Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Trade offer for S2000

Old 10-25-2012, 06:44 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds too good to be true, that M3 is worth at least 25-30K with those low miles and desireable configuration.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:46 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I appreciate all the advice you guys have given me. I'm familiar enough with the E46 M3 to know about the subframe issue, and of course I'd have the car looked at by a BMW expert before parting with my s2000.

As to my S2000 I just had the 60k mile service done in advance, since I was already at the dealership to have the top looked at and getting a new window regulator. The dealership took photos of the torn top (holes are tiny ATM) so I'm not entirely sure what that means. Hopefully that corporate Honda will weigh in. Either way it will have a new top.

I listed my S2000 on Craigslist for 24,000 which I know is a ridiculously high number but I'm in no great hurray so I don't care if I don't get a lot (or any) bites right now. What I really want is a Cayman S, and unfortunate a very clean 2006 slipped through my fingers last week as I couldn't move fast enough on it (had a wknd trip planned that I wasn't going to cancel). The dealership that had the Cayman S showed me that all of the recent sales of S2000 in the Southeast through Manheim Auction were selling in the 18-20k range. So I think getting $20k for my car is very reasonable.

I do love my S2000, but I want a Cayman S. Would I be interested in having an M3 for 6 months to a year? Maybe...you only live once, why not try as many cars as you can. I dunno...

Either way its been 1 1/2 days since I heard from the BMW owner. He wanted to meet this morning and I told him weekday mornings weren't good...nothing since.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bunchies
Hmm, sounds like a really good deal for you.

You should get someone who is very familiar with S54s to inspect the engine. I would not be surprised if the owner is trying to dump it because the motor is on its way out.

I would drive the car around for a while before going through with it....have a licensed mechanic there or something with you to check the engine for any odd noise (or tell the dude to bring the car to a mechanic to have the engine checked out with you there, maybe even your car as well so you both know what's up). Seems too good to be true...

But if it does check out OK, I would do it lol; but that's just me