Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Volvo to go all electric, in 2019

Old 07-05-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
The Chinese auto industry is finally getting all the pieces needed to be a world competitor, assuming Volvo doesn't sink into the quality swamp that claimed MG and pretty much all Chinese makes today.
Geely is known to be more hands off and support their acquisitions in way that shows off why they bought them in the first place. Not unifying everything into similar mold like VW for instance. I can't wait to see what happens with Lotus now that they are majority owned by Geely. Exciting times ahead.

Tata and Geely could be the new vanguard of the auto industry.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

hey volvo. Reality called. 2019 is only 2 yrs away. i will bet you all my money that this is going to hurt.

darcy
Old 07-05-2017, 09:38 PM

Received 482 Likes on 366 Posts

I think it's a good move. Volvo doesn't sell in the magnitude of honda or Toyota, or even bmw or merc, so it's a smaller risk and a good one at that. Volvo has great designs and safety, so why not out that with some future thinking?
Old 07-05-2017, 10:13 PM

Received 378 Likes on 281 Posts

China and Europe, are their target markets. Some parts of Europe already significantly reduce taxes on Ev's while keeping fossils heavily taxed.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

So, here's some clarifications because many here are confused about what Volvo is doing.

Starting in 2019, all new Volvos will have some sort of electrification. That doesn't mean they'll all be EVs like Teslas. They'll could be hybrids or plug-in hybrids, like their current XC90 Plug-In Hybrid or XC90 Excellence. Volvo plans to have no gasoline-only cars in its lineup by 2023 or 2025. They will most likely still have cars that use gasoline at that point, but they'll have some form of electrification as well. And those gasoline engines will, at most, simply be refinements of current gasoline engines, and not any new family of gasoline engines.

So no, this doesn't mean that Volvo will only sell Tesla style EVs in a couple years.

As far as whether this is just a marketing ploy - well, there are some places over in Europe that say they will only allow electric vehicles eventually.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 09:44 AM

Will be interesting to see how this plays out in New England; especially MA where this is Volvo's largest concentrated market. The Volvo dealer we leased our Volvo from is North America's oldest Volvo dealer. How New England became Volvo (and SAAB) country I am not sure, but it is... You'd think Volvo's were made in New England there are so many.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
So, here's some clarifications because many here are confused about what Volvo is doing.

Starting in 2019, all new Volvos will have some sort of electrification. That doesn't mean they'll all be EVs like Teslas. They'll could be hybrids or plug-in hybrids, like their current XC90 Plug-In Hybrid or XC90 Excellence. Volvo plans to have no gasoline-only cars in its lineup by 2023 or 2025. They will most likely still have cars that use gasoline at that point, but they'll have some form of electrification as well. And those gasoline engines will, at most, simply be refinements of current gasoline engines, and not any new family of gasoline engines.

So no, this doesn't mean that Volvo will only sell Tesla style EVs in a couple years.

As far as whether this is just a marketing ploy - well, there are some places over in Europe that say they will only allow electric vehicles eventually.
Yes this is a good summary - and remember, Volvo only has eight models and the two (flagship models) released last year are already hybrids, so its already 25% there, unless more of its models are already hybrids and I'm unaware.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Meh.... Never liked Volvo.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Yes this is a good summary - and remember, Volvo only has eight models and the two (flagship models) released last year are already hybrids, so its already 25% there, unless more of its models are already hybrids and I'm unaware.
Electric only is not going to fare well in New England and I bet it'll be Hybrid's the rule the roast for next decade. Unless you can get 600 miles per charge, it's a tough sell in regions where you may drive that far between charges. Tesla is still novelty show off car IMO.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Electric only is not going to fare well in New England and I bet it'll be Hybrid's the rule the roast for next decade. Unless you can get 600 miles per charge, it's a tough sell in regions where you may drive that far between charges. Tesla is still novelty show off car IMO.
True, electric vehicles are not a one-to-one replacement for petrol vehicles in all situations... but when France, a much larger market than non-urban New England I suspect, announces that they will ban the sale of gasoline and diesel cars starting in 2040, Volvo is smart for future-proofing themselves like this.

By the way, from Boston Mah to Bangor ME is only 234 miles, and there's a Supercharger 161 miles into that journey. And a Supercharger in Bangor to refuel for the return trip of course. There's actually an astonishing amount of Supercharges in New England. From Boston it looks like you could drive to Syracuse, NYC, or PGH without needing to go more than about 150 miles between charges. (Tesla's Model 3 is supposed to go 215 miles between charges, FWIW.)

And yes, hybrids will be much more prevalent than pure EVs for quite a while.

Quick Reply: Volvo to go all electric, in 2019