Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Toyota culture and why they can't build

Old 07-27-2006, 08:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

japan has been that way after losing WWII. they've been in this beehive mode for the past 60 years trying to prove something to the world so they work harder and longer than any country. this is nothing new and certainly Toyota is not the only one who practices this method of business. every worker in japan is overworked. business culture is not just different in every country but any business culture is different regardless of country. so, for us to say they're the stalin of the auto industry is wrong. have you guys seen the movie GungHo with Michael Keaton. its an over the top portrayal of the japanese auto businessman but they are pretty close if you take away comedy aspect of the movie.

i've been to japan many times for my job and i certainly could not work there. the bullet trains in the morning are filled with sleeping japanese business men with identical agent smith suits on which is clearly a sign of overwork. the subways of NY are filled with workers but 90% of the people riding the subway are awake. overtime pay is not acceptable in the japanese workforce just like tipping at restuarant is not acceptable.

just take the book as another Jose Canseco tell all book to make a name and a buck for an underpaid design engineer.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDXLuvr,Jul 27 2006, 04:14 AM
A counter point - If Japan isn't innovative - why is it that most of the electronic technology is developed there. Why is it that Honda's engineering is consider to be so innovative. What about Toyota's Hybrid technology. I sure don't see Germans or Americans who have come up with Hybrid technology.

However, you know Japan has issues when families sign up for 50 or 75 year mortages. Japan is producing at its max capabilities.

That's why we have Korea, China and India to lean on.
innovations don't generally come out of Japan, they are either manufactured there or the manufacturing proces is perfected there. Honda isn't remotely innovative as far as engineering goes. How long have they been using some variation of an oil-pressure activated cam follower, again? What's new and innovative about 15+ year old tech, again? Ford and GM both sell flex-fuel vehicles, Ford has hydrogen models in use in cities around North America, and GM leased electric vehicles to consumers in California long before any Japanese company had hybrid cars for sale, just for example.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:23 AM

Oh hell yeah, Japan is innovative on technology, especially in the last few years! You haven't seen some of their robots, which existed nowhere else in the world.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:12 PM

ASIMO
HONDAJET
and VTECH.

HONDA FTW.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Purple_sky,Jul 27 2006, 11:23 AM
Oh hell yeah, Japan is innovative on technology, especially in the last few years! You haven't seen some of their robots, which existed nowhere else in the world.

i saw the robots at the toyota pavillion at the aichi expo last year and all i kept thinking was robotech and voltron!
Old 07-27-2006, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They (Japanese car mfrs) seem as innovative to me as any big manufacturers these days. Who wants to take a risk? but I do think they have some handicaps that the other countries should have taken bigger advantage of.

Their philosophy of kaizen (continuous improvement) leads to a lot of base hits and fewer home runs. They don't admire "different" individuals so the super-freak creative types are probably not as nurtured there is in other cultures (of course, I could live without any more input from Chris Bangle...).
Old 07-27-2006, 04:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Jul 27 2006, 06:18 PM
They (Japanese car mfrs) seem as innovative to me as any big manufacturers these days. Who wants to take a risk? but I do think they have some handicaps that the other countries should have taken bigger advantage of.

Their philosophy of kaizen (continuous improvement) leads to a lot of base hits and fewer home runs. They don't admire "different" individuals so the super-freak creative types are probably not as nurtured there is in other cultures (of course, I could live without any more input from Chris Bangle...).
i have nothing to add to this topic...i just wanna see you race that TRD dude at willow...

thanks and have a nice day.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by PLYRS 3,Jul 27 2006, 04:23 PM
i have nothing to add to this topic...i just wanna see you race that TRD dude at willow...

thanks and have a nice day.