Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What defines a "sports car?"

Old 08-09-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What defines a "sports car?"

i sell used cars and some guy walked in the other day saying he wanted a "sports car." i started pointing him to a couple options and quickly realized i had my own opinion of what sports car means. the first things that spring to my mind are rear wheel drive, balanced, performance oriented. but even "performance" has different meanings to different people. a quick google search says "a low-built car designed for performance at high speeds." i think that sort of captures it but it's not the whole story. what do you think makes a car a "sports car?!"
Old 08-09-2016, 01:00 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

To my mind, sports car is light, simple car with a clear purpose & a 'reasonable' amount of power.

Miata, S2000, Fiat Spider, MR-2, Triumph TR-x, etc.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

Any car where performance is a higher priority than any other design/engineering requirements. So, if performance capability and driver enjoyment are tantamount to a vehicle's existence, I would call it some sort of sports car.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:15 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

there are many cars that try to be a "sports car"- think nissan maxima, all modern era BMW's (except the M cars) etc, etc, etc.

What MOST may consider a sports car is a 2 door with fancy rims, louder exhaust, leather seats, and a rear wing that gives the impression. that's its a "fast" car.

But a sports car has a decent power to weight ratio, smaller car, 2 door, likely a manual (really, who are we kidding, it has to be a manual), with no frills or luxuries to take away from the driving.

your customer is looking for a car to get laid with.

darcy
Old 08-09-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
there are many cars that try to be a "sports car"- think nissan maxima, all modern era BMW's (except the M cars) etc, etc, etc.

What MOST may consider a sports car is a 2 door with fancy rims, louder exhaust, leather seats, and a rear wing that gives the impression. that's its a "fast" car.

But a sports car has a decent power to weight ratio, smaller car, 2 door, likely a manual (really, who are we kidding, it has to be a manual), with no frills or luxuries to take away from the driving.

your customer is looking for a car to get laid with.

darcy
the closest thing we had at the time was an FRS. i certainly consider it a sports car but it won't get you laid!

although BMW "M" cars have some characteristics of a sports car i wouldn't consider them to be true sports cars. M3 for example originates from an entry level luxury car and isn't purpose built or designed as such from the ground up.

same thing for something like an evo/STI. based on an entry level car... but i think it's also disqualified because of four doors.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
this rules out all Ferrari's, all Lambos, all GT3s and most other Porsches, most R8s, most Corvettes, etc.
by your definition, a FWD Civic Si is more of a sportscar than any in the list above.

Originally Posted by 2000ths
... the first things that spring to my mind are rear wheel drive, balanced, performance oriented...
this rules out Lambos, 911Turbo, 918, P1, and LaF.

I like Quikag's definition.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

A sports car is a car for sport.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fun.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A sports car is a vehicle that builds confidence. The Toyobarus and Miatas of the world need everything for this to be the case. Tires, suspension, power, brakes, even seats. They are rear drive economy cars. Sporty cars, not sports cars.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:32 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Dammit, no this thread again. What Quickag said, though.

Quick Reply: What defines a "sports car?"