Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The UNDERRATED list

Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool The UNDERRATED list

First the OVERRATED list. Now the UNDERRATED.

by the Mechanic: Edmunds Insideline writer

I've been getting a lot of angry e-mails lately from rosy-cheeked sycophants calling me a hater. One guy wrote, "You hate everything, The Mechanic, and I'm tired of it. I hope you die."

Die? Now there's some positive vibe.

But the long trail of e-mail from the mentally disturbed did give me pause. "Maybe I am too negative," I said out loud. "Maybe I really do hate everything. Maybe I should write a positive piece for a change." It sounded like a good idea, but I was talking to myself, and that's never a good sign. So I took my meds. I don't really need them anymore, only when I see the giant bugs in the sky. They live in clouds, you know. And they only come out at night. Just last week one chased me around my neighborhood for four hours. I went to take the trash out and.... Well, long story short, I got away, but then I couldn't sleep so I wrote this. It's about the underappreciated.

The fact is that there are many things in our little world of cars that don't get the recognition they deserve. So I decided to make a list of things I thought were underrated. This is my Underrated List and I'm positive you'll enjoy it.

Jaguar XK
Jaguar sold just 2,779 in 2008. Meanwhile, BMW sold 5,341 6 Series and Mercedes moved 5,464 SLs. The XK is beautiful from the curb and from the driver seat. It's the best car Jaguar has ever made. More people should be buying them.

Domestic quality
This one is tricky for two reasons. First, everyone has their own definition of quality, and second, there are some vehicles I don't think this applies to. But if you're not buying a Ford Flex or a Buick Enclave or a Pontiac G8 or a Cadillac CTS or a Ford Edge, etc. because you think it's going to fall apart and spend most of its days at the dealership service department, you're living in the past. And the Inside Line Long-Term Test blog is packed with real-world data to support this.

Chevy Corvette ZR1
Sure, everyone says it's great. But it's even better than that: it's the world's greatest performance car. No, I'm not kidding. Nail the throttle in a ZR1 and your life changes. It alters your reality. I must have one. And GM should be getting the credit it deserves for building the damn thing.

Mitsubishi Lancer
Forgotten in a sea of Civics, Corollas and Mazda 3s. The Lancer is a hell of a nice car that gets lost in the mix. Maybe now that the new Mazda 3 looks like the Chevy Cobalt drives, more people will give the Lancer a chance.

Wagons
They're always the next big thing, but never seem to be. They should be. Ninety-nine percent of the fools out there driving around in SUVs, crossovers and even minivans should be driving a wagon. And not some fake high-riding wagon like the Benz R-Class, the Ford Flex and that new Toyota Venza thing. I mean a real wagon.

BMW 3 Series
Best all-around car on the market today. A marvel of engineering. If you find it unappealing, you probably live and work in Detroit or have ball bearings for brains. Wait a minute, that's the same thing. Forget it.

Pushrods
See Chevy Corvette ZR1 above. By the way, they're also under the hoods of the Dodge Challenger SRT8 and the Chevy Camaro SS.

All of the wonderful Inside Line/Straightline Readers
Simple pandering.

Hatchbacks
The "Americans don't buy hatchbacks" thing has been around too long. Fact is, they only buy good hatchbacks like the Mini Cooper and the VW Rabbit. Hatchbacks, like wagons, should be in more American driveways.

Chrysler 200C Concept
The most important car at the Detroit auto show. Proves Chrysler isn't dead on the inside.

The Ugliness of the Nissan Murano
Looks like 16 different people designed it. Which would be fine if any of them had any design talent. How do you make a Murano look good? Park it next to a new Maxima.

The Stupidity of iDrive
Amazing, even after all these years of calling it stupid, iDrive remains so stupid, its stupidity makes this list.

The It Factor
The one part of a car that cannot be designed or engineered. It's also the most important part of any car. Without it, you've got the Cadillac XLR.

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
The only SUV that could make me give up on wagons.

Audi TT
An engineering and design marvel. Think about it; it's a VW Rabbit underneath.

Pontiac G8 GT
Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, feature for feature, this is America's best sedan.

Tires
Inarguably the most important part of any car. Think about it, it's the only part of your vehicle that touches the ground. Cheaping out by not replacing them in a timely manner or buying them at Pep Boys because you can get 4 for $50 is just foolish. And for god's sake, check your tire pressure.

Driving a car that makes you feel good
Completely forgotten since gas prices went haywire. Worth remembering.

Ford Flex
Ford's best. Proof Mulally and Co. are capable of getting it 97 percent right.

Honda Accord
Still the benchmark for the class. A real example of Honda's talents. Load one up, however, and the price starts making a Pontiac G8 GT look like the one.

The failure of Cadillac's V-Series
Last year Cadillac sold fewer than 1,000 V-Series cars. Meanwhile BMW moved 1,400 M5s. Yes, just M5s. Maybe the new CTS-V will get the V-Series back on the map, but let's face it: After several years of trying, Cadillac is again starting from scratch. -- The Mechanic, Inside Line Contributor

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/2009...rated-list.html

Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 AM

I disagree with him on the 3 series . I find it unappealing because it looks too sedate sedan looking. Not to mention everywhere u go you will see a dozen of them . German Chevy for the masses Uh no thanks!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish Pontiac would change their front end to something decent looking. The G8 would be awesome if I didn't wince every time I see the front of it. If they'd given us the Holden or Vauxhall styling it would look a lot better.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Pretty good list, for sure.

I do think the new Maxima actually looks pretty good. However, the Murano does not.

Not too sure on the Lancer except the Evolution. It still doesn't have the "quality" feel of the Corolla or Civic that he mentioned.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

+1 for pushrods.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I pretty much agree with 90% of what he said. I can totally agree with the wagon part.

I once told friends if I ever bought a station wagon they should put me in a home. But I love my wagon.

Outside of having Home Depot deliver sheet rock and one lumbwer drop, I finished my entire 1300 plus square foot basement by carrying things home in a wagon. It hauls everything, and it can tow a small boat. I can get one with a 5 speed, and a turbo. Turn 60 in about five and a half seconds, or get 27 mpg on a tank if i take it easy. I have sophisticated AWD for bad weather, a raised view of the road without threatening to roll over in a cloverleaf, and a better ride than most suv's. Why would I want a big gas sucking Jeep or the like when they provide no extra space and the only actual utility is off roading, which I will never do? And my full coverage insurance for six months is $216 becausre the safety ratings are unrivaled and people who drive them don't smash em up.

I will keep that wagon as the grocery getter for 10 years and be very happy. That frees up the car money for toys.

Wagons are sweeeeeeet.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Feb 3 2009, 01:13 PM
I do think the new Maxima actually looks pretty good. However, the Murano does not.
+1

Someone in the next space in my lot at work has a new Maxima. I like it.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:56 AM

I cant believe Jaguar sold so damn little. You want your exclustivity?? You got it!
Old 02-03-2009, 01:45 PM

I've got one...the Honda Accord. I know it's boring to guys like us but it has consistantly been the best family car made for the last 20+ years. That's amazing.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX,Feb 3 2009, 12:00 PM
I disagree with him on the 3 series . I find it unappealing because it looks too sedate sedan looking. Not to mention everywhere u go you will see a dozen of them . German Chevy for the masses Uh no thanks!
I too am with you in that I don't like to drive a car that I see every 6 cars on the road but...

there is a reason there are so many 3 Series on the road. Guess what, its because the car is that good. There is a reason so many people buy them.

Would you find one in my driveway, probably not with the slight exception being the new 335d. That is why I bought the 135i

Quick Reply: The UNDERRATED list