S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   Thoughts on Next DD (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/thoughts-next-dd-1190046/)

LikeTheNight 11-30-2018 08:23 AM

Thoughts on Next DD

When winter breaks I'll be in the market to get a better second car (currently a RSX-S). Right now I drive the s2k unless there's snow or rain so I'd like to find something fun so I can put fewer miles on the s2k. I really hate driving the RSX.

To keep it relatively short I'm not looking at RWD because I don't like curtailing my driving and don't trust my road rage in poor conditions. If I was going RWD I'd look at the 135. Not really into Ford or Subaru so no ST, RS, or outdated overpriced STIs. And I know too many people with the current gen WRX.

I've been relatively set on getting the Type R for awhile but the engine/exhaust sound is so bleh. I know it's gotten nothing but praise for it's driving but the FWD is also a drawback - especially once tuned it sounds like grip disappears. Plus I'd really like to step out of the Honda game for a change; owned nothing but Honda. I love the seats but looking at the dash I get the been there done that feeling.

Currently I'm considering a mk2 TT RS - am I crazy for even looking at these things? I've just started researching them and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info/discussion out there about them. It seems like fewer people buy them because they compete with the M2, Porsche, and whatnot which I fully understand. But again looking at the AWD (I know the Haldex and basics so far) and it doesn't seem any less reliable than it's german counterparts. Most posts on here are outdated when i searched. Anybody have any experience with this car or DD'ing it? Other than it's an expensive used car it checks all boxes for me (Fast, fun, sounds great, AWD, hatch for just enough practicality). I know the Golf R is an option too but there are long posts on here already about it. My knock on the Golf is I'm not big on the looks.

TL;DR Looking for updated thoughts on the mk2 TT RS and if I'm nuts for considering one vs the Type R. Single male with only me in the car almost all the time

vader1 11-30-2018 08:35 AM

You don't mention how much you want to spend and why you hate the RSX. I would have said if the RSX was your type of car and you just wanted new, the Civic Si is a steal of a deal right in the same wheelhouse. But it looks like you want some more performance perhaps and don't care if you go used?

I am a big fan of GTI's and Golf R's. I would not buy the TT rs to pair with an S2000 because you then have two cars that both can't carry people or stuff and you will find yourself needing that at times. Golf's are great for that. So is the Type R, but you said you did not like the engine sound.

If it were me, I would not have my two only cars being two seaters. I'd look for something different. You might find yourself in a situation where you really prefer one to the other. If you like the S2000 more, do you really want to plunk down TT RS money on something you will drive a couple thousand miles a year in snow and then it will sit? I'd be looking for something that can haul stuff, or people, or be a good long haul road trip car or just something different from the other. But you want what you want.

The positive about that Type R you don't like is that it will hold its value better than most choices due to being a sought after niche vehicle like the S2000, and Honda reliability. But if you don't want RWD you can pick up a low mile M235i in Xdrive AWD (will only come in an auto with the AWD) for about $28k and handle snow but also be fun around town and give you a back seat. That makes some power with a cheap tune.

JonBoy 11-30-2018 08:44 AM

Why not consider an RS3 instead? 4-doors, more practical, just as quick, cheaper to buy, etc. Doesn't look as good but still, it's a "real" DD and you already have a 2-seater sports car.

CMK 11-30-2018 08:59 AM

Love my Mk7 GTI. Got it for a steal, too. I don't know how the deals are these days (bought in Jun 2016) but it's a whole lot of car for the money. The interior's a great place to spend some time, which makes it an ideal DD, and it won't bore you with the torque at low RPM.

I bought a 6MT but if I could go back in time I would've gotten a DSG. The 6MT is geared too tall and after the S2000's shifter it seems sloppy and sluggish in comparison. The DSG can handle the ECU flashes everyone seems to be getting these days, which puts the GTI at a significant power advantage over the S2000. Pair that with a good set of tires and the GTI is legit fast.

LikeTheNight 11-30-2018 09:52 AM

Sorry I was trying to keep it short. Looking to spend no more than $40k. The RSX has no torque whatsoever, feels old, and the suspension is I think worn out because it rides really rough. I should have mentioned MT is a must; Iv tried to convince myself otherwise because I know some paddle shifters these days are good but not my cup of tea. Pretty much if I go FWD it will be the Type R and only the Type R.

Vader, I plan on driving whatever I get most of the time but in my mind I'm going to always prefer the s2k. My sole gripe about the s2k is wishing it had just a little more low end grunt; other than that I would happily drive nothing else at all times. If I lived in a warm climate it would be my only car without question. The car would have to be pretty bad for me to not be able to take a long trip or care about anything besides driving. I don't care about any safety aides or any creature comforts really. I would upgrade the stereo though for sure. Remote start would be awesome, as I have that in my RSX, but I also plan on upgrading apartments so I would have a better garage situation and not really need it. Plus it's a wiring nightmare on those german cars

JonBoy, I hadn't looked into the RS3 but they are paired together in a lot of conversations I've been reading. If I was going for the most practical and wanted a sedan then I would get the Type R but thanks for the suggestion.

Practicality is a bonus but I drive just me around 99% of the time, so not too much of a factor in my decision. All I need to haul are golf clubs and my bag of safety equipment. The few occasions outside that I have family and friends to help me

coop3422 11-30-2018 12:29 PM

Golf R sounds like it might fit the bill?

mosesbotbol 12-01-2018 05:24 AM

The Audi MK2 TT RS is a rare car and wear items will be pricey. Finding the right one becomes a national search. From what I read they are different breed than your regular Audi. It's a neat choice.

911 not a consideration? Gives you more options when it comes time to get it fixed and Porsche is a Porsche.

LikeTheNight 12-01-2018 05:54 AM

What little Iv looked into any kind of Porsche it was a quick nope on the $. And aren't the majority of them RWD? That's kind of the kicker with the TT vs any of it's competitors is its AWD.

It's definitely rare though. I'm not used to finding such little information about a prospective car. Which does concern me a bit. I always thought the TT was more common here in the states, in any trim. I know we have some German specialty places here around Cincy so may do some more digging on what maintenance stuff costs and what I can do myself. I believe 75k miles is the big maintenance interval. I'm still trying to find the most active US based forum (I never would have thought that would be an issue); I found the one for the UK. I know there was at least one guy on s2ki that had one, is he still around?

I have no problem flying but it would be nice to see one in person. My work travels should make that a little easier.

mosesbotbol 12-01-2018 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by LikeTheNight (Post 24539119)
What little Iv looked into any kind of Porsche it was a quick nope on the $. And aren't the majority of them RWD? That's kind of the kicker with the TT vs any of it's competitors is its AWD.

I just looked on cars.com at all Porsche AWD 911's at under 40K with less 100K miles and there were 103 available up to model 2008. Porsche parts I bet are going to be generally less expensive than Audi RS parts. RS cars are known for expensive replacement parts since they are using top shelf stuff. Mechanics are building and fixing Porsche engines en mass daily. Not so much experience with Audi RS engines, especially in your locale. Think of the whole ownership experience. Not knocking the TT RS at all, just shedding some light on owning a rare car.

Are there any TT RS's near you at any cost for you to test drive?

InterHat 12-02-2018 07:08 PM

Go a completely different route and buy a softer luxury car with some space as a DD instead? That way you're motivated to drive the S2000 when you want fun and your daily won't be a fatiguing hellbox when you get stuck in traffic or need to drive a long trip. My friend's dailying a GTI right now, he misses his 335 a lot.