S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Car and Bike Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/)
-   -   What separates sports cars and GTs? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/car-bike-talk-73/what-separates-sports-cars-gts-283889/)

hpark 04-15-2005 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ttb,Apr 15 2005, 02:03 PM
no way are integras and evos and wrxs sports cars.

integras = sports coupe
evos and wrxs = rally cars / sports sedans
GT-R = GT

b0mbrman 04-15-2005 03:37 PM

So what is a 350Z?

derryck 04-15-2005 03:40 PM

To what has been already said about the sports car category that they aren't always the fastest car either. The S2000 is a perfect example of a sports car...nimble quick and very narrow of focus. The E46 M3 on the other is a perfect example of a GT car. The M3 will dust the S2000 in a straight line but certainly isn't as nimble. The M3 has about every ammenity you could possibly want from a 'bells and whistles' standpoint (ie. Heated/power seats, Nav, Bluetooth, etc.) where as the S2000 is pretty bare bones. The M3 has a much broader focus...it does everything quite well from a performance standpoint but it does none of them extraordinarilly well. The S2000 is probably more fun to drive than just about anything on the road...especially when turbocharged.

Sammyzuko 04-15-2005 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by b0mbrman,Apr 15 2005, 04:37 PM
So what is a 350Z?

a PO-S

j/k :D

Having a top/not having a top has nothing to do with being a "sports car". If anything, being a vert usually adds weight and decreases the stiffness of a chassis.

Warren J. Dew 04-15-2005 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Diatomic,Apr 15 2005, 01:07 PM
A sports car definition however, I belive, means the car has been designed with a singular purpose in mind, be it track, auto-x, or drag. Anything which does not support that singular goal has been eliminated, AC, leather seats, sun roof, etc.

I think that's the definition of a race car (or a rally car, or whatever).

A sports car is supposed to be nimble and flexible, so that you can enjoy driving it around in a variety of circumstances. That means it doesn't go all out on size and amenities, but it also means it isn't lacking them to the extent that the driving experience is worse. If the car were really designed with a singular performance in mind, it wouldn't have the passenger seat.

For flexibility, I think a sports car does need at least adequate power, but it typically doesn't give everything else up for performance. Of current production cars, the Miata is probably the epitome of "sports car".

Grand touring cars needed to be faster to cover longer distances, but they didn't need to be small since they weren't designed to stay around town. In my opinion, the extra amenity that most characterizes a GT is extra space, often in the form of back seats.

b0mbrman 04-15-2005 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Apr 15 2005, 11:48 AM
GT = Grand Touring, with emphasis on "Grand" and "Touring". Enough said. :drive:

Heh heh. I know what it stands for. That's not what I was asking :)

S2000boi 04-15-2005 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by hpark,Apr 15 2005, 03:26 PM
integras = sports coupe
evos and wrxs = rally cars / sports sedans
GT-R = GT

not even close

integras= sporty coupe... "sporty"

wrx/sti=rally car.... "dirt and course racing with tough terrain"

gt-r=gt

WhiteS2k 04-15-2005 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by b0mbrman,Apr 15 2005, 03:57 PM
Heh heh. I know what it stands for. That's not what I was asking :)

I thought you were asking for the difference between a sports car and a GT; and I gave you an answer: Sports car the emphasis is on "sport" (i.e., power, handling, fun, and all the other attributes that go with "sport") while GT the emphasis is on "Grand" and "Touring" (i.e., comfort, luxury, smooth ride, and all the attributes that go with "Grand" and "Touring"). I guess I interpreted your question wrong. So exactly what are you asking for? :confused:

Caffeinated21 04-15-2005 04:50 PM

That may be your definaition, but it has very little to do with what it means to the vast majority of Auto enthusiasists, etc GT is a car with a sporting pedagree but with a less harsh ride, more space, and more luxury...what you describe sounds more like a lexus LS than a GT.

b0mbrman 04-15-2005 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Apr 15 2005, 04:28 PM
I thought you were asking for the difference between a sports car and a GT; and I gave you an answer: Sports car the emphasis is on "sport" (i.e., power, handling, fun, and all the other attributes that go with "sport") while GT the emphasis is on "Grand" and "Touring" (i.e., comfort, luxury, smooth ride, and all the attributes that go with "Grand" and "Touring"). I guess I interpreted your question wrong. So exactly what are you asking for? :confused:

I really don't know :(