Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

two questions

Old 04-25-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSAK
I was researching the M5 as well and found the extended warranty is pretty spendy. $9k for a 5 year 75k Miles. I have come to the conclusion that it’s best to have some sort of warranty. I still have not had a chance to drive one yet but I am sure it’s very nice. I am just not sure if I can justify $50k for one that will still depreciate like a tank. Both would be great cars to drove no doubt though. Btw the forum I was reading up on was f10m5 post. Good luck!
That's not a bad warranty deal if that's the BMW's own. A friend has a 750xi, I think 2013. He custom ordered with every option imaginable. Basically as expensive as a 7 series can get. Really beautiful inside, but outside looks no different than any other 7 series... At the end of his lease, he bought the car from BMW and did their whole warranty program. This car has been babied like no other. His steer rack broke at 30k miles and that's a 15k hit. He has had another 7-8k in miscellaneous repairs post lease and warranty. Well worth the cost on a costly car to repair with a ton of electronic parts.

The M5 you are looking at is steeply depreciated so figure that 9k as icing on your deal. Now you have a warrantied M5 for 60k; not bad if you ask me.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:01 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Unfortunately not BMW backed, it was fidelity I believe
Old 04-25-2018, 07:18 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

[left]
Originally Posted by sam_spider
I say go E63, but get the wagon and not the sedan and take the badges off. I test drove one a few weeks back and loved the idea of having the ultimate sleeper wagon.

No experience with the M5, but I did have have a 550 for a bit, but all the bmw bs annoyed the sh1t out of me. Having to do everything twice was infuriating, try to open the door and you have to pull the door handle twice, turning the car off, have to press the button twice. Stupid stuff like that. I also didn't care much for the interface on the idrive system. Mine was a '13 btw. My father had an S63 for a while, no issues on it at all, just had issues putting the power down when you stomped on it. The 63's have one hell of an exhaust note.
I agree...no idea why it’s constantly making me hit buttons. Also the paint sucks. Too much orange peel. But, most cars have that issue now.

I have a 2015 m5 with competition package and CC brakes. It’s a lease. I have to return it in a month or two. It’s fine. It was my first ever non manual car. I daily drove an acr, evo and s2000 before...it was worlds better than those three, but those three are terrible DDs.

I looked at rapide, maser somethingorother, merc, but in the end; I’d always loved the m5 so I wanted to get one. It’s gets a lot of compliments from younger (25-35) dudes. So that could be a plus or minus depending on your inclinations. The brakes are ****ing rad and I never want a DD without them.

Its pretty fast. It has no traction, super low first gear and the traction control cuts in too early. I often turn it off for a second while making right turns, from a stop so I can spin the tires a bit and not lose power pulling onto PCH.

Ive has zero issues with it, but it has a $45-$50k engine, so I’d never own it out of warranty. It’s a nice car to drive long distances. It’s very comfy, quiet. It’s a tomb. When you get in the outside sounds are gone and vice versa. I understand why they pump engine noise through the speakers.

Its a good looking car. For 60-70k it’s a great deal. If you live in west LA and want one...let me know. I’m getting rid of mine soon.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:21 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSAK
Unfortunately not BMW backed, it was fidelity I believe
i had a fidelity warranty for my s2000, back when. It dropped its transmission at 50k miles and fidelity paid for everything minus the $100 deductible. That’s my only experience with an extended warranty with any car.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:48 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

ealand, thanks for offer.
how much is lease buy out?
I looked into swap a lease but prices seem higher than buying the car out right. Something to do with BMW depreciation I guess.

.... and yeah, females don't care about nice cars. My car gets looks, thumb ups, and compliments from guys (of all ages). I think only 2 random women ever gave me a "nice car" comment.

Last edited by S2020; 04-25-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:55 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I think MB out does BMW these days, so I'd say Merc.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I think MB out does BMW these days, so I'd say Merc.
I would feel more confident in a used MB over BMW engine as an owner or buyer.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:34 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

AMG has been stepping up their game, and the F10 M5 was the least driver involved M5 that BMW has ever built. Supposedly they've returned to form with their new 2018 M5, but as we're talking about the previous generation I lean towards the Mercedes. AMG usually trumps BMW M in anything except track duty, and since you're buying this for a DD, I doubt you'll take it on the track. So now you're looking at the M5 with a twin turbo V8 with synthetic engine noises, or a screaming NA V8 from Mercedes with God's trumpet for an exhaust sound. No brainer for me.

EDIT: Didn't realize the W213 was the current E63, and thus has a twin turbo V8, not the old 6.2 NA. Still, I've driven a car equipped with that engine and it sounds amazing. So my choice remains the same :-)
Old 04-26-2018, 10:55 AM

I am not big on the MB Biturbo V8 sound. It's too deep & low for me, but a lot of others like it. I could be in the minority.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:49 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
AMG has been stepping up their game, and the F10 M5 was the least driver involved M5 that BMW has ever built. Supposedly they've returned to form with their new 2018 M5, but as we're talking about the previous generation I lean towards the Mercedes. AMG usually trumps BMW M in anything except track duty, and since you're buying this for a DD, I doubt you'll take it on the track. So now you're looking at the M5 with a twin turbo V8 with synthetic engine noises, or a screaming NA V8 from Mercedes with God's trumpet for an exhaust sound. No brainer for me.

EDIT: Didn't realize the W213 was the current E63, and thus has a twin turbo V8, not the old 6.2 NA. Still, I've driven a car equipped with that engine and it sounds amazing. So my choice remains the same :-)
was going to get the Competition Package for more driver involvement. Watched a few youtube reviewers who said the CP brought the fun back to a boring car.

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I would feel more confident in a used MB over BMW engine as an owner or buyer.
Hmm... maybe I should look into the E63. thanks for advices.
Will test drive the M5 this weekend and decide.

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I am not big on the MB Biturbo V8 sound. It's too deep & low for me, but a lot of others like it. I could be in the minority.
the M5 has exhaust generated by speakers so can't really complain about MB.

Quick Reply: two questions