Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What direction is Honda going in?

Old 05-13-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by iatacs19,May 13 2006, 05:30 PM
Fundamentally there is nothing wrong with american cars, even the Pontiac Grand Prix I rented drove fine, there was nothing wrong with the car. It was just that given the choice I would never choose it over say a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. That is why Honda is going to succeed continously until GM or Ford or whoever can make their cars an option when shopping, not by making their cars cheaper with discounts, but by making a car that is a competitor.
I think you are right, and part of that is the details...when I get into a GM/domestic car, there are a lot of little things that just aren't as nice as the Hondas I've owned. My gf has a Liberty Limited that has an MSRP almost identical to that of my TSX (both were $29k-ish), but little things like the cheap sound her car makes when the keys sway against the steering column, or how some of the interior panels have that little ridge from the molding process. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with how the car operates or drives, it just doesn't feel as expensive or nice inside. I think the details are the reasons why you often read reviews where the reviewer says "this car makes a competitive alternative to the Accord or Camry," but rarely do you read "if you need a 4dr family sedan, THIS is the car you should buy" in reference to a domestic. And since we've reached the point where ALL cars are more or less equally reliable (relatively speaking, almost no car is going to leave you stranded), the details start to make the difference, and the details is where I think the domestics lag behind.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this belongs on "tell honda"

but I believe Honda defrosters and dehumid settings to be the WORST in any car I have been in
Old 05-13-2006, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christople,May 13 2006, 09:37 AM
If anything I think Mazda is the one who brings sporty flare from Japan.

Want cheap power then I say go look to Nissan. That's my opinion, but just looking at the fact at what each car company brings to the table now and in the past 10-15 years.

to elaborate further Toyota is all about profit where they do not target driving fun but rather a standard car for the masses that is very reliable...basically a company even more bland than Honda.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sodaking663rd,May 13 2006, 11:52 PM

to elaborate further Toyota is all about profit where they do not target driving fun but rather a standard car for the masses that is very reliable...basically a company even more bland than Honda.

Until rental car companies start buying Toyotas in masses... Blend car for the masses. At least Honda tries to put some driving excitement in their cars.