Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Those of you who went from the s2k to 335

Old 12-02-2008, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those of you who went from the s2k to 335

For those of you who went from the s2k to the 335, do you enjoy the 335 more? or do you still miss the s2k from time to time.

Does the 335 beat the s2k in track times?

I want the s2k so badly but, in all practicality it might just work out to get a 4 door 335 instead.

any input is welcome on the 335.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:39 AM

I had a 335 2 yr lease and was planning on returning it at the end of the year, bought an 04 S2k this July. I ended up selling my S2000 and buying my 335 off-lease instead and I am 100% happy with my decision.

You guys will probably rip me apart for this..but here goes

I had a lot of fun in the S2k, it's a great car, cheap to own, tons of fun to drive, looks great..but as an overall package I enjoy my 335 a lot more. It's a solid car, amazing power, has all the features..to me it has everything. You still have room inside, but can really get going when you want. It doesn't handle like an S2k..however not many cars out there are going to give you the overall feel and handling of a 3. It is still a lot of fun to drive, just doesn't excite as much as the S2k.

I'm more of a sports sedan guy than a sports car. I even have a Fit as my DD and still wanted to go back to my 335. Some things I don't like about the 335..it's heavy, it's expensive to own, everybody has a 3 series!!

I sometimes look at pictures of my S2k and miss it..but that's about it.

In all honesty, this is apples to oranges..totally different cars and I really don't like comparing them..it's not fair. Go drive both, focus what they do best and then decide.

As for your question of track times..it depends on what track..a dragstrip stock for stock the 335 will smoke the S2k. I don't know much on road courses but I would imagine the 335 could pull slightly better times there as well.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:53 AM

Update: I just looked at some pics of some Silverstone AP2's..I miss it a lot
Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Totally different cars, if you need the room and like the torque/creature comforts get the 335. If you want a no-nonsense RWD roadster that has no goodies like navigation, XM radio, a little arm that feeds the seatbelt to your hand when you close the door get the S2000.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 AM

They are super different. Anybody that says they dont miss their s2k is probably lying. Its a two seater high-revving roadster. Whats not to love/miss?

I think I'm more of a sport sedan guy than a sports car guy too. I'm not even into coupes. Weird..I know. My next car will definitely have four doors and should blow the doors off my s2k in every measurable aspect. The category of most fun to drive will still give the nod to the s2k.

On another note:

The 335i didnt get a power bump. But who knows, the motor was already underrated by at least 35hp. BMW widened the track of the rear amongst other things many wouldnt notice. I'm curious to see how this compares to the competition.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower,Dec 2 2008, 09:05 AM
Totally different cars, if you need the room and like the torque/creature comforts get the 335. If you want a no-nonsense RWD roadster that has no goodies like navigation, XM radio, a little arm that feeds the seatbelt to your hand when you close the door get the S2000.
2007 cars have XM.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:06 AM

Funny. I was actually considering getting a E92 335i for my next car. But Might just stroke my S2K instead.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:14 AM

diff strokes for diff folks

instead of askin which one ppl enjoyed more, why not ask urself what u want in a car first?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GPWonTan,Dec 2 2008, 12:14 PM
diff strokes for diff folks

instead of askin which one ppl enjoyed more, why not ask urself what u want in a car first?

I currently have my S2k and a 135i. The 135i is a blast to drive but the fun factor is higher overall in the S.

That being said I like the 135i much better overall. It is still fun to drive but is a much much better car to drive everyday then the S is. The S got to be a little harsh for me to drive everyday. Roads here are not the best and not having some of the creature comforts that the 135i has puts it lower on the list for me.

Best option is to have both. I find myself missing my S after a couple of weeks of driving the 135i and getting back into the S for a drive after some time has passed is one of the best feelings in the world.

Bottom line is you WILL miss your S2k if you end up getting the 335i but I would first figure out what it is you want from your vehicle and then go from there. I am trying to sell my S right now and I am sure I will miss it when it is gone but the 135i is a great car to fill that void
Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bz2005s2k,Dec 2 2008, 12:40 PM

I currently have my S2k and a 135i. The 135i is a blast to drive but the fun factor is higher overall in the S.

That being said I like the 135i much better overall. It is still fun to drive but is a much much better car to drive everyday then the S is. The S got to be a little harsh for me to drive everyday. Roads here are not the best and not having some of the creature comforts that the 135i has puts it lower on the list for me.

Best option is to have both. I find myself missing my S after a couple of weeks of driving the 135i and getting back into the S for a drive after some time has passed is one of the best feelings in the world.

Bottom line is you WILL miss your S2k if you end up getting the 335i but I would first figure out what it is you want from your vehicle and then go from there. I am trying to sell my S right now and I am sure I will miss it when it is gone but the 135i is a great car to fill that void
You guys are talking insane to me ! Yes the S is more fun to drive but yet you want something as a better daily driver but yet you want to give up the S ?
I have never considered a BMW as replacement for the S for I feel they are too expensive to maintain past the 80,000 mile mark and if I am going German I am going for the brass ring and that is a Porsche 911.
I understand completely that the S is not a very good daily driver so why not keep the S and get a less expensive daily driver ??? For me the S is the sunny warm weather machine while my Civic is my daily driver most of the time which is especially nice getting 37 mpg and for winter and when you feel the need for stoplight torque my Forester Turbo fills the slot there. Now to me that is well rounded - Economy car daily - Check, Fun Sports car- Check , Winter buggy SUV with Clark Kent/Superman Personality - Check.