Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Vanity Plates

Old 01-17-2017, 04:28 PM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Yeah, I think we have kind of an odd setup here. They cost $100 on a one-time basis. Once you make your selection, you OWN that custom plate for as long as you want. We replace plates every 7 years because the reflectivity wears off so the state requires it. I am not sure if I will have to pay the $100 again or if they will re-issue my new plates with the same custom plate.

I plan to keep the car for a LONG time so I guess I will find out. Once a car is 20 years old here, you can get "collector" plates on them which are a one time $100 fee as well but you don't have any more annual registration or "tags" fee. If you have an old car it is a pretty good deal because the minimum fee is $45 per year so it pays for itself quickly if you have an old hoopty you want to keep driving. My S2000 was getting close to that before I sold it. I'd like to keep the Cayman for 20 years and then just add to the garage if something strikes my fancy.
Much better deal than we get here. And I wasn't hating on them. We just get charged out the you know what for them and I do willingly break the law, especially on my bikes. Just one less temptation to make me easier to memorize.

BTW, I was in the music industry for many years (about to go back in the Spring), Prince was a genius. He is right up there with James Brown, and Jimi as the GOAT's. Still sad over it. Done sound check before with guys who got to do a show for him in this or that city. Too young. Sheila E's special appearance at Prince's Oakland show remains one of the best and I bang it often on the boob. Mad way to represent on your car. Will never forget when Purple came out. Was just a kid, but wore the tape out. Those artists with the biggest gifts pay the highest price. The genius God blessed them with is a heavy burden to carry and they flirt close to danger their whole lives. Some of the outlets they choose are the only way to get the mind to rest. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Heath Ledger, Prince, so many greats the past few years. Reminds me this is all a temporary trip. Enjoy it to the fullest.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Much better deal than we get here. And I wasn't hating on them. We just get charged out the you know what for them and I do willingly break the law, especially on my bikes. Just one less temptation to make me easier to memorize.

BTW, I was in the music industry for many years (about to go back in the Spring), Prince was a genius. He is right up there with James Brown, and Jimi as the GOAT's. Still sad over it. Done sound check before with guys who got to do a show for him in this or that city. Too young. Sheila E's special appearance at Prince's Oakland show remains one of the best and I bang it often on the boob. Mad way to represent on your car. Will never forget when Purple came out. Was just a kid, but wore the tape out. Those artists with the biggest gifts pay the highest price. The genius God blessed them with is a heavy burden to carry and they flirt close to danger their whole lives. Some of the outlets they choose are the only way to get the mind to rest. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Heath Ledger, Prince, so many greats the past few years. Reminds me this is all a temporary trip. Enjoy it to the fullest.
Same here in Chicago. We have a 'setup fee' and then an annual fee for this every year, worth it for my plates though as I like the humor.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:09 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Agree with what you said. I don't get really broken up by celebs passing away because let's face it, they have it pretty good. For some reason Prince REALLY bothered me because he was so talented, saw him several times and was always in awe and grew up with all of his stuff. But also was a little shaken over Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Phil Hartman, and Greg Giraldo. Just people I always really enjoyed when they performed.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Agree with what you said. I don't get really broken up by celebs passing away because let's face it, they have it pretty good. For some reason Prince REALLY bothered me because he was so talented, saw him several times and was always in awe and grew up with all of his stuff. But also was a little shaken over Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Phil Hartman, and Greg Giraldo. Just people I always really enjoyed when they performed.
I know a lot about music and a lot about Prince as I'm sure you do as well. The f'in guy could sing the lead vocal, backups, the harmony, the chorus, then play the got damn guitar, the keyboards, and the drums whether that be a break or 4 on the floor for sequencing. So all the percussion, guitar, synthesizers, vocals, and could even master the whole f'in thing. He was something else man, extremely rare in this business. Most guys are lucky if they can play a single instrument.

But enough of Mr. Nelson, back to your VANITY6 discussion.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:18 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I know a lot about music and a lot about Prince as I'm sure you do as well. The f'in guy could sing the lead vocal, backups, the harmony, the chorus, then play the got damn guitar, the keyboards, and the drums whether that be a break or 4 on the floor for sequencing. So all the percussion, guitar, synthesizers, vocals, and could even master the whole f'in thing. He was something else man, extremely rare in this business. Most guys are lucky if they can play a single instrument.

George Michael was the same in playing all the instruments on his records.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

They charge annually for them here and I'm totally against my local city, county, state or the feds taking a single extra penny from me. Vanity plates also make it easier to memorize my plate when I go streaking by in the fast lane. Cold day in hell before I buy them.
Same here.... any decorative plate other than the standard issue plate doubles the annual fee. Still only about $60 or so, but it's a matter of principle to me. Then there's another $15 annual fee for an actual vanity plate. So $75/year for the plate. Nah, I'm good with the regular one...
Old 01-18-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
George Michael was the same in playing all the instruments on his records.
Dave Grohl did the same on Foo Fighters
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
Same here.... any decorative plate other than the standard issue plate doubles the annual fee. Still only about $60 or so, but it's a matter of principle to me. Then there's another $15 annual fee for an actual vanity plate. So $75/year for the plate. Nah, I'm good with the regular one...
I got mine as a joke... i'll pay the extra fee for a year or two till it gets old... but the lady at DMV really wasn't pleased that i wanted a plate that said RACECAR... much to our surprise they approved it.. so i'll run it for a while
Old 01-18-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

All true. If you thought he was kind of interesting as a kind of weird person, check out this link. I laughed out loud at several of the stories.

Prince’s Closest Friends Share Their Best Prince Stories | GQ
Old 03-03-2017, 05:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took 4 months to arrive but finally got mine!!!

Quick Reply: Vanity Plates