Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Those of you who went from the s2k to 335

Old 12-03-2008, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own both an 08 335i and an 07 S2K. I enjoy driving the 335i more around town and on long trips. It is more comfortable, has more power, and really is the ultimate driving machine. But.....When it comes down to hard core driving and mountain roads, I always want my S to take up the slack, the overall feel for the road in the S is uncomparable to the BMW.

The BMW is my wifes DD and I have a Truck that is my DD, so the S is a treat for me when it comes out of the garage.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by LittleBluePill,Dec 2 2008, 12:46 PM
2007 cars have XM.
06 cars have XM available also
Old 12-04-2008, 02:05 AM

the 335i is boring. it has over assisted brakes, slow steering, average at best visibility, complex dashboard electronics, inner wheel spin and hints of turbo lag.

I loved getting back into my 8 year old s2k afterward, the driving position, throttle response and feeling of the brakes are worlds apart.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:00 AM

the 335i is boring. it has over assisted brakes, slow steering, average at best visibility, complex dashboard electronics, inner wheel spin and hints of turbo lag.
Just out of curiousity how are the dashboard electronics any more 'complex' than those in the S2000 and aside from top down driving visibility in the 335 is 10,000,000 times better than the S with the top up. 'Hints of turbo lag' amuses me compared to a car that is basically a pig until VTEC...they are very different cars and it's not fair to compare them. The 335 is infinitely more practical as a daily driver and it just so happens that I will out perform the S2000 in almost every measurable category...what a turd of a car.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX,Dec 2 2008, 10:16 PM
You guys are talking insane to me ! Yes the S is more fun to drive but yet you want something as a better daily driver but yet you want to give up the S ?
I have never considered a BMW as replacement for the S for I feel they are too expensive to maintain past the 80,000 mile mark and if I am going German I am going for the brass ring and that is a Porsche 911.
I understand completely that the S is not a very good daily driver so why not keep the S and get a less expensive daily driver ??? For me the S is the sunny warm weather machine while my Civic is my daily driver most of the time which is especially nice getting 37 mpg and for winter and when you feel the need for stoplight torque my Forester Turbo fills the slot there. Now to me that is well rounded - Economy car daily - Check, Fun Sports car- Check , Winter buggy SUV with Clark Kent/Superman Personality - Check.
Well, I will not argue that having three cars is a good option. Right now I own my 135i, my S, and a WRX Wagon for winter duty.

Problem with the cars I have right now is they cost too much for me to keep. Not everyone can afford three cars when you include insurance and everything else.

The other problem for me with your current setup is you have to drive a beater Civic to and from work everyday and I get to enjoy a very refined, fun to drive, torque monster to and from work everyday

Plus, I only have a two car garage so at least one of the cars gets to stay out in the cold during the winter. It is nice to be able to jump in the car and not have to worry about frost or snow/ice in the morning. Not to mention that I can drive the BMW all winter much more safely and comfortably then the S so the S just sits in the garage all winter(I live in Central Oregon and we get a fair amount of snow during the winter).

I am also going to have to agree with derryck.

reedkr2- How can you complain about turbo lag in the 335i? It has virtually none and like derryck said the S is gutless until at least 5500rpm. Same goes for the visibility comment, the S is far far worse with top up then the 335i or 135i. I will however agree about the brakes and steering. For spirited driving the S wins hands down but for daily driving the 335i/135i takes the cake.

These cars can not be compared to each other really. It all depends on what you are looking for in a car. Balls out sports car, S2k Great DD that will not bore you, 335i or better yet 135i
Old 12-04-2008, 01:43 PM

I loved the 335i when I tested it, but not as a replacement for my old S2000. Would have made a great family car, so I offered to buy one for my wife to replace her Jetta TDI. She declined, and I bought the Cayman S to replace the S2000.

I've since driven a 135i, and feel it's a great middle ground between the 335 and S2000 if you're undecided. I'd have been willing to replace my S2000 w/ one of those had it been out and I needed a back seat.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:15 PM

Totally different cars. I miss my S2K sometimes, but then I see one on the street and it reminds me why I sold it. Small and slow (stock that is)

My 335 is a freeway monster, making 431 ft/lbs at 1800rpm. It's got every comfort I could imagine and its fast to boot. Very easy car to drive fast, but feels porky around corners always. Even with my KW V2s. Handling is no where near that of the S2K, as is the fun of getting sideways (NO LSD on the 335). Looks awesome to boot. Everyone stares wherever I go, and my 335 is relatively mild in look mods.

I do miss my E46 M3 much more, and always think about selling the 335 and buying another one of those
Old 12-04-2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by diGital.James,Dec 4 2008, 04:15 PM
Totally different cars. I miss my S2K sometimes, but then I see one on the street and it reminds me why I sold it. Small and slow (stock that is)

My 335 is a freeway monster, making 431 ft/lbs at 1800rpm. It's got every comfort I could imagine and its fast to boot. Very easy car to drive fast, but feels porky around corners always. Even with my KW V2s. Handling is no where near that of the S2K, as is the fun of getting sideways (NO LSD on the 335). Looks awesome to boot. Everyone stares wherever I go, and my 335 is relatively mild in look mods.

I do miss my E46 M3 much more, and always think about selling the 335 and buying another one of those

Although I did get more positive looks and comments from my S2k then I do the 135i. Usually I only get comments from car enthusiasts about my 135i and I always got comments from the "average joe" on my S2k.

I do however get a lot of negative looks in my 135i and I never really did in my S2k. It must just be the BMW thing which I admit was guilty of a fews times in my past

One thing that sucks now for me is I always had people wanting to race me in the S2k. Now no one tries in the 135i Either they don't see it as a threat because they don't know what it is or they know that it is fast I don't street race much but I would like to run a couple cars in my 135i just for fun
Old 12-04-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bz2005s2k,Dec 4 2008, 05:20 PM
One thing that sucks now for me is I always had people wanting to race me in the S2k. Now no one tries in the 135i
That would be a positive to me. I can't stand a$$hole morons trying to bait me into committing a felony (in TX).
Old 12-04-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by derryck,Dec 4 2008, 09:00 AM
The 335 is infinitely more practical as a daily driver and it just so happens that I will out perform the S2000 in almost every measurable category...what a turd of a car.
You can run 0-60 in the sub-5 seconds, a high-13/low-14 second quarter mile, and reach a top speed of about 150 miles per hour? I think not. You, sir, can not outperform any S2000 in any measurable category.