Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What's your day one car?

Old 10-24-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Realistically, for an street / occasional track car it'd probably be a 6spd Interlagos Blue E90 M3 sedan. I am just too frugal to go ahead and do it now in terms of consumables and gas mileage as a street car when I have the S2000 as a track toy.

Dream car is a manual Chalk 911 GT3, but realistically a 996 GT3 is something I'd enjoy and also currently an attainable / maintainable car.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:02 PM

Received 482 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I bought mine, it's the Cayman.

Would not be great in snow, does not do much at Home Depot, but I can always rent the truck at the home improvement store.

I could also have picked something with much more power, but I can't use what I got in today's traffic anyway.
The Cayman is a great choice, it certainly checks alot of boxes. But my frugal nature just makes me scared of any major service work due to the cost. The interesting thing about those cars is that things like timing belts which are usually very tedious and expensive to do are pretty straightforward on those cars, but then a clutch job which is normally a pricey job is just ludicrous. How you liking your Cayman?
Old 10-24-2018, 07:11 PM

Received 482 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
i've been driving an EM1 for nearly 19 years...so virtually forever in the modern car world life span.

My forever car isn't a car, but a transmission.
Forever until I have no left leg, manual transmissions will be in my driveway. **** the automatic
darcy
Ah the EM1, what import enthusiast did not lust for an Electron Blue SI with white Volk rims. A neighbor of mine in high school had one just like that with euro tails and silver mesh front grille inserts. For as simple as it was, car looked cool.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:49 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

991.2 GT3 6 speed
Old 10-25-2018, 09:05 AM

Received 378 Likes on 281 Posts

Bought mine already.

But it would be AWD, manual. I guess if I had to pick something else other than what I bought, Carrera 4s with the 3.0 Power kit to bring it to 450HP. 450HP, AWD, manual.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Ah the EM1, what import enthusiast did not lust for an Electron Blue SI with white Volk rims. A neighbor of mine in high school had one just like that with euro tails and silver mesh front grille inserts. For as simple as it was, car looked cool.
+1. I ended up with the Vogue silver metallic and put on black Rota type rims 15x7, koni/eibach, comptech, intake, then promptly autocrossed it for 10 seasons, and went to all those import car shows etc etc etc.
yup...i love the blue but they were sold out when I bought

darcy
Old 10-25-2018, 10:38 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
The Cayman is a great choice, it certainly checks alot of boxes. But my frugal nature just makes me scared of any major service work due to the cost. The interesting thing about those cars is that things like timing belts which are usually very tedious and expensive to do are pretty straightforward on those cars, but then a clutch job which is normally a pricey job is just ludicrous. How you liking your Cayman?
I love the thing. I would love it more when it is paid for. I kind of garage queen it though. I have spent $18k on it this year between insurance, license tabs, an oil change, and trying to buy down the loan and get it paid off and drove it a total of 1100 miles this summer. I plan to increase the use and I am down to owing less than $5k. I am gonna do a happy dance with the final payment.

The car drives really well and has tremendous grip, but when it gets loose, it is more balanced than an S2000 and even the most ham fisted will be able to make the car do anything they want. The interior is optioned a little and up to a very high standard, and the sound from the flat six with the sports exhaust is worth ten times what that option costs. The shifter is great, breaking is immediate, I can't say enough about the car, I got what I am paying for.

Downside? I bought a CPO and have to get the oil changed once a year to keep it under warranty. The cost for an oil change and cabin air filter replacement? $510. They wanted to do a complete brake fluid replacