Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Viper is not the car I thought it was

Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by japhethwar
The verdict is in on the diffy. The spider gears basically exploded, the metal shavings have ruined the ring and pinion as well. Gonna cost the poor guy about 2800$ to fix, as I've got to replace the entire chunk. Dodge has redesigned this particular diffy so it will cost more for the parts to rebuild it than the whole complete unit.
Don't do that. Just buy a quaife diff and be done with it. It won't break again and it's a much better diff then one that was in the 06's.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Originally Posted by fishfryer' timestamp='1334759587' post='21619453
Modern cars with that much torque and power with big sticky tires tend to self destruct a little bit everytime you drive it.

And that is why ALL VIPERS ARE AWESOME.

For all their shortcomings and limitations, the fact that a person will put up with it is a testament to its awesomeness. People with classic musclecars get it, if you don't get it, then there are plenty of other choices like the ghastley Nissan GTR.
Funny how you talk about power with the Viper, then proceed to completely ignore the GTR's performance and pick on it's looks instead. In the same breath you seem to excuse the Viper for it's shoddy build quality. Similarly performing cars - especially at this price level - aren't creaking rattling piles of junk, so there is really no good excuse.
You made my point, you don't get it. I am not trying to insult you, but a big giant beastly archaic car is not for you. The GTR is ghastley because of it approach to performance. Yes the motor is awesome, but the rest is really just too video game like for me and the electronic driver aids are really just for pussies. The viper is an honest, straightforward beast that requires a talented driver, simple as that. The GTR is an appliance that moves quickly and it almost doesn't care who is driving it.

Think of it this way, to drive a viper fast is like being a fine chef, to drive a GTR fast is like picking up take-out from a fancy restaurant. Both are way to shovel good food in your pie hole, but which one is more satisfying? Think of the kitchen clean-up as having to fix your car once in a while, it is worth the effort if you get IT. But, not everyone gets IT.

Like I said, you have many other choices, japan and Germany are always making gimmicky cars that go very fast, for me, if I didn't have a old vette with a big block in it I'd probably own a viper (or a Cobra replicar), but in no way shape or form would I want a GTR, ever.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by rosario717
Id be terrified to buy a dodge product with soo much power.. actually id be scared to buy any dodge lol when you get into that $100k pricerange theres better cars to look at like the gtr which I know is totally different and quite boring to drive compared to a rwd car or even an old school supra for alot less money with some mods will push more power and last 5times longer than the viper ever will.. Dodge n quality dont go together so a viper isnt for me!
Sorry, it will be impossible to take you seriously if you think the GTR is a better looking car THAN () the viper.

Also, there are many examples of 1000HP vipers running around. A guy a few years back used to daily drive his 1800 GEN 2 viper. I think you have seen Tokyo drift one too many times.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by MaxGeek
No doubt the ACR is much better than a ZR1 on the track. The ACR is like a Porsche GT3RS (track car) and the ZR1 is like a Porsche Turbo S (high end sports car).
It was more THAN just that though. He could run the ACR in texas heat all day with the A/C on, on track. The Zr1 would overheat.

Also, the ACR will flat destroy a GT3RS on a track and can be had for ~70k. It does lack in some areas, but durability and performance are not two of them.

I am under no illusion that my car is some kind of pinacle of interior design or refinement, but it's great at what it does.

The new interior is fantastic. It's better THAN any sports car in it's price range, imo.

It's amazing what having some money and good management will do for you. The designers and engineers at chrysler were never bad; they were working with a lot of constraints over the last 10-20 years.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01
Originally Posted by japhethwar' timestamp='1334754208' post='21619135
The verdict is in on the diffy. The spider gears basically exploded, the metal shavings have ruined the ring and pinion as well. Gonna cost the poor guy about 2800$ to fix, as I've got to replace the entire chunk. Dodge has redesigned this particular diffy so it will cost more for the parts to rebuild it than the whole complete unit.
Don't do that. Just buy a quaife diff and be done with it. It won't break again and it's a much better diff then one that was in the 06's.
If this were for a track car i would do that. Its for an old man to run up and down the freeway. In our business its not profitable to sell and install most aftermarket parts. I have to warranty everything i install and weve run into nightmares in the past doing that type of stuff. I have installed mountains of aftermarket parts but only if the customer purchased them and understood that there was no warranty.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 AM

then I went to the grocery and then drank a beer; became drunk so I asked for a bus but then he said no so then I was stuck in time while watching Back To The Future and then eating UTZ cheese balls.

Yea I kind of figured the Viper would be as you stated (OP), even without ever being in one. No real surprise to me, as much as I still wouldn't mind owning one.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice review, and props on proving a stealership wrong.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by japhethwar
Originally Posted by s2kpdx01' timestamp='1334763051' post='21619623
[quote name='japhethwar' timestamp='1334754208' post='21619135']
If this were for a track car i would do that. Its for an old man to run up and down the freeway. In our business its not profitable to sell and install most aftermarket parts. I have to warranty everything i install and weve run into nightmares in the past doing that type of stuff. I have installed mountains of aftermarket parts but only if the customer purchased them and understood that there was no warranty.
[/quote]
fair enough.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So no-one else thinks a judgement based on a sample of one and a review of a car that was brought in for repair is kind of, well, silly?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
So no-one else thinks a judgement based on a sample of one and a review of a car that was brought in for repair is kind of, well, silly?
It is a little odd how the C6 thread is all praise and this one is mostly saying the car is junk. I've spent time in both. The build quality of the interiors are a lot the same. The C6 has more gadgets, but I wouldn't say it's a lot nicer place to spend a lot of time. If you are looking at 08+ a lot of the heat issues, transmission issues etc have been worked out. And Gen 3 vipers can be had for 40k. At $40k it's got 500HP 500ft/lbs, great looks, a convertible options, world class brakes, etc.

The durability of the viper and vette can't really be challenged. They are endurance racing champions and the engines are bullet proof except in rare cases. I drove the car 1800 miles when i picked it up. The tires were old, the suspension was on full stiff, and it was as low as it goes with the splitter on and the trip was still awesome. The car is a freaking bad machine that has some minor weaknesses that are easily fixable minus the interior. I've never like the after market interiors for the vette or viper. It's just something I have to live with for 911 GT2 RS ($240k) performance in a cheaper package. It's a good trade-off, imo.

Quick Reply: Viper is not the car I thought it was