Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

what do you people think?

Old 11-09-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you people think?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes...mustang_bullitt

I personally like it. I didn't like the teaser shots I'd seen previously, but seeing it from different angles and reading the article changed my mind. Of course, I'm not in the market for a new car, but this is the only 05+ Mustang I'd seriously consider buying in the used market a few years from now. The only cosmetic thing I'd do if I actually bought one would be to remove the passenger-side mirror to reduce drag. I try to always turn my head as it is, so the loss of the mirror would only encourage good driving habits

But what do you people think of the car? I have my opinion, but then, I also drive a Mustang, so some of the things I can see as the improvemensts they are, rather than "not as good as something else," if you know what I mean.

The article makes good points about the tires being all-seasons instead of the summer tires offered on nearly every other car in this power class. It's a move driven by the intended market - it's much easier to sell Mustangs when people can drive them all year 'round. But I currently have BFG KDWS tires, and at a timesd but informal autocross session this fall at Brainerd International Raceway, I found that once I had learned the track, dropping the hammer just before apex resulted in the perfect amount of rear slip to rotate the car and set me up for the next corner. Grip wasn't an issue because it was predictable and consistent. My course time dropped over 15 seconds from my first run to my best over four runs. Yes, you can light them up with ease on the right surfaces in the right rpm, but you can also learn how to use them. As a journalist hopping from car to car, a Mustang GT on all-seasons would predictably inspire disappointment, but those tires are some of the best all-season tires available - they're not whitewalls.

BTW, the track was a joy in my stock 2003 Mustang GT 5-speed - it was at home. If people say the new one handles better, I'd say it's worth a drive.