Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What would you rather have: an Aston DB9 Convert

Old 08-01-2005, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you rather have: an Aston DB9 Convert

Someone I know was reading about the DB9 convertible today and was considering consolodating a few cars into one. He would get rid of his '05 SC430 and '05 E-class that he keeps at his main house and the '05 SC430 that he keeps at his vacation home and replace them all with the Aston. He and his wife would still have their daily drivers (LS430 and Ridgeline), I don't know if one car is worth the price of three. The way they have it seems to work out nicely, and the SC430's are nice, but definitely not too nice that you would be afraid to park them in a parking lot, which would be a problem with the AM.

So what do you think- would you replace 3 nice, comfortable cars with one car that would probably only be driven on sunny days to the golf course and out to dinner, or would you stay with what works?

And before anyone suggests a Ferrari 360 or Lambo Gallardo, take a look at the cars they have and what they are loooking at- they want something comfortable and fairly roomy that can be taken on a trip if need be.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never make that switch.

Having multiple cars has so many advantages. Like you said, there is one at his vacation home... he'd be giving that up. His Aston would then be driven 3x the number of miles as the current cars. And for what? A name badge. Yes it's a great car, but so are the others. Honestly, the quality between a high-end Lexus or MB isn't that far from Aston quality these days.

Plus, the Aston doesn't have nearly the sound system as the SC
Old 08-01-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he takes the Aston he's gonna get so much tail he's not going to need any of those other cars for his wife. (Plus she'll take the vacation home when she finds some 22 year olds thong in the glove box.)
Old 08-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Banned

In that situation, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but not because three was any dry logical reason. The car in question is an Aston Martin, purchased purely for emotional reasons. The sole purpose of the extra cars is for personal use. Purchased because they were desirable in their own right. It's not like he is trying to replace a 3/4 ton diesel truck. Eliminating multiple extra cars is probably justifyable in most cases, and replacing them with one more desirable car is perfectly rational - all the other cars were purchased for similar reasons. And in a purely economic vein, having numerous vehicles has its own cost. I doubt all the associated costs of owning a brand new Aston equal or surpass the costs of three older vehicles.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:08 PM

I have driven the Aston, and it is the finest car I have ever driven. From the build quality to the timeless look, simply one of the best cars ever made.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:35 PM

Even with the ford connection, no car on earth oozes class like the name "ASTON MARTIN" or Bentley for that matter.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:39 AM

either way he should get rid of those hideous SC430s
Old 08-02-2005, 05:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OCMusicJunkie,Aug 2 2005, 12:14 AM
Honestly, the quality between a high-end Lexus or MB isn't that far from Aston quality these days.

Plus, the Aston doesn't have nearly the sound system as the SC
LOL

don't say dumb things man....

btw, how would you know about the sound system in an ASTON?

99.9% of us will never get to put a foot in an ASTON.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:46 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a hard choice, it's odd for me to think of buying and getting rid of 3 brand new cars. Well this guy obviously has money out the wazoo.

I'd not make the trade. b/c I like having several nice cars more than one super-nice car.

I wouldn't be talking about these exact cars. I'd not have 2 of the same car I'd have a SC430 + SL500 (or 911 cab or XLR or what) just to have something different.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Aug 2 2005, 08:46 AM
That's a hard choice, it's odd for me to think of buying and getting rid of 3 brand new cars.
Well that's not really the issue. All of those cars will be gone within 6 months either way. He just changes cars that often. I wouldn't be surprised if he replaces at least one of the '05 SC430's with an '06 SC430 in the same exact color combination lol.

Quick Reply: What would you rather have: an Aston DB9 Convert