Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Traded in my 07 C230 to MY 13 Mustang GT

Old 12-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Down grade in class, but an upgrade in pretty much all other aspects nice find congrats!

Evan
Old 12-21-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by ElTianti
Watts Linkage is a great upgrade. Before committing $650-1000 on a Watts I'd recommend upgrading the dampers first. Koni yellows are popular and really transform the car. From there you can decide if you would benefit from a Watts.

I ran a Fays2 for a while but it's really a PITA for daily driving. The rod ends require constant maintenance and get very noisy. If I was shopping for a Watts now I'd go with the new Whiteline unit which looks like it's much better suited to daily use.
Thanks for the tip. I'm not ready for the watts yet but definitely looking hard upgrading the dampers and lowering the car.

Originally Posted by JonBoy
ElTianti - thanks! Sounds like it really is as good as the magazines make it out to be.
Great write up, ELTianti and thanks for doing it.

Originally Posted by Trackforged
Down grade in class, but an upgrade in pretty much all other aspects nice find congrats!

Evan
Yes, will put. Can't really compare the ride quality and comfort of the Mercedes but the Mustang have everything else that I want in my daily driver.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Uncoolron
Originally Posted by Slithr' timestamp='1355855880' post='22217765
Congrats. Before you choose between X and H pipes, do some comparison shopping. I've heard, but seen no dyno comparisons, that the H works better on the 5.0 than the X. Might be true, might be someone trying to sell their H pipe, but worth checking out. From a suspension standpoint, I've been very happy with my Bilstein BTS system, but I would look hard at the Roush suspension system. Those guys are having a lot of success on the track, they build a lot of street cars and they are very tight with Ford. Enjoy it.
Thanks, man. Good point on the X or H pipes, the old belief is that X is the way but if you look at the GT 500 or Boss exhaust ( I think) it has H on them. Still looking hard for the right suspesion systems. I will check out the Roush but I'm almost convince about the Ford Racing Handling pack suspension system, it has everything including panhard bar for under 2 grand. Actually 1700 for non adjustble and 1900 for adjustable.
Remember, FWIW, if you go Ford Racing, you are replacing the current suspension with parts designed by the same folks. Before I spent 2Gs, I'd see if I could find an early adopter that could provide actual insight pro or con. That was my reasoning for looking at Roush or Bilstein.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:25 PM

FWIW, Ford Racing doesn't design its own parts (with few exceptions). Suspension parts are private labeled by other companies. Usually Tokico for dampers and Eibach for springs, anti roll bars, etc.

The FRPP suspension kits are OK, but there are definitely better offerings out there. For a street car I really love the Koni Yellow + Steeda Sport spring combination. Worlds better than the FRPP suspension equipped Mustangs I have driven.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
FWIW, Ford Racing doesn't design its own parts (with few exceptions). Suspension parts are private labeled by other companies. Usually Tokico for dampers and Eibach for springs, anti roll bars, etc.

The FRPP suspension kits are OK, but there are definitely better offerings out there. For a street car I really love the Koni Yellow + Steeda Sport spring combination. Worlds better than the FRPP suspension equipped Mustangs I have driven.
I guess Koni Yellows are good in all cars, it's definitely a candidate. Any idea what is the ideal shocks/struts and spring ratings front and back? Also what are alignment parts I needed to set it right? In the MF everybody recommends a minimum of panhard bar when lowered 1" or more.

TIA
Old 12-25-2012, 10:22 PM

I really like the new Mustangs. The rear turn signal is pretty extraordinary haha
Old 12-28-2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Uncoolron
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang' timestamp='1356312300' post='22227098

I guess Koni Yellows are good in all cars, it's definitely a candidate. Any idea what is the ideal shocks/struts and spring ratings front and back? Also what are alignment parts I needed to set it right? In the MF everybody recommends a minimum of panhard bar when lowered 1" or more.

TIA
That is the kind of guessing game you get into when going to different folks for the parts. All good stuff, but not necessarily optimized to work together. That is why I suggested a kit that gives you springs and struts/shocks as a matched set. As far as alignment correction, if you only drop it about 1.5 inches, you probably won't need any additional parts. I put MM caster/camber plates on mine and it is nice to have the additional range of alignment that they give you. Too big a drop and you probably start messing up your roll center, etc. At least that's how it worked on my antique.

I don't know how much the new cars need subframe connectors, but that is also something to consider when looking for handling. Wow, spending other people's money is really easy. Maybe I should go to work for the govt.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Slithr
Originally Posted by Uncoolron' timestamp='1356382712' post='22228242
[quote name='m4a1mustang' timestamp='1356312300' post='22227098']

TIA
That is the kind of guessing game you get into when going to different folks for the parts. All good stuff, but not necessarily optimized to work together. That is why I suggested a kit that gives you springs and struts/shocks as a matched set. As far as alignment correction, if you only drop it about 1.5 inches, you probably won't need any additional parts. I put MM caster/camber plates on mine and it is nice to have the additional range of alignment that they give you. Too big a drop and you probably start messing up your roll center, etc. At least that's how it worked on my antique.

I don't know how much the new cars need subframe connectors, but that is also something to consider when looking for handling. Wow, spending other people's money is really easy. Maybe I should go to work for the govt.
[/quote]

Hahaha, you sure make sense in your advice but that may not work very well with the govt.

Thanks for the input man.