Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What do you know about the IS300?

Old 12-26-2009, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you know about the IS300?

Any thoughts on the IS300? The nephew doesn't really know how to drive a stick. You guys pretty much have scared me in terms of the automatic tranny Prelude in the thread featured here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=753718

The budget is 10-11k and we've seen a shit ton for sale with 160k+ miles on them. That leads me to believe the car is really designed to go far.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:05 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

I owned both an IS300 and Prelude. If you're going to go automatic transmission, the IS300 is a no brainer. 3.0L inline six and transmission are nearly bulletproof. This car is from the old Toyota where everything was overengineered.

Unfortunately, I traded the '01 IS300 for my Yukon and only got $8k for trade when it had 94k miles on it. Still running perfect, zero mechanical or electrical issues.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Dec 26 2009, 07:05 AM
I owned both an IS300 and Prelude. If you're going to go automatic transmission, the IS300 is a no brainer. 3.0L inline six and transmission are nearly bulletproof. This car is from the old Toyota where everything was overengineered.

Unfortunately, I traded the '01 IS300 for my Yukon and only got $8k for trade when it had 94k miles on it. Still running perfect, zero mechanical or electrical issues.
Damn, thats what I like to hear.

I'm just wondering if it would be comparable to a Lexus of today in terms of cost when it comes time to fix things.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:17 AM

There was a guy on here that drove one daily. It might have been Quikag but I'm thinking somebody else that kept posting about it, very informative. But since the search sucks... I will try to rub my crystal ball and chime in.

Over engineered.
5sp tranny was from a Tacoma
Underpowered and bad gas millage for the power as of any year past 2003.
Hard to find a manual that hasn't been riced out.

If you are looking to mod it, it is the ultimate saloon car from Japan that made it to the states. (till the IS-F, imo) You can stick the Supra motor in it or LS1's. Although you could get an evo/sti and have more fun for cheap...

Anyways back to the IS, it's a tad small and everytime I get close to considering getting one, I could get a 330i for the same money and have a better handling car, easier to find manual tranny, and better highway gas mileage.

Honestly, if you aren't going to "race", "mod", or just want it to be a daily driver, find a Honda Accord V6 instead the 2003-2007 body for about the same money.

Also some other cars to consider instead of the IS300:

AcuraTSX
Lexus ES300/330
Infiniti G35
Accord/Camry V6
Old 12-26-2009, 07:24 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Why not get an IS250 and learn to drive stick on it - probably perfect for that - overall reliable, but generally underpowered, so he should be able to keep the car in line.

Maybe find a base 32x BMW without a lot of bells and whistles?
Old 12-26-2009, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Christople,Dec 26 2009, 08:17 AM
There was a guy on here that drove one daily. It might have been Quikag but I'm thinking somebody else that kept posting about it, very informative. But since the search sucks... I will try to rub my crystal ball and chime in.

Over engineered.
5sp tranny was from a Tacoma
Underpowered and bad gas millage for the power as of any year past 2003.
Hard to find a manual that hasn't been riced out.

If you are looking to mod it, it is the ultimate saloon car from Japan that made it to the states. (till the IS-F, imo) You can stick the Supra motor in it or LS1's. Although you could get an evo/sti and have more fun for cheap...

Anyways back to the IS, it's a tad small and everytime I get close to considering getting one, I could get a 330i for the same money and have a better handling car, easier to find manual tranny, and better highway gas mileage.

Honestly, if you aren't going to "race", "mod", or just want it to be a daily driver, find a Honda Accord V6 instead the 2003-2007 body for about the same money.

Also some other cars to consider instead of the IS300:

AcuraTSX
Lexus ES300/330
Infiniti G35
Accord/Camry V6
Thanks! The gas mileage seems to be the only issue. I'm looking into those other cars for him as well.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Dec 26 2009, 08:24 AM
Why not get an IS250 and learn to drive stick on it - probably perfect for that - overall reliable, but generally underpowered, so he should be able to keep the car in line.

Maybe find a base 32x BMW without a lot of bells and whistles?
It's out of the kids price range. We're not talking about an auto enthusiast here. Just a good kid that stays out of trouble and wants something not embarrassing but reliable.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:56 AM

If you live anywhere with snow, snow tires are a must, and even then, I've heard of people getting stuck.

A co-worker of mine totalled his IS300 just last winter. He claims that he wasn't doing anything stupid, just on the highway at night with snow on ground and he must have attempted to over correct a slide....

Ex-GF's bro-in-law also swears the IS300 is terrible in snow (he had one as well), regardless of tires.

Just something to research on as well.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:33 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

IS300 is a good choice. If you want a good car for under $10k I'd look into a Protege 5 or a Maxima. The P5 is good looking, handles well, has enough power to be fun and is cheap for what you get. Should be able to find one with 60-80k for under $10k.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:56 AM

I work at a Lexus dealership and a friend of mine was recently looking for one. I asked around (people that were around back then, I started in 2007) and everyone here says it's pretty much bulletproof. I work in parts and rarely sell parts for any. So that's a good thing. If you need any parts prices let me know.

Quick Reply: What do you know about the IS300?