Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What pickup truck?

Old 06-15-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Ridgeline isn't a truck....
I think its classed as a truck - class 1- under the FWHA's classification system. Just to be pedantic.

Its just a tool, and not everyone needs a sledge hammer. In Canada, we can only get the AWD version, but I'd even consider the FWD version you Americans get...if it was available with a manual.
darcy
Old 06-15-2019, 09:46 PM

Received 557 Likes on 389 Posts

If no towing other than jet skis or a trailer of similar weight, then Tacoma or Ridgeline all day. Lived with a full size pickup for 17 years, didn't need it and don't miss it. Drove a tacoma - preferred it over my full size Sierra.

The only reason to get a full size / diesel is if you're going to be towing heavier payloads.

Tacoma can tow about 6000 lbs. That's good enough to tow a 1500 lbs. trailer and a miata or s2000 to the track. Definitely not ideal, but doable. If that was your main intended use, then I would say go full size, otherwise, if your towing payloads are smaller than that, stick with a Taco or Ridgeline. They're also more livable for daily use.

Last edited by Bullwings; 06-15-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:24 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I bought a Ridgeline in April after looking at lots of different trucks. Replaced my MDX. I’m in Canada so it is AWD, and I opted for the Touring edition. Very happy with the Ridgeline. It does everything I need well and is comfortable, quiet, and gets good mileage (averaging 9.8L/100km). I only tow occasionally. Cheers, Mike
Old 06-16-2019, 11:10 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by erik
Normally not a big fan of these threads, but I'm venturing into a place I've never gone before. I think I'm going to look at picking up a pickup as my next vehicle. Needs to be a crew cab, but from there, where do I go? It will be used and want to stay in the $25k area or below. It's going to haul a lot of different type of sports equipment, maybe haul a trailer from time to time but it's certainly not a work truck and a SUV would be fine, but not a big SUV fan and thinking just to go down the truck route.

What are thoughts of a Ram 1500 V8 vs the GMC Sierra/Ford F150 types? These would have to be a little older with more miles to stay around my budget vs say a GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado types vs even the Honda.

Never having bought a truck but over 25 cars in my life, what should I potentially be considering?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
If you're already convinced you need a crew cab (and a shorter bed?), I'd just go the SUV route and pick up a new/used Durango. The Mercedes influence in them is nice and there is a lot of options for $25k from new to used upscale versions.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:43 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I bought a 2014 f150 ecoboost fx4 3 ish years ago and love it. It was more than your than your price point but you could probably get one with fewer options in that price. Great truck and soooo much space in the 4 door version.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love how Ridgeline's can't be mentioned without the "it's not a real truck" folks making an appearance!

They're all the truck that probably 80-90% of truck buyers need.

My sis picked up a 1st gen a couple years ago (at my suggestion), and it's perfect for her needs. Do I make fun of it? Of course, but I secretly like it way more than I expected, even though I nicknamed it the "Ugly Truckling".

The ride and drive are good, it's got lots of functional features (the "trunk" (that can double as a cooler) being the best), has more backseat legroom than some of the pickups she tested, is more reliable than many pickups, and was cheap on the used market.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:26 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
I love how Ridgeline's can't be mentioned without the "it's not a real truck" folks making an appearance!

They're all the truck that probably 80-90% of truck buyers need.

My sis picked up a 1st gen a couple years ago (at my suggestion), and it's perfect for her needs. Do I make fun of it? Of course, but I secretly like it way more than I expected, even though I nicknamed it the "Ugly Truckling".

The ride and drive are good, it's got lots of functional features (the "trunk" (that can double as a cooler) being the best), has more backseat legroom than some of the pickups she tested, is more reliable than many pickups, and was cheap on the used market.
Cause it's not. It's an MDX/Pilot with a bed. It would like me calling those SUV real off road 4x4s. Sure they can do it, but they're not those vehicles.

I get the appeal of the Ridgeline from a practical sense. If you don't really need a bed and don't really need to tow anything. At which point you don't need a Ridgeline. Get an SUV.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:19 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

The interior is not great, but I vote Colorado. Been kind of eyeing a used one myself.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Love all the feedback, I appreciate it. Definitely do not need a full size, but "I like them". Have thought about the Expeditions and Durangos of the world as well.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:36 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by erik
Love all the feedback, I appreciate it. Definitely do not need a full size, but "I like them". Have thought about the Expeditions and Durangos of the world as well.
Go buy a 5 year old Yukon Denali or Tahoe (short, not XL) and win. Best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: What pickup truck?