Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking of trading my S for a 2011 Lexus ISF

Old 03-09-2017, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
What are the known issues, if any, with the ISF? Are the oldest models safe/reliable buys?
From what I have gathered, they have a leaky water pump and the older models have a valley plate leak, so coolant seeps into the V. Otherwise pretty bullet proof.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:44 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by JMChristopher
Thought about M3, Boxter, Cayman, Z4M... Need something with some more space. I have had underpowered, torqueless cars all my life. Time for something with some grunt and space.
That makes sense. I'll tell you now, go test drive a Mustang GT, and compare that to the Lexus. Seriously!
Old 03-10-2017, 06:05 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

C6 vettes are well within your price range, power and a pretty big hatch, seats suck for track but are comfy. I second the mustang gt, dealers are discounting alot right now.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Thought about M3, Boxter, Cayman, Z4M... Need something with some more space. I have had underpowered, torqueless cars all my life. Time for something with some grunt and space.
My first car was an Integra. Drove it for 9 years before adding an E39 M5. Talk about a change. Went from ~150lb/ft (modded) to 369, stripped out A/C, power steering, and sound insulation to power headrests, Alcantara headliner, leather dash and doors (and even sun visors), and two different types of washer fluid (one extra-intensive). It's really nice to have power and comfort.

Why are you ruling out M3 but strongly considering IS-F? You know the same-gen M3 sedan was bigger inside, available with a manual or excellent dual-clutch, and in most ways better than the IS-F, right? IS-F is more reliable but you should at least drive an M3 before deciding.

Also, I know Lexus made some pretty substantial tuning improvements to the IS-F in later years (diff and suspension were the big ones I think).
Old 03-10-2017, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by white98ls
My first car was an Integra. Drove it for 9 years before adding an E39 M5. Talk about a change. Went from ~150lb/ft (modded) to 369, stripped out A/C, power steering, and sound insulation to power headrests, Alcantara headliner, leather dash and doors (and even sun visors), and two different types of washer fluid (one extra-intensive). It's really nice to have power and comfort.

Why are you ruling out M3 but strongly considering IS-F? You know the same-gen M3 sedan was bigger inside, available with a manual or excellent dual-clutch, and in most ways better than the IS-F, right? IS-F is more reliable but you should at least drive an M3 before deciding.

Also, I know Lexus made some pretty substantial tuning improvements to the IS-F in later years (diff and suspension were the big ones I think).
I know the M3 is better. I just don't want to pay for repairs and maintenance. Not gunna use all the performance all the time and would rather just have something reliable. Yes, later model year ISF's have a diff, better suspension, and a bunch of other upgrades. That is why I am going for the 2011.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:05 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I know the M3 is better. I just don't want to pay for repairs and maintenance. Not gunna use all the performance all the time and would rather just have something reliable. Yes, later model year ISF's have a diff, better suspension, and a bunch of other upgrades. That is why I am going for the 2011.
Fair enough, can't blame you. Would have considered the IS-F myself if I didn't have some strange draw to shifting myself
Old 03-13-2017, 04:48 PM

Ok... so fun development:

After enduring the harsh ride of the ISF, I thought maybe a 2015ish is350 fsport might be a good compromise. It may not have the power, but it is a bit newer, should have a better ride and still have good power for what I need. Well, it is pretty perfect. It's kinda quick, quiet, comfy and a little sporty when ya want it. It's everything I could want in a daily... but its not an s2000. After looking (probably in the wrong place) for a replacement that would just be a bit more of a cruiser, I got to thinking about it and I just think that I would regret replacing the S2k. There are better cars these days, but they just don't feel the same. I am worried that I will never replace it and when I did, I would regret it.

Long story short, tried lexus as a replacement for my s2000 which is probably just a silly notion and decided to just keep the S.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:24 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Smart man.

You can always buy a second car, but the S2000 is one of those unicorn cars where the engineering and spirit are captured perfectly. Cars like this are few and far between and become practically impossible to obtain as time marches on.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was in a similar situation a month ago. I had a BMW 330ci ZHP and my S2000. I was looking at the ISF for a fun daily driver four door sedan.
After doing a couple months of research I found a certified pre-owned 2012 ISF in Chicago. Flew in last month and drove it home 5.5 hours. No regrets, this car is so much fun. I decided to sell the BMW and hold on to the s2000. The s2000 is still a fantastic car, and feels that much more special when I rotate driving between the ISF and the S2000. With the newness of the ISF, I am enjoying driving it more than my S2000 at the moment, but I still think the S2000 is amazing when I take it for a spin. The ISF is awesome too, different animal, way more powerful, and operation is with paddles that shift very fast and that makes both cars different yet both fun to drive. I considered what it would be like if I just owned the ISF and sold my S2000, I would probably miss driving the S2000 some (I'm keeping it), but if you were wondering if the ISF could replace it, I think it could. It is fun to drive! I really enjoy driving my ISF and not really miss driving my S2000 much in my first month of ownership of the ISF, but I have driven the S2000 some days to stretch it's legs and it makes me remember how good it is too.
I will make more videos reviewing my car but this the first one of my new ISF.

If you are still considering an ISF, as you stated yes get a 2011+ model is good for all the nice updates, LSD, new LFA inspired gauge cluster design, front day time running led lights, revised suspension, and new wheels. All my research says the ISF is going to be a reliable car and for daily drive you get pretty good MPG for a 5L V8! My city driving I average 19 MPG and that is all city traffic (secret is to use the SNOW mode button and operate it in Drive mode and it will keep the revs low). A fun daily driver makes going to work and leaving work so much more enjoyable, so I'll often use the sport button and put it in manual. The paddles shift very fast. I'm happy I pulled the trigger on the ISF.

The following 2 users liked this post by S2KBreaker:
berlinablackie (04-20-2017), JMChristopher (04-09-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Z4M Coupe / Roadster
Boxter S / Spyder / Cayman Variants
911/911S Variants

and thats all...

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading my S for a 2011 Lexus ISF