Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What would you buy for under $40k?

Old 11-26-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What would you buy for under $40k?

After much thought and consideration I'm planning on replacing the s2000 next spring. While I still love the car and always will, I find myself wanting something with a bit more room and other comforts that it just can't offer. The s2000 is currently paid off and I will be using the sale of it to fund a downpayment on whatever I buy next. My promotion at work is about to go through and I've set myself a max budget of $40k, hoping to keep it under $35k if possible. I don't have to spend even 35, but looking at what I can do as a downpayment and what I'm willing to have as a monthly payment that's the most I'm willing to spend.

Things I want out of the car:

- Fun to drive: it will be my only car and I hate driving boring cars. It will serve as a daily driver (though by mid summer I will be biking to work most days when we move offices) and my "fun" car. I enjoy taking drives on country back roads and hope to make it out to VIR a couple of times over the next few years for fun
- Fixed roof: I've had my convertible and I'm wanting a solid roof over my head now. Mostly for road noise.
- More room: the s2000 has been my daily for over 3 years and does the job fine most of the time but sometimes can't fit big objects I need it to. This wasn't an issue before as I had my fiancee's car for cargo duty but I'm a single man now.
- Back seat: I'd like to be able to drive to things with my friends or coworkers in tow every once and a while. I've been bumming rides for over 3 years and feel slightly guilty about it. I also like driving vs riding in a car.
- Refinement: The s2000 is very raw and I'm wanting somethng with a bit more comfort in it nowadays (I guess I'm getting old).

I've been looking around and so far developed this list.

2008-2010 BMW M3 Sedan
- Fits all my criteria
- Hits the upper part of my price range
- I'm nervous about used BMW's
- Wouldn't mind driving one pretty close to stock

2010-2014 Subaru WRX STi Wagon
- Fits all my criteria, but maybe not as "refined"
- Could potentially buy a brand new one
- Would want to mod a decent amount (at least a good drop)

2007-2009 Porsche Cayman S
- Certainly fun to drive, a solid "upgrade" from the S
- No additional room, maybe less room
- Top of my price range
- Used German cars!

2015 Audi S3
- Fits all the criteria
- Top of my price range (rumor is $38-40k)
- Not out yet, so details are scarce and I can't drive one.

2009-2014 Nissan 370z
- Fun to drive, always liked them
- No additional room
- Could buy a brand new one

2013-2014 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
- Similar to the Z, but slightly cheaper and with a backseat
- Would want to mod a decent amount (at least a good drop and wheels)

2013-2014 Subaru BRZ
- Fun to drive, has a little more room
- backseat is pretty small
- Low on power, doesn't feel like much of an upgrade from the S

2014 Honda Civic Si Sedan
- I owned a 2009 model and enjoyed it, the styling on the new ones is growing on me. I like the interior a lot
- tons of room
- decently low in my price range
- Low on power, FWD

Cars I've ruled out: Corvette, Mustang, Camero, Challenger. I can appreciate these cars and what they offer but they just don't feel like me. That doesn't mean I hate them, so let's just move on from them.

Am I missing some cars that I should add to the list? Or anything I really should know about anything on the list? I plan on taking the next months researching and test driving my options. I've already driven the M3 and I love it, my only concern is maintenance on it, I've heard the earlier models can have some engine issues but they seem fairly isolated. I'm not in a rush so I'll make sure to drive my other options and any other suggestions that peak my interest before I make a decision either way.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you thought about a Cadillac CTS-V? 4 doors, plenty of space, refined, plenty of power, and a blast to drive.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:30 AM

370z sport package or genesis coupe 2.0t r-spec + full tune & your listed mods. The z wasn't even on my radar till they introduced their 3k price drop across all of them but the nismo (bummer... as that would be perfect).
Old 11-26-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sduf88
Have you thought about a Cadillac CTS-V? 4 doors, plenty of space, refined, plenty of power, and a blast to drive.
Not sure if they'll give you that AARP membership on a used CTS-V. Although the walking cane might still be there.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

2007-08 Jaguar XKR
Old 11-26-2013, 11:58 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

You can find a nice 335i either e90 or F30 rwd with a 6 speed for that money easy. It is not an M3, but gas mileage is double and can be easily modded to come close to M3 performance.

I have an f30 328i for a daily driver and it is a nice car. Just look for a sport or Msport model with DHP for best driving dynamics.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Focus ST, Fiesta ST, 2nd the CTS-V, 335 with tune, ATS, Evo 10
Old 11-26-2013, 01:03 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

2011+ Lexus IS-F
Audi RS4
Infiniti G37 Coupe
Audi S4 (very underrated from factory, practically as quick as a BMW M3)

All fairly practical, though I'd trust the Lexus a lot more in the long run.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Are you looking for 2 or 4 doors?
Old 11-26-2013, 01:58 PM

How much are you going to get for the S?

Personally, I'd probably rather have the S2000 + a more boring car for DD/hauling/coworker duty. But that's just me, and I'm going to go ahead and assume you've considered that, and ruled it out.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: What would you buy for under $40k?