Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking of trading my S for a 2011 Lexus ISF

Old 03-07-2017, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of trading my S for a 2011 Lexus ISF

This is just going to turn into a rant, but here goes:

I have been thinking about replacing my 2007 S2000 that I have owned for the past 6 years. The transmission is getting a bit fussy and it would be about $4k to replace/fix. I love the car, but with the transmission issue it is just annoying to drive. I think I want something with some power and an ISF would fit the bill nicely. I drove a couple. It is pretty comfortable, had great power with potential for a little bit more. Transmission is smooth and pretty responsive. Engine sounds great! The ride is a bit harsh though.

I do like Honda, so I test drove a 2017 accord and looked at the 2017 civic. The accord was nice, but so boring. No sporting potential at all. The arm rest also got in the way of my elbow when shifting. The civic would be good, but they don't have an SI or R version available yet. I think these are out of picture at this point because of these reasons.

I have considered the german competition, but I just don't want to deal with the potential cost of repairs.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that I don't think I can find a car that is as fun and engaging to drive. It's silly. On one hand I want to move on, on the other I don't think I can give up the S2000. Is there anything else out there that could do the trick, besides a Z4M and M3?

Any advice/thoughts/memes are welcome.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:14 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I've driven the ISF and they are fun cars especially how they are priced nowadays, though some repairs are relatively costly even for a Lexus.

Not sure what your price point is, but have you considered a preowned RCF? Also not sure if the S is your daily or just a fun vehicle, that for me determines a lot narrower spectrum of vehicles that I could help you narrow down.

At one point for me, my S was my daily, which after four years took its toll on me as a 'fun factor'. When I finally got my daily (2012 CT200h F sport SE), I wanted something that was good on gas, roomy (for my size and needs), and a hatch - while all in all still handled great. So that became my verdict.

To answer simply, the ISF is no slouch by any means, in both oem and aftermarket form - but I'm quite partial to the RCF hence when I mentioned it, if you can pinpoint more or less what you're looking for in a weekend/daily car in replacement for your S, then we can go from there.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Type R is going to be released late spring of this year. I would take a hard look at that for prices ranging in the area of the ISF.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:05 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

The ISF is a very nice car. Quiet. Pretty good handling. One note... 10-quarts of oil per change. I use Mobil One 0-20W, extended performance (you need two 5-quart bottles per change!!!). Car has replaceable oil filter cartridge. It's hard to get a jack under the front of the car. You need a LONG, LOW jack. I use two ramps on front tires. Much easier. The oil filter cartridge is easy to get at, once you remove a bottom access panel.

You need to pop a bunch of push-type plastic fender clips to get to the air filter --- or nearly anything on the top of the engine. 3/4rd of which break. And Honda ones are too big for Toyota. So, you need a big bag of them, each time you work on the top of the engine.

I'm an old dog. Never could get used to those paddle shifters. I just keep it in D, 90% of the time. Handling is surprisingly good. Bottom scrapes driveways and speed bumps like the S2000. Need to slow to a crawl to avoid rashes. Gas mileage sucks. 20MPG max with 60-70% freeway cruising. Way under, if you do stop-&-go torture. Hard to go for max mileage, as the car's response to the throttle is tantalizingly nice. And you don't hear the engine, or wind noise --- like on the S2000. Like, you hit 100MPH going to Vegas or SF and not even know it.

Very nice daily driver. Sig Other loves it.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Just so you know, the Civic Si will be released this spring/early summer.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:11 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

2017 Honda Civic Type R First Look Review

Type R has been revealed as well and will launch this spring (not sure if it'll be in the UK first or if the US launch will coincide).
Old 03-07-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

Why not just fix the S? You can get a used trans for like $700.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What's wrong with your transmission?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ISF is a no brainer, Lexus reliability and V8 Power, nothing compares to the V8, leave the Civic to the Civic Fanboys. Get a big boys toy!!!
Old 03-07-2017, 12:25 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
What's wrong with your transmission?
Likely nothing. Adjust clutch rod to zero play, change clutch fluid, change trans fluid, shift at a higher RPM.

Sell your S OP.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading my S for a 2011 Lexus ISF