Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Volks GTI

Old 12-06-2009, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volks GTI

I was wondering if anybody knows much about GTI. Looking to get one as daily. How reliable are they and hows the maintenance cost on these. also if anybody knows how much you can pick one up from dealers right now.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was gonna say to do a search, cuz there have been a million threads about the GTI, but then the search function on here is horrendous.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:06 PM

Which gen GTI?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 PM

VW has 3 year maintenance free....so if you're buying new then that would answer most of your questions.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:57 AM

they're good cars, practical, german driving feel (generally great), decent power, pretty much jack of all trades.

Reliability can be spotty, I've had a bunch of issues, since 2001, but it is still running well today. There are things that shouldn't break, but do, but on the whole, not as terrible as some say, but definitely more issues than the standard Toyota/Honda.

Parts cost again is very dependent on what part. There aren't as many aftermarket parts, and OEM will cost more than cheaper Japanese mainstreamers (I don't know how much parts cost for domestics).

Overall, if you want good driving dynamics with room of a hatchback, and decent interior that has materials better than most cars in its class (and able to touch cars costing more than it), they're great.

The 2.0 turbo are great for tuning. a chip and a downpipe+exhaust will open it up big time!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What GEN are you looking at? MKV and MKVI are very reliable from what i could tell (after owning a MKV R32). i didnt have too many issues.

Like others have said, new, they come with 3 years maint. free, so not much to worry about.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:31 PM

The cars can be fun when modded but don't bother trying to make any warranty claims. VW is worst then Mistu with making good on footing the bill for things that break, your fault or not. And it will break, but don't ask me how I know as my acid reflux will start up again thinking about it.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by NFRS2K3,Dec 7 2009, 11:31 PM
The cars can be fun when modded but don't bother trying to make any warranty claims. VW is worst then Mistu with making good on footing the bill for things that break, your fault or not. And it will break, but don't ask me how I know as my acid reflux will start up again thinking about it.
Just find yourself an APR authorized dealer and they will handle warranty work for you. I had my APR chip installed at a dealer here in Chicago and no problems with warranty.

The later models are def better from a reliability perspective. The car was a GREAT daily driver. The DSG was wonderful. The torque was immediate. Great utility. The interior was fantastic. With all that said. I got bored very quickly with it. I missed power, I missed stick shift, and I missed rear wheel drive. I'm in a BMW 135 now and couldn't be happier. Only thing that would make me happier would be to have the s2k and my 135.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:41 AM

I would snap up a GTi in a sec. The new 2 litre FSI turbo is a corker! Decked out with every conceivable option they still run only around $30,000.00. I love VAG products. Do it!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:48 AM

i daily drive an 09 MKV. i love it. i have just over 10k miles on it with no problems at all. i took it to a VW dealer that also does APR work and got a stage 1 upgrade. then i took it too them for the 10k warrenty service. the service has been just fine and i love the car. i have a manual so i haven't had to deal with all the DSG issues. I'm not scared by rumors of unreliability. i'd buy another one if i could.

Quick Reply: Volks GTI