Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What kind of mic for recording exhaust sound, etc?

Old 01-02-2010, 07:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What kind of mic for recording exhaust sound, etc?

I just bought a Canon HF200 HD flash memory camcorder to record my 3-year-old, finally replacing my 14-year-old 8mm camcorder. A secondary use will be for making decent exhaust and in-motion videos on my CTS-V (for the dragstrip) and S2000 (exhaust comparo between stock and the Tanabe Touring I'm finally going to install in the spring; also to document my planned trip to Honda Homecoming in September in the S).

I figure a good directional external mic with wind sock would be fine for external exhaust videos with the car not moving. I'm looking at THIS ONE--click specifically for this camera.

With the camera mounted on the car and the car in motion, pointing at the exhaust, is another solution appropriate? Would the external mic with a thicker wind sock (one of those that looks like a dead cat) be useful in this situation? Again, a shotgun or directional mic as well rather than omnidirectional?

Last, what kind of in-cabin microphone when recording external video? (Example: If I'm recording video from a side-mounted camera and want to get good engine sound.)

Any advice appreciated!

PS: Planning on ordering Modifry windshield (e.g. front window) and double suction cup mounts (for out of car shots).