Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What pickup truck?

Old 06-17-2019, 07:41 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Ridgeline is perfect for the OP. He flat out says he does not need to do any heavy hauling and just needs a crew cab with a bed. Why put him into a bigger, heavier truck that he doesn't need only to endure worse handling and mileage? Seriously go drive a Ridgeline. It sounds like it is all the truck you will need, maybe more.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:16 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Back when we bought our 4Runner I had my wife look at a Tahoe. She hated it. She liked the looks of them, but in her words it was like driving a full sized truck without having a truck :P The 4Runner was much smaller and was more comfortable for her to drive. But some like the larger vehicle and will like the Tahoe better. The Toyota still tends to be more reliable, but the Tahoes seem to do very well (I have always liked the Tahoe overall as an SUV).

But coming from experience, an SUV still SUCKS when you need a truck. Sure, you can haul stuff in it, but hauling a pile of brush either requires lining the back with tarps and being careful or renting a small trailer. If you really want something to do that kind of stuff for yard work, like hauling off stuff or picking up loads of mulch, dirt, etc, OR moving items that are large, then you for sure want something with a bed. We do a lot truck things with our truck, so for us it was a no brainer to buy one.

Now, if you want to drive to MN and buy a cheap 1994 Chevy K1500 4X4 that needs a pile of work, I can hook you up :P Bought it as a beater truck that I would make into a project later, and it has pretty much just gathered dust since buying the Tacoma lol.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:57 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I am looking forward to the new Tesla truck. But that might be categorized as not a real truck too.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:36 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

I would hold out for a Rivian if I was thinking electric.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:48 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

The big thing that pushed me to a full size truck over one of the smaller ones was they generally cost the same amount as a full size truck but have less space inside and in the bed. I have always loved Tacoma's but they are insanely expensive especially for what you get. Since my F150 is our only 4 door car I wanted something that could fit 4 adults comfortably. The smaller trucks like Tacoma's, Colorado's etc the back seat is fairly small. Add on top of that the interior is all leather with heated and cooled front seats, nice stereo etc. Granted it was $34k used but I could have easily spent that on a Tacoma with cloth seats. I still love Tacoma's and the other smaller trucks (new Ranger is a nice looking truck as well) but given they cost nearly the same as a full size counterpart I think I'll be sticking to a full size truck but it all depends on your preference and what is most important to you.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:02 PM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
The big thing that pushed me to a full size truck over one of the smaller ones was they generally cost the same amount as a full size truck but have less space inside and in the bed. I have always loved Tacoma's but they are insanely expensive especially for what you get. Since my F150 is our only 4 door car I wanted something that could fit 4 adults comfortably. The smaller trucks like Tacoma's, Colorado's etc the back seat is fairly small. Add on top of that the interior is all leather with heated and cooled front seats, nice stereo etc. Granted it was $34k used but I could have easily spent that on a Tacoma with cloth seats. I still love Tacoma's and the other smaller trucks (new Ranger is a nice looking truck as well) but given they cost nearly the same as a full size counterpart I think I'll be sticking to a full size truck but it all depends on your preference and what is most important to you.
Agreed with Manga. The problem with the mid size trucks is they cost about the same and are not really that much more fuel efficient. So really the only advantage is they’re easier to park. The back seat is pretty small in a mid size truck as well.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:30 PM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Originally Posted by ssbfgc
Agreed with Manga. The problem with the mid size trucks is they cost about the same and are not really that much more fuel efficient. So really the only advantage is they’re easier to park. The back seat is pretty small in a mid size truck as well.
Tacomas drive better, have better off road capabilities, better reliability, lower overall cost of ownership, and MASSIVELY better resale value compared to F150s, Silverados/Sierras, Rams, Colorados/Canyons.

The main area they lose is interior space (because they're smaller...) and towing capacity.

Regarding cost... a fully optioned out F150 Raptor will run you up to $75k brand new. A fully optioned out Taco TRD Pro is around $50k.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:52 PM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Tacomas drive better, have better off road capabilities, better reliability, lower overall cost of ownership, and MASSIVELY better resale value compared to F150s, Silverados/Sierras, Rams, Colorados/Canyons.

The main area they lose is interior space (because they're smaller...) and towing capacity.

Regarding cost... a fully optioned out F150 Raptor will run you up to $75k brand new. A fully optioned out Taco TRD Pro is around $50k.
I’ve never ridden in a Tacoma that rides better than my neighbor’s F-150 Platinum.
Resale is pretty good for an F-150. Not as good as a Taco, but by no means a massive difference as you say.
No truck really performs that well off road. Get a Wrangler if you spend a lot of time off road.
Comparing a fully optioned Raptor to a Taco is just plain laughable. The Raptor is infinitely better, and MASSIVELY (as you say) more bad ass. You can literally get any full size pickup brand new for under $50k that will be optioned nicer than any fully loaded Taco.

You must own a Taco...
The following users liked this post:
jetrep (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 03:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like I stirred up some trouble!! A lot of good suggestions that I now have to weigh, think through. Keep it rolling. Will probably look at some of the big SUVs. Other thing to consider is I'll definitely have more than a few 4 to 5 hour just one way trips to haul gear and the family.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:12 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

ball out.

Quick Reply: What pickup truck?