Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Volkswagen R32

Old 10-06-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volkswagen R32

I'm studying now in the US and I need to get a car that i can use here to get to places. I would love to get a S but 2 seater, so whenever I have my parents over, can't take them for a drive.

http://www.vw.com/r32/flash/flash.htm

So i've been taking of the R32. Anyone ever driven one or what do you guys think about this car?
Thx
Old 10-06-2004, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pros:
Looks pretty good
Very Nice interior
Good Torque
Good utility

Cons:
Price Tag (30k for a golf?)
Performance doesn't compare to: 350z, sti, evo, s2000, etc
Doesn't look that much different then a basic golf
Over weight

If you get one definately get blue
Old 10-06-2004, 04:52 PM

Yep, those are basicly the same cons I have and blue is the best colour too .

If I can get one used i'll get it, if not, maybe an STI or if possible S2k
Old 10-06-2004, 04:55 PM

I took one out for a test drive once. It's a decent car. Didn't feel all that fast to me. It was more comfortable then my STi. I think it would be a good choice if you are looking for more civility as opposed to an Evo or STi. If that is what you are in the market for then I say go with it. Just make sure you test drive one a couple times and make sure you are happy with it. Around the same price if you aren't looking at the, STi or Evo, is of course the RX-8. Go out and spend a day going around to dealerships and find out which one makes you happiest. That's key, what you think and feel about your car not what others do.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:08 PM

I also testdrove one fairly recently. Actually, I was deciding between the R32, Sti, RX8, 350Z, and the S2000. I am getting the S2000 tomorrow. I pretty much agree with the other posts:

1. The interior is nice, the buttons are solid, the leather looks and feels nice, the seats hug and grip, and the overall feel is very quality German.

2. The shifter was okay, the torque was okay, the handling was really good, but the car just did not seem like it wanted to get up and go that much. Kinda like a slow version of the linear 350Z acceleration.

3. The car looks buff, but in the end it is a Golf, which is also changing next year.

Also, the dealers in Northern CA wanted to gouge for those things. I walked out on the salesperson when he gave me that "WELLL, it is a LIMITED production car, you can wait, but they will be all gone soon..." All this while he has five on the lot. In the end, I think that 30K is a bit too much for that car. Either drop the price by 2 grand or stick a turbo in it. BTW, there are no hi-density lights for it either.

Steve
Old 10-06-2004, 05:31 PM

Nice broad powerband is there. Interior is great. Fairly spacious.

Handling is decent, but it's still too soft for me and it sways a bit too much. I don't like how the car sways and how the momentum shifts, unsettling the car a bit. Also, braking during highspeed turns felt a bit unstable.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:45 PM

I drove my friends. It was a very torquey engine, I never had that "wait around" feeling for power to come. However, when the power did come I, too, felt like it wasb't all that impressive. This may be due to the fact that I'm used to the punch in horsepower at 6,000 RPM and the R has a more even HP curve, I don't know.

The steering felt disconnected to me, like there were too many electronic gizmos between myself and the actual road. The gear box was ok, nothing to write home about. (again remember what I'm comparing it to.) The interior is very comfortable and it comes with amenities like auto climate control.

I have not seen an R run below 14.5, but magazines claim 14 flat I believe.

It handled fairly well when my friend took me for a ride, but I think the S is better by a fair margin. All in all, the R is not a bad car by any means: it's pretty quick, handles failry well, and has loads of space. The only problem is that it will not out preform other cars in its price class.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:49 PM

I am a big fan of the car...although the gearbox is somewhat notchy, i think it is a very well rounded car..having all wheel drive is a big plus in some climates and makes it a year round car...i enjoy the engine alot and the note is awsome at about 3200 rpm from third gear to fifth..some flap vw put in..although it handles quite well, the car is heavy, and not as fast as comparably priced cars however by a wide margin although mags test it at a respecable 14.3 1/4, the interior and fit and finish are leagues above an evo or an sti....ugly rims too...if i were to get it, i would get the graphite, everyone and their mother has the blue and its becoming wayyyy to common...
Old 10-06-2004, 08:05 PM

gti is more car for the money imo,

gl
justin
Old 10-06-2004, 09:49 PM

i didn't test drove one

but i would consider it if its around $25k-26k and have decent reliability

Quick Reply: Volkswagen R32