that the team wasn't.

First thing I did when I decided to "retire" from competitive cycling was to buy another S2000, literally the weekend after my last race I had one!

I don't regret selling my first s2k to pursue cycling at all, I experianced so many crazy an amazing things on a bike that I never would have, I have some cool "life stories". So I guess my advice does not help so much with the car, but if you want to pursue cycling, my advice is to do that and just buy something that you can haul and store your bikes inside , like a van.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
As someone who spent many years racing very competativly, the best bike hauler is an Odyssey. I could get 3 bikes and multiple wheelsets, along with all my gear and the family or teammates, whoever wanted to go. My DD is a Forester and I sometimes stuff a bike in there which is no issue, plus the AWD is great.

I sold my first S2k when I got very competitive, not to have a different car, but because I basically never drove the s2k. My training was demanding enough that we never went anywhere without a bike. I would often ride to and from work, so I really never drove my S2k. The extra $ was nice to cover some expenses that the team wasn't.

First thing I did when I decided to "retire" from competitive cycling was to buy another S2000, literally the weekend after my last race I had one!

I don't regret selling my first s2k to pursue cycling at all, I experianced so many crazy an amazing things on a bike that I never would have, I have some cool "life stories". So I guess my advice does not help so much with the car, but if you want to pursue cycling, my advice is to do that and just buy something that you can haul and store your bikes inside , like a van.
Very cool story -- do you still ride?
Old 02-01-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes, just for fun and to stay somewhat thin, although I will never get back to my race weight. I just kinda ride whenever and how ever I want, I actually just did a 3hr ride in a level 3 snow storm today! Cycling is a cool lifestyle, that will always be part of my family. Racing competitively, depending how far you take it can go way beyond the cycling lifestyle. But if you have the desire, see where your ability takes you, you only live once.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A Mk7 GTI with the Performance Package (arriving at dealers now) would be more rewarding than the Mk6 R.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-02-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Do not sell the S2000! Get a hitch mount for the bicycles. Find a way to adapt it for holding ski's in the off season, or get a hardtop and a traditional ski rack. You will be glad you kept the S every time you wind it out and kiss the limiter .
Old 02-03-2015, 10:47 AM

I owned a GTI for 10 years.

VWs are good for what it is. A entry level luxury people mover. That's about it. Nothing about the cars feel sporty or even close to the enjoyment of a real sportscar like the S2000.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:43 AM

^I agree with the statement above. I daily my VW too and use my S as a side car.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling the S and picking up a MKVI R