Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Type R future

Old 07-12-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I don't care so much about AWD. Honda did such a great job with the current one, why add a few hundred pounds to an excellent formula?

I could do without the wing, and at least add heated seats as an option for cold climates. Maybe a couple wild colors.

I was actually starting to consider one for a daily, ugly wing and all which is surprising to me at near 50 years old and the quote in C&D that is looks like something that would be driven by "twenty something ass-hats." The looks have grown on me to the point where I'd say screw it and drive one. Then I read they have crept the price up $2,600 since introduction. That is a turn off.

I think one of the biggest draws of the car was it was a screaming bargain and carved its own niche. Fast price creep bring so many other possibilities that it makes the car more iffy to me. Not saying that the car might not be worth $37k plus, but the higher it goes the harder it is to live with the ugly.

I would love it if they used the drivetrain to make another entry level Acura RSX like car with a tasteful exterior. Acura really needs such a car.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree that how this car looks is a problem for me. Otherwise, it seems to be a fantastic vehicle at a decent price. At a minimum they need to offer a rear wing delete option. It would be even better if they could tone down the vents up front.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:57 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Beyond that however, it should be a smaller vehicle. The Civic is freaking huge and the hatchback looks like a CUV.
I remember when Civic hatchbacks were small. Relative to my '11 M3 sedan, the Civic Type R is 1.0" shorter, 2.4" wider, and the same height.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

They should offer a smaller wing for street use, and offer the big wang for track use - optional wings

Get rid of the 20 inch wheels, they serve no purpose, keep them as an optional wheel package for those who need more attention, no Type R should ever have 20 inch wheels IMO.

It should have more power, increase displacement to 2.2 L since they wont increase revs on the 2L, either that or give us an 8k rev limit on the 2 L. Type Rs need more revs, and closer to 400 hp the better.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:04 PM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Did someone mention low profile tires? I think these are 35-series, not much thinner than the 40s on the back of my S2000. Years ago I hit a pothole and broke a 15" rim that probably had 60-series tires (low profile in the 1980s).

-- Chuck
Old 07-12-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Honestly I may be willing to put up with the looks if they make it a proper AWD hot hatch. A modern version of this would suffice:

Old 07-12-2019, 03:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
I hate that I care about this, but this is the #1 reason why I'm not seriously interested in one. I don't even necessarily hate how it looks, but the motley assortment of busy styling bits and huge wing (many of which do nothing) says things that I don't want to say.
Sorry, wing is functional on track. Just saying. I’ve run it without once cause I was waiting for my new one to be fixed (carbon varis with built in gurney/lip).

Also the need for an extended front splitter was obvious after that.

front vents on bumper were also opened up further as now I have an oil cooler in there. Opening for brake ducts underneath between splitter. Like this:

So pretty functional to me!
Old 07-12-2019, 05:03 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I'd prefer to go the other way with a higher red line- say a 2.0 L, 7900 RPM red line. Wring its neck every time I drove it.
Drop some pounds, say 2800 lbs curb wt. Open exhaust.
Love the interior/seats.
Maybe tone down the wings.
I still really like the typeR. I have driven one many many times thanks to some very accommodating friends.

darcy
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 05:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm OK with the FWD, Honda did a good job with it, and it keeps the tradition of the CTR's.

I'd like to see a diet, type R heritage is famous for its lightweight, but this FK8 is actually heavier than the regular road going Civics... this really put me off on getting it.

I think the current power level is fine, probably already pushing the envelope of FWD. And I know appearance can be subjective, but man many old-school Honda fans are already getting into 30's and 40's (I'm one of them), and they can really afford this car new, but the high school racer look is not really gonna appeal to this age group anymore (at least not to me) I just can't imagine myself wearing a suit to work and step out of this FK8 type R...
Old 07-12-2019, 06:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bet the future will change the car significantly from an all gasoline setup to some hybrid drive train.

The looks are polarizing, but not marginal by any means - This S2K group has always been a tough crowd when it comes to the looks of the CTR.

I just hope the car continues to be made, and it should be as Honda has one hell of a hit on their hands and they're having no problem selling them.

Quick Reply: Type R future