Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

VW caught cheating on diesel emissions

Old 09-21-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Default VW caught cheating on diesel emissions

A little surprised no one has posted this yet. I first heard about it last week, but it's finally showing up in the mainsteam press.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/vw-sto...081423265.html
In essence, Volkswagen stands accused of skirting the U.S.'s clean air rules. The EPA said VW used a device programmed to detect when the cars are undergoing official emissions testing. The software device then turns off the emissions controls during normal driving situations, allowing the cars to emit more than the legal limit of pollutants.
VW stock took a 20% dump on this news. I read one article suggesting real-world emissions were 40x allowable limits. They're facing potential EPA fines of up to $18 BILLION in the US alone, and a forced recall to "fix" the issue. Who knows if any of the European countries will go after them now.

Interesting to see what impact this could have on VW Group going forward. We're talking about the company that controls Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Audi, etc. Also, what impact might this have on their pending partnership deal with Red Bull in F1?

My personal thoughts? I can't BELIEVE a major auto MFR would risk doing something like this. It just seems unbelievably irresponsible and stupid.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
A little surprised no one has posted this yet. I first heard about it last week, but it's finally showing up in the mainsteam press.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/vw-sto...081423265.html
In essence, Volkswagen stands accused of skirting the U.S.'s clean air rules. The EPA said VW used a device programmed to detect when the cars are undergoing official emissions testing. The software device then turns off the emissions controls during normal driving situations, allowing the cars to emit more than the legal limit of pollutants.
VW stock took a 20% dump on this news. I read one article suggesting real-world emissions were 40x allowable limits. They're facing potential EPA fines of up to $18 BILLION in the US alone, and a forced recall to "fix" the issue. Who knows if any of the European countries will go after them now.

Interesting to see what impact this could have on VW Group going forward. We're talking about the company that controls Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Audi, etc. Also, what impact might this have on their pending partnership deal with Red Bull in F1?

My personal thoughts? I can't BELIEVE a major auto MFR would risk doing something like this. It just seems unbelievably irresponsible and stupid.
I'm surprised as well, and really curious about impacts to the diesel engines post "fix". Will mileage and power go down? Can they even fix them? Will similar findings come to light in other markets and brands under the family?

Regardless, this is a big blow to the US diesel growth progress which hurts.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:11 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

$18 billion?

Whoa, that is a lot of money.

I have never trusted VW, and I am not sure why - just a gut feeling I suppose. Plus some feedback from some friends that have owned VW cars. Never would have considered owning a VW, surely won't now.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:11 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Yeah I read about this last week as well. Seems almost too unbelievable to be real. I'm curious to see how harsh the US gov't is with them. And let's not forget the lawsuits that will be filed on behalf of the car owners (since the only real "solution" will involve a reduction in engine fuel efficiency and power output.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They a major corporation and this is the US. They will be just fine. There's always a deal to be made behind closed doors.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:27 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rnye
They a major corporation and this is the US. They will be just fine. There's always a deal to be made behind closed doors.
lmao this is exactly what i was thinking.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:34 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

More to the point, is any owner going to want their car "fixed", especially if it means worse mileage? If I had a diesel and bought it for its mileage (not many other good reasons to buy it, otherwise), I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want someone monkeying with it to make it get less efficient...

I think the $18B fine is just the start of the financial impact for VW. What about a class action lawsuit from owners that will, in all probability, see their fuel economy drop? 500K owners that want a refund or compensation for future loss of efficiency is going to add up in a big hurry as well.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:34 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
$18 billion?

Whoa, that is a lot of money.
$18B is just the upper limit for US fines - no word on other countries, plus lawsuits and buybacks from actual customers - you know there will be a big class action from this.

Diesel car sales are halted indefinitely in the US, and who knows what having the stricter emissions on all the time will do to the cars.

Pretty crafty but I agree, short sighted and risky. I think I'll take that Focus RS over the Golf R now...
Old 09-21-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

this is hilarious ... what were they thinking?! "Doh"!!!
Old 09-21-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
More to the point, is any owner going to want their car "fixed", especially if it means worse mileage? If I had a diesel and bought it for its mileage (not many other good reasons to buy it, otherwise), I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want someone monkeying with it to make it get less efficient...

I think the $18B fine is just the start of the financial impact for VW. What about a class action lawsuit from owners that will, in all probability, see their fuel economy drop? 500K owners that want a refund or compensation for future loss of efficiency is going to add up in a big hurry as well.

I'm foreseeing a scenario that, assuming performance and/or mpg's will be compromised after the "fix", consumers may end up with the option of a cash settlement or even a buy-back.

Quick Reply: VW caught cheating on diesel emissions