S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   What separates sports cars and GTs? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/what-separates-sports-cars-gts-283889/)

b0mbrman 04-15-2005 11:42 AM

What separates sports cars and GTs?

I'm sure the argument over what makes a sports car has already been had on this board many times. But it's never been made clear how it compares to the definition of GT.

So what do you guys think?

WhiteS2k 04-15-2005 11:48 AM

GT = Grand Touring, with emphasis on "Grand" and "Touring". Enough said. :drive:

Diatomic 04-15-2005 01:07 PM

I've heard the GT discussion before, and it really is a little confusing and irritating.

GT was never intended to imply fast sports car, it's name originated from Europe, when men would come to age, and take the "Grand Tour" of the world (read, of Europe). With out getting into too much detail, it basically has nothing to do with sports.

What I think really crossed the whole issue is the fact that people who did the whole "Grand Tour" thing, were usually only the wealthy, and of course they would take their tours in fantastical cars like a Ferrari, Lambo, etc. Those cars, are ofcourse also fast. So before long, the term GT, which originally ment big luxo car obtained an implication of speed, and it didn't take the marketing folks of the world to brand any really nice fast car a GT car.

It's sad however to see racing orginizations adopt the name, for example JGTC, the Japan Grand Touring Championship. None of the cars they run in that race would you ever want to take a long road trip in.

But I think it's mostly just a marketing thing. GT just sounds cool, and most people don't really know or care about the distinction, all they know is that if something is "GT" it's the top-end version of something or other, and they'll pay more attention to it.

But it's a bit of a mix bag. Some times it's used properly, and some times it's not.

But to answer your original question, of simply what the difference between the two means to me. I think the GT definition for cars means, this is the model in which no expense has been spared and you have every possible feature in this vehicle. More luxo amenities, more powerful engine, bigger wheels, etc. i.e. Mustang GT, got everything the regular Mustang has, and just thows in more, all pros, with no cons, except for price ofcourse.

A sports car definition however, I belive, means the car has been designed with a singular purpose in mind, be it track, auto-x, or drag. Anything which does not support that singular goal has been eliminated, AC, leather seats, sun roof, etc. And a bunch of stuff has been added on, better suspension, bigger brakes, etc. i.e. Integra Type-R, Lancer Evo RS. The price however is up in the air, sometimes the sport version will cost you more, ie the ITR, and sometime the sport version will cost you less, ie the Evo RS.

Euclid 04-15-2005 01:32 PM

Sports car = topless 2 seater

GT = fixed top

ttb 04-15-2005 02:03 PM

no way are integras and evos and wrxs sports cars.

iatacs19 04-15-2005 02:10 PM

what about GT-R ?

Diatomic 04-15-2005 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ttb,Apr 15 2005, 02:03 PM
no way are integras and evos and wrxs sports cars.

Would you care to actually elaborate on that statement?

S2020 04-15-2005 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Euclid,Apr 15 2005, 01:32 PM
Sports car = topless 2 seater

GT = fixed top

Enzo, F40, F50, 959, and McLaren are GTs?

FO2K 04-15-2005 03:18 PM

Sports Cars = Usually 2 seater, usually topless, focus on handling, spirited driving. May lack amenities for weight reduction and cost reduction.

GT = Usually 4 or 5 seater, handles well, but normally not as well as a sports car. Focus is to get from A to B in a hurry, in comfort.

hpark 04-15-2005 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by FO2K,Apr 15 2005, 03:18 PM
Sports Cars = Usually 2 seater, usually topless, focus on handling, spirited driving. May lack amenities for weight reduction and cost reduction.

GT = Usually 4 or 5 seater, handles well, but normally not as well as a sports car. Focus is to get from A to B in a hurry, in comfort.

well the classic def of sports car is 2 seater, RWD, light, good handling....has nothing to do with power or going fast. I guess the closest modern interpretations are miata, solstice/Sky, (discontinued) MR2, elise, S2000.

GT = 2+2 seating and able to cruise at high speeds easily.....e.g. porsche carrera.