Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Trade my NC for an S2000 CR?

Old 11-28-2010, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trade my NC for an S2000 CR?

I bought an S2000 CR on Friday, well I thought I did. After verbally agreeing on the price and making arrangements for full funding, the dealer ended up selling it to a a local party in WA.

This wacky idea came about after I tracked a friend's CR last Tuesday, and I thought it was both a lot of fun and a remarkably complete track car straight off the showroom floor. I don't think it's any faster than my NC, prob. a bit slower, but I have to admit that I miss the F2XC's high revving nature on the track, if not so much on the street.

In retrospect, I may have gotten caught up in the pursuit of the deal, and though I have a line on another car which would work for me, I've had some more time to re-consider whether such a move would be beneficial or not. Today, as I was cleaning it up in prep for taking pics and posting it up for sale, I was admiring it and recollecting what a great track car it has been. I think either car would be a great car going forward, and also think I'll miss out on what the other car offers - I wish I could combine the best aspects of each!

It took me a lot of effort, but I overcame my wife's negative perceptions on the CR to at least get her OK w/ the trade, if not excited. She'll miss the convertible aspect, and may have issues driving the CR b/c she thinks it looks like a ricer car and says I'll look like I'm having a mid-life crisis driving it. Fortunately, I no longer care what anyone else thinks about my cars (aside from my wife, of course - I try to maintain her support for my hobbies).

So, now that I have a chance to reconsider, I'm seeking the peanut gallery's divine guidance to see if I'm missing anything. Pros and cons of each car:

MX-5 Pros:
- 300-400 lbs. lighter
- better brakes
- more cornering force for any given size tire (I run 235's all around, could prob. go w/ 255's all around on the CR)
- cheaper consumables
- greater top flexibility - I can go top down, softtop up, or use my removable hardtop
- torquier/faster in a straight line (I have a Cosworth supercharger and full Goodwin exhaust system)
- it's $316/yr. less to insure
- full suspension adjustability of height, damping, and a selection of sway bars

MX-5 Cons:
- The leather seats leave a lot to be desired for track use, and I'm a bit reluctant to put a race seat in since my wife enjoys driving it.
- No real satisfactory turn-key rear aero solution. The quality of the Goodwin rear spoiler sucks, and APR doesn't have a mounting kit for their wings. I have a Mazdaspeed front bumper, which generates usuable downforce in front.
- Uncertainty w/ my future power level. If the Cosworth track-related issues aren't solved soon, I'm going to consider going back to NA. Unfortunately, I love the extra power, it's raised the fun factor considerably and the chassis handles the extra power like it was made for it.

S2000 CR Pros:
- Cloth seats w/ more support - they're not race seats, but are a lot more effective on the track
- I love the CR's instrument cluster - easy to read at a glance, and the power light is a nice if perhaps a bit gimmicky addition.
- It's a great track car in relatively stock form - just add track pads, high temp brake fluid, and sticky tires, I wouldn't need much else (though I'd likely also spring for 17x9 6ULR's to get a meatier, square tire setup)
- Which means, it's easy to keep full factory warranty while enjoying it on the track
- It's a rare car, and they aren't making any more. I can always get another Miata down the road, but I suspect finding a clean, unmolested CR down the road will be as challenging as dong the same w/ a Supra Turbo or FD RX-7 now.
- It should depreciate more slowly, partially offsetting the higher acquisition cost and operating expenses.
- love the sound and visceral experience of the package
- silly as it may sound, I also prefer the CR's steering wheel, tighter steering ratio, and overall racier feeling of the interior
- better aero, s/b beneficial for higher speed corners
- good, consistent power that should hold up to track abuse in all conditions

S2000 CR Cons:
- I'd have to depend on the OEM windshield support and roll hoops, as I wouldn't want to tear up the interior and lose seat adjustability to add an aftermarket rollbar
- I doubt I'd be enjoying it as a convertible
- Although I'd hope to get about the same proceeds from my NC (whether selling to an enthusiast who appreciates the mods, or parting out the mods and selling the car relatively stock), there's the uncertainty of not knowing the cost delta, and having to deal w/ extra insurance costs and dealing w/ off-site storage (possibly 80 miles away) for the CR until the NC sells.
- The brakes will be a downgrade
- I'm projecting the swap to cost a few grand including tax and shipping, but not considering any track prep (tires, pads, wheels, etc.)

