Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Wanted: Story ideas for "Motorweek"

Old 01-11-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wanted: Story ideas for "Motorweek"

I met with a Producer with the PBS series "Motorweek" today and she said they are looking for story ideas for for the show. She hasn't been with the show for long, but every story idea she pitched has been shot down because it's one they have done at some point.

I know, after 25yrs on the air it's tough to find new and interesting stories. If you have an idea for a story about the automotive lifestyle, automotive safety or an interesring and/or unusual story (no road tests or 'car keys' segment ideas please), you can post them here. I've invited her to check in on this thread regularily to see what story ideas you might have.

Thanks,
Warren
Old 01-11-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a story on the illogical bias japanese car drivers have for american cars. I am surprised you have not already suggested it.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:37 PM

How about "cool" cars that never made it to the US legally (only thru the gray market), and the folks that own them...

Hope it's not a repeat.

Or, American cars in Europe and folks that own/drive them.

I think I'll stop before strike three....
Old 01-11-2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by candyass,Jan 11 2007, 10:04 PM
How about a story on the illogical bias japanese car drivers have for american cars. I am surprised you have not already suggested it.

We could add another segment on people who don't understand technology but make a big fuss anyway. We could start off with pushrods and finish with transverse leaf springs. Get a Vette and you have all the subject mater you'll need
Old 01-11-2007, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have yet to see a review on the Ariel Atom on Motorweek (unless I missed that episode). Perhaps a tour of Brammo would help. Or interview the engineer from California who put an electric motor into the Atom.

Or a segment on Porsche Club of America: club racing, events, drives, etc...

Or current fads on Japanese aftermarket parts (JDM) or VIP styling. Perhaps a visit to Mugen, Type One (Spoon), or ASM shop.

Or cars used as an art medium (just browse through the NY car mag, Interceptor for ideas)

Or cars that use veggie-oil (the system itself, the pain people go through to get free oil from restaurants, home-made distilleries)

Or the S2000's predecessor, the S600. They could always interview Brian Baker and his Formula Motorwerks shop.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:50 AM

How about a story on why British car shows (Top Gear, Fifth Gear) are so much better than American car shows?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about a look into the interior quality and design of American cars? A lot of them just look so disgustingly dreadful. A lot have peices that don't fit correctly @ all. A lot are all gray. A lot use 1 large piece of plastic and that's it. @ least cover it with vinyl to give a sense of luxury. There's just so many things wrong with the interiors of American cars. I liked the new Mustang's interior until I started nitpicking by feeling the materials, fit, and finish.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:15 AM

It's been a long time since I've seen Motorweek so perhaps some of these have been done. One suggestion would be to watch Top Gear and Fifth Gear, not to copy what they are doing but rather to trigger some fresh ideas to the liven up the program.

Anyway, here are a few thoughts:

Unusual cars and their owners.

Car events, like DBR in the S2000 world, There are lots of these all over the country for different makes, like the annual Porsche Parade or BMW CCA Octoberfest.

Get togethers/group drives, like the New Year's day run in Southern California from TRE Motorsports. I believe Jay Leno showed up this year if I recall correctly.

Reviews of the many different driving roads, like the Tail of the Dragon or Route 6 near Wellsboro, PA as a couple of many examples.

The growth and influence of internet forums, pointing people to some general ones like Autopia.

DE's, with coverage of what takes place and what drivers are learning.

Some international segments if the budget allows. A trip to the Nurburgring where anyone can drive the course or get a ride in the Ring Taxi.

How to become better at driving. Demonstrate safe driving and accident avoidance techniques.

Would showing concepts like heel/toe, rev matching, etc. be too specialized for the general audience?

Stronger opinions, good and bad, about the cars being reviewed. Whether you like or agree with Jeremy Clarkson or not, I like that if he thinks something is horrible, he says it. (And I am assuming those are his actual opinions and not just showmanship.)

Reviewing my list, it looks like my pattern revolves around ideas about how people are enjoying their cars rather than looking at their cars as appliances.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:08 AM

How about a segment on how much Motorweek sucks?

More ideas-

- Pat Goss's secret double life as a cross dresser
- A study on how it is scientifically possible for John Davis to have the most monotone voice in the history of man kind.
- The revolving door newsgirl- why so many?
- A piece on the guy who makes the cheesy music they play instead of letting you hear what the car sounds like.
- An interview with Motorweek's Thesaurus department, who work countless hours digging up new superlatives to descirbe the latest Kia.
- Cage death match between Dennis Cage, Barry Meguire and John Davis for ultimate supremacy of the C- rated Automotive television show.

Just a few ideas for them to take and pass off as their own rather than doing their own damn job.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:41 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

I like watching motorweek.... i normally forget it is on. They did a spot about 2 weeks ago about the "off-roading classes" at Summit Point.... which helped me remind myself to take those classes.

as far as stuff that would be neat...... I agree with the above offer of "cars that weren't sold here but are desired" or "cars that have to be imported for "show" 1 at a time (like the 959)"... something like that would be neat.... maybe even the process of how it gets tweaked by the registered importer to make them USA legal.

Maybe some coverage of some of the tuners and how they tune cars so well..... Vinshnu / Church / Dynoflash, etc..... learn what it is exactly that they do and how they figure out how to do it on a new car? (like that new BMW Twin Turbo already has been tuned).

Quick Reply: Wanted: Story ideas for "Motorweek"