Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What's wrong with the GT-R?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its sooo damn ugly
Old 11-07-2007, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be the fanbase that turns a lot of people off, but it will be interesting to see if nissan can sell a car for 70k. The corvette isn't a good example, IMO. Chevy sells some 30k of those a year and has for 60+ years. The GTR is somewhat new compared to that , especially in the US market. A lot of people spending 65k+ are brand snobs and that is just the fact. The vette is a good brand for a lot of people. There is a core group that will buy nothing but a vette.

I don't see the GTR being like that at all in the US...at least not yet. The evo has a lame fanbase too, but it's still a good car and I bought one. I don't have spikey bleached blonde hair and I'm not mowing lawns. I think all these boosted hopped up japanese cars have a brand image problem, period in the US whether it's the STI, Evo, or GTR. I'm not conviced is the fanbois that drive away the hordes. I think it's the brand snobbery of the 70k+ car buyer. We are not good judges as many of us already decided brand wasn't important and bought bang/buck cars. I see a lot more 3 series then evo, sti's, wrxes, s2000, etc. So I'm pretty sure performance isn't the number 1 concern for most people.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:34 AM

I thought the pricing speculation that I've seen has been around $85K. It does look to be a hell of a car, though. But, it's really not pretty at all. I also doubt the styling will age very well. To me, it really just comes down to personal preference. If you like it and it suits your needs, buy it. If I were looking to spend that kind of dough on a play car, AWD and back seats might not be too important to me, and I think I'd probably prefer 3 pedals to 2. 0-60 in 3.5 seconds or Ring times probably wouldn't be too important to me, either (the car offers WAY more than I could exploit on the streets). That being said, I would consider the Vette on the lower end of the scale and a 911 S on the higher end of the scale. The $40K savings with the Vette (assuming $85K for the GT-R and $45K for the Vette) is substantial, so that may make the Vette more attractive. But, if I really wanted to shell out all that cash, I'd probably go for the 911 S over the GT-R based upon styling, heritage, etc. Obviously, the 911 is a classic sports car icon, and, to me, the 997 version is the best-looking 911 yet. I would, of course, have to drive them all before deciding.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Former Moderator

It's so damn ugly.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Nov 7 2007, 10:50 AM
Problem is, the majority of the biggest fans of this car are either 14 year olds mowing lawns to buy the latest copy of GT4 for PS2, or 17y/o kids delivering pizzas so they can afford more AEM stickers for their '92 Civic.

The kinds of people who can afford a $70k Nissan are the kinds of people who would be put off by the car's fanbase.
I disagree. Maybe 5, 7, 10 years ago but not now. A lot of these punk kids that you talk about are now in their late 20's and early 30's who make decent money and could afford one. I almost ordered a G35 coupe a few years ago and the sales manager said he already had people wanting to put down 10k, or 20k (deposit) on the GTR because they wanted to get their hands on it as soon as possible. And that was in 2005. I'd call anyone paying 50k or more for the same performance and arguably less reliability a fool.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:13 AM

It feels like I'm in the minority around here, but oh well, I really don't care about the opinions of others...

If I was looking for this type of car, and had the money, I WOULD buy the GT-R over an M3 or 911, just because it IS a Nissan.

I would never own a Porsche because I think the whole 911 body style is old and dated, good grief man, it looks just like a 1962 901. What, Porsche can't come up with a new idea in 45 years? I would take it over a BMW even though I'm a BMW CCA member and have been for 15 some yearsbecause I just think the Japanese cars have a better performance to dollar ratio than the German cars.

I have been around Nissan's for a good portion of my life, in general terms I think Toyota should be awarded being able to crank out more f'ing ugly designs than any other company; I hate everything from them. Honda in my opinion seems to have lost their way, they have forgotten that selling a million Accords is not the only part of their business plan, the other part which seems to be missing is some risk taking. Shitt or get off the pot, get a new NSX into the market, or really update the S2000, not like that joke of CR model update, how about a real revolutionary change, no, instead they will kill it off. No risk, no glory...

Carlos Ghosn knows all about no risk, no glory, he saved Nissan from an ugly death, Renault's money saved the day. And if you just look at one concept the Alpha-T concept you can see risk management. Launching a real full-size truck into the fold of the big American 3, getting into a market where even Toyota was afraid to play, that was a huge risk. And let me just say, as a very happy and proud owner of a 2005 Titan, I could not have picked a better full-size pickup. I think Nissan finds themselves in a unique and solid situation, they have vision, they understand risk, they are not afraid of new ideas, and now with the GT-R they are saying, we are more than happy to play with the big dogs, move over you guys, there is a new monster on the block.

Alpha-T Concept

BTW- I consider myself a huge GT-R fan, and look at my sig, see my Vintage Badge, I'm not some silly 20 something as some of you claim is their only fan base...

Old 11-07-2007, 11:27 AM

Nissan had extremely high expectations to meet. They basically had to do the undoable and do it at a reasonable cost. They had to beat the performance of the R34 with a plat form they could sell world wide. The facts are already out there. The base model car is excruciatingly fast. Carbon fiber chassis v12 benz engine 500k$ Zonda fast. The highest model has a decent probability of being the fastest standard production car to ever lap the ring surpassing cars with 100's of years of racing prestige and 1m+ price tags.

So the looks are questionable. I guess if someone offers you a 50,000 sq ft house for 10 grand you'll turn it down because you don't like the gardening? Let's sit back and have a reality check here. You already have one of the fastest cars in the world, for 70k, and it's going to be relatively cheap to maintain and you can get it serviced at your local Nissan dealer. Who gives a $hit if it isn't the prettiest car in the world at this point.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:39 AM

if the car cost more, like over 110k, i dont think we'd be so skeptical. funny how that works. you're marketed to think that you get what you pay for. the z06 is an amazing car, but "it's not a ferrari." the GTR seems to be the real deal. just be glad you live in a time when 75k can buy you a spot near the ceiling.

btw, what race is carlos ghosn?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd agree with Triple-H
Old 11-07-2007, 11:53 AM

It's pretty darn ugly

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the GT-R?