A little about my NC:
- Grand Touring Package w/ sport suspension pkg. (main point - has LSD)

Powertrain:
- Cosworth supercharger
- Dynotronics/DPTune ECU reflash
- GWR header/midpipe/catback

Chassis:
- Tein Monoflex coilovers
- RX-8 sport sways
- IL Motorsports chassis braces
- Enkei RP-F1 17x9's w/ Yoko Advan AD08's, 235/40x17
- Carbotech XP10/8 pads

Other:
- OEM removable hardtop
- GWR double-hoop rollbar
- Pioneer Premier double-DIN HU w/ BT audio/phone, HD radio, and iPod/USB connections
- Clearwater component speakers

I really have no idea which way I'll go at this point, but I'm looking forward to readying everyones' input!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Youre right about the s2k being more rare / harder to find down the road.

Are the brakes really that much of a downgrade? I did pads / fluid and mine are great...

Anyway, personally id rather have a CR. I like the way it looks better, nicer interior, "better" motor, im assuming the tranny is nicer?
If you plan on keepign it beyond the warranty you can always go FI to make up that power different (there are alot of nice, reliable kits out now).

Oh and depending on what color you get it doesnt have to look so "ricer". (black doesnt look bad at all)...

So yeah, id rather have the s2k... but then again, im pretty sure im bias.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude, you spent all last year telling us how the MX5 was the bees knees.

Welcome back.

I use a cockpit cover on our CR and still enjoy it topless. You could consider a Flashpro for a little more oomph and higher redline.

255s will fit, but you'll chew fender liners. 235/255 street tires fit on OEM wheels.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Former Moderator

Oh, and CRs come prewired in the trunk for a CD changer which makes iPod integration very simple with the SOS kit.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by mic_crispy,Nov 28 2010, 11:51 PM
Youre right about the s2k being more rare / harder to find down the road.

Are the brakes really that much of a downgrade? I did pads / fluid and mine are great...

Anyway, personally id rather have a CR. I like the way it looks better, nicer interior, "better" motor, im assuming the tranny is nicer?
If you plan on keepign it beyond the warranty you can always go FI to make up that power different (there are alot of nice, reliable kits out now).

Oh and depending on what color you get it doesnt have to look so "ricer". (black doesnt look bad at all)...
I'm not dissing the S2000's brakes, but the NC's are really great!

Agreed that black looks a bit more subdued, but I long ago decided that I'll never buy another black car. My preferences are white (first) and blue (second), which means I'd end up w/ blue since white is so rare and hard to find.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by CKit,Nov 29 2010, 12:03 AM
Dude, you spent all last year telling us how the MX5 was the bees knees.

Welcome back.

I use a cockpit cover on our CR and still enjoy it topless. You could consider a Flashpro for a little more oomph and higher redline.

255s will fit, but you'll chew fender liners. 235/255 street tires fit on OEM wheels.
I still love the NC, otherwise I wouldn't be so torn on what to do. I have no problem picking the NC over a "base" S2000, but the CR really impressed me as a turnkey package.

Thanks for the tip on the iPod integration, but the one I'm looking @ already has a Kenwood Excelon HU.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL I almost said IBT Chris S until I saw you had posted this. I am a bit shocked

" love the sound and visceral experience of the package"

That's the only big difference I see and personally, since you're not out to set record times, I'd go for the S2k. It's very rewarding if you can drive it right. Since you have 17x9 RPF1s, just switch them over to the S2k (if it's the right offset) and a set of 255s all around, some brake pads and better fluid.

My only gripe is that if you do buy a CR, why change the suspension? Why not just buy a normal S2000 in the first place. That way your initial cost is much less and you can potentially end up with a better track car than a stock CR if you do it right.

Also, (playing devil's advocate) since this would be your 4th S2000 IIRC, why not try something different?
Old 11-28-2010, 09:32 PM

^^^ I wouldn't change the CR's suspension, much of the attraction is that it's a turnkey track-ready package. I think of it kind of as a poor man's GT3, though I know it's not nearly as fortified or badass as one.

It would be my third S2000, and I wasn't even looking for another track car...just drove a CR and really liked it. The alternative to getting a CR would be to keep my NC, since it has served me very well. I'm not seriously considering any other cars at this time.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Former Moderator

I like the stock CR springs and sways. Not a big fan of the actual dampers, though.

If it helps convince the wife, Motons on "full soft" are quite cushy on the street.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Nov 28 2010, 10:32 PM
^^^ I wouldn't change the CR's suspension, much of the attraction is that it's a turnkey track-ready package. I think of it kind of as a poor man's GT3, though I know it's not nearly as fortified or badass as one.

It would be my third S2000, and I wasn't even looking for another track car...just drove a CR and really liked it. The alternative to getting a CR would be to keep my NC, since it has served me very well. I'm not seriously considering any other cars at this time.
Keep the MX5, you've already put that much into it why downgrade to a stock CR?

If you feel the urge to drive one - co drive someon'es CR, it's cheaper!

But if you have to get Apex Blue. Best Color, it's got a huge wing - don't hide it!

Quick Reply: Trade my NC for an S2000 CR?