Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

thoughts on gtr

Old 08-21-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Not to side track but I don't need to change out pads or fluid on my brembos. The pad and fluid combo Honda put in the S couldn't handle a few laps for me. That's what I was referring too. I tracked and autoX my S a ton and got to the point where changing to a track setup became a pita. So I just left then on.
I think comparing the stock brakes on a $32k car (when it was sold) to Brembos is a little unfair. How many cars today under say $40k with similar performance can you take to the track without even changing the stock pads/fluid? I honestly don't know, but I'm guessing not a whole lot.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:14 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
I think comparing the stock brakes on a $32k car (when it was sold) to Brembos is a little unfair. How many cars today under say $40k with similar performance can you take to the track without even changing the stock pads/fluid? I honestly don't know, but I'm guessing not a whole lot.
I think brembos have become more common. The STI for example has them. Vettes I believe come with them. You can get mustangs with them too!

32k in 99 is like 47k today. Lots of good options under that with brembos now.

btw my brembos are just dot 3 fluid. Nothing special.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:41 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Just because they are Brembos does not mean they are all the same.

Tough to beat a GTR in performance, but it seems that many buyers grow old of them more than similar performance cars. I have no proof to back that up, but I have talked to a few that had GTR's and traded in for "slower cars". Is it that they are too technologically advanced and not as engaging? I have only been in the passenger seat a couple of times.

GTR is great for the buyer who wants technological advancement over driver engagement. GTR in pinnacle for the JDM crowd, this side of a new NSX, LFA or maybe even an LC500.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
so looks aside, the recent NSX is large and heavy too. They are within inches of each other. I always find it interesting when people knock the GTR for it's weight. It seems to me it was just a little ahead of the curve here.

there is also a usable trunk. I agree with you, the GTR is the everyday super car. At 60k in the used market it starts to get very compelling.
Within inches of each other? The NSX is way shorter (47.8" vs 53.9"). HALF A FOOT shorter is not insignificant. Similar weight, yes, but it's nowhere near as tall and it's definitely not ugly. Two out of three ain't bad ( ) ...and very few that drive the NSX have reported that it felt heavy (unlike the GT-R).

I obviously haven't driven NSX V2 so I couldn't say.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:48 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Tough to beat a GTR in performance, but it seems that many buyers grow old of them more than similar performance cars. I have no proof to back that up, but I have talked to a few that had GTR's and traded in for "slower cars". Is it that they are too technologically advanced and not as engaging? I have only been in the passenger seat a couple of times.
I've only driven a GTR on track, never on the street. A little more background, I had a 2005 Evo before the S2k. Like I said, the GTR is brutally fast. It's exceptionally easy to drive fast. It reminds me a lot of the Evo, but double the power. But it's not that entertaining. Granted, I drove a stock one, I think 2012 model year. If you saw the wheel back and forth like an idiot, the car will just carry on with some understeer. Get a bit aggressive with the throttle, either on or off, and the car doesn't move around on you too much. It's really a point and shoot car; get it turned and mash the throttle and let the electronics sort it all out.

A car that is much cheaper that I found to be much more entertaining to drive was a base 2007 Cayman a buddy had. Drove that a little bit in the canyons. Steering feel was phenomenal and the way that car rotates based on steering AND throttle input is just something that can't be matched by anything that isn't mid-engine. One downside was the manual transmission which felt a little vague; hard to beat the feel of the S2k tranny.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
A car that is much cheaper that I found to be much more entertaining to drive was a base 2007 Cayman a buddy had. Drove that a little bit in the canyons. Steering feel was phenomenal and the way that car rotates based on steering AND throttle input is just something that can't be matched by anything that isn't mid-engine. One downside was the manual transmission which felt a little vague; hard to beat the feel of the S2k tranny.
My mom has one of these. Steering and also brake feel are really great.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did alot of thinking and am still leaning toward a gtr. I do need to go on test drives because this could be an expensive mistake lol. If I replace the s2k, I understand the driving experience won't be the same, but just feel like I want something new. My new vehicle will be a more of a "replacement toy" instead of a replacement s2k. Who knows, maybe I am more of a straight line guy? I do know I want something with 500+ hp that responds well to bolt ons. I realize my options are limited because I am not really into German cars. It would be alot easier to just modify a c6z06, but I really don't like how common vettes are. The rarity of the s2k has been one of the major reasons, I've kept the car.

I did go for a drive in the s2k today, and really enjoyed it. So now, I'm open to getting an older R35 and modifying it to the 500+ hp level. On another note, does anyone have any experience with the RC-F? The price point is even more appealing to me and now I see there is an s/c kit available....
Old 08-23-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Another car I am going to throw out there just because you had mentioned rcf and rare is the Ats v. I am not sure what your budget is but these can be had under $50k all day long. I know mine has some issues which are getting worked out but the car itself is fantastic. The handling is amazing, it has 464hp from the factory but with basic tune and exhsust can be darn near 550whp. Also it has the luxuries of a great daily and those Recaros just look sick. Just a thought.
The following users liked this post:
LDfavoriteson (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LDfavoriteson
Is there anyone who has sold their s2k for a gtr and regretted it?
Yes, I sold my first S2000 for a 2014 GTR, and it's something that I still regret to this day. I eventually picked up another S2000 since the GTR couldn't completely fill the void of the S2000, and had both in my stable for about 8 months. But after about 2.5 years with the GTR, I decided to punt it.

The only issues I had with the car was that the transmission started leaking (a common problem on the 2014), and a very noisy bellhousing. Luckily Nissan replaced both components under warranty.

As others have said, it's a very fast and capable car.

I definitely do not miss (or regret selling) the GTR as much as my first S2K.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DL771
Yes, I sold my first S2000 for a 2014 GTR, and it's something that I still regret to this day. I eventually picked up another S2000 since the GTR couldn't completely fill the void of the S2000, and had both in my stable for about 8 months. But after about 2.5 years with the GTR, I decided to punt it.

The only issues I had with the car was that the transmission started leaking (a common problem on the 2014), and a very noisy bellhousing. Luckily Nissan replaced both components under warranty.

As others have said, it's a very fast and capable car.

I definitely do not miss (or regret selling) the GTR as much as my first S2K.
This is exactly what I'm afraid of lolol. Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: thoughts on gtr