Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thoughts about a 850hp Z06

Old 02-02-2016, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thoughts about a 850hp Z06

Ok here goes...I've owned a lot of different cars over the years, and I have to say the S2000 is one of my favorites (if not my favorite ever). I just drove my CR today, and I'm in love with it.

With that said, I've been wanting and looking for a car with more power. I came across this 2008 850hp Z06, and I can't seem to stop thinking about it. It's close to perfect, and is very drivable for such a high hp car. It was built by a very high end shop, the current owner has about 40k in build receipts. I've never really liked corvettes, and never thought I would buy one, but I actually like this one. If purchased, It wouldn't replace any if my other cars, it would just be an addition.

Looking for honest opinions about this Z06, or any Z06 for that matter. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2016, 08:49 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

850 BHP! Have you ever driven an auto with this kinda power?
Old 02-02-2016, 09:28 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Risky. Cars like that are a labor of passion and love, not always common sense. Not being involved with the build yourself, its going to be extremely challenging to get a true sense of how well this car is put together from a reliability stand point as well as things to watch for as a owner. Your trusting the guy who wants to sell it, to indulge you in that. This would be serious extravagance as far as im concerned, meaning the car serves no purpose other then wearing through tires and parts like no other. Be prepared for the worst going in and hope you dont experience that on your watch, before you sell it to someone else in the future. Im not saying it wouldn't be thrilling to drive or even own to pull out on Sundays if you can afford such a limited car. But after scaring yourself a few times with it, and the new luster and rounds of friends circle jerking subsides, you have to ask if its a car you really feel passionate about every time you look at it and get in for a spin. For me, my custom S2000 has been extremely difficult to duplicate my passion and enjoyment from something else. So id say, if that passion is still there for yours, the safer more reasonable option would be to throw a supercharger on it and get some of that thrill back. A well sorted boosted S2000 is extremely difficult to match on a road course in the right hands no matter what its up against. I assure you it will be quicker then a 850whp C6 in most peoples hands and 850whp really does little good on the street, just that much more frustrating and dangerous with people always in your way. There is your voice of reason for the evening but its exactly what i would tell my own friends if they came to me with the same reserved excitement about such a car.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
...after scaring yourself a few times with it, and the new luster and rounds of friends circle jerking subsides, you have to ask if its a car you really feel passionate about every time you look at it and get in for a spin....and 850whp really does little good on the street, just that much more frustrating and dangerous with people always in your way.
QFE

I wouldn't have believed this until I boosted my S. Even at just over 400whp in this car, the first 3 gears are 90% unusable with any more than half throttle. Anywhere I point the car it gets there VERY quickly. This is usually 2 feet from the back end of someone elses car

As far as reliability, I always just look at buying used cars as buying somebody elses problems. That goes double for modded cars. I only buy used, but I'm willing and able to fix the problems it *could* have before I pull the trigger
Old 02-03-2016, 04:01 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

If you're adding to the fleet, and you have the resources, go for it.
C6Z's are awesome bang for the buck.
If the power adders were done by quality shops like A&A or ECS, then you should be good to go.

Best of both worlds:
Don't give up the S2k though... You'd regret it.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Just my two cents, unless you are a very skilled driver to me it would be terrifying to own and drive a C6Z06 with that much power. But I am not the most skilled driver in the world, so...
Old 02-03-2016, 05:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My thought is that this car is probably undrivable at full power and was built for someone primarily interested in bragging rights. I'd rather save my money and put mods for this car into the suspension, brakes, or tires.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:07 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

You'd likely die going from around 200rwhp to 850rwhp. I've driven my ZR1 for 5+ years now (including a lot of track driving) and it has around 550rwhp stock and it can still get a little wild on the street pretty quickly. I couldn't imagine really getting to enjoy an extra 300rwhp above that on the street without dying or going to jail in a hurry.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Useless on the street, useless on the track and probably going to blow up.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:40 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Imo, 850 hp is ridiculous - for daily or even fun use, you are so far beyond usable power, why have it? You could have a 400-500 hp Corvette and be just as happy.

Go find a "normal" C6 vette or Z06, and enjoy that. No need to jump from 250 hp to 850 hp, and you'll have something that is more enjoyable and usable, not to mention cheaper and more reliable.

Quick Reply: Thoughts about a 850hp Z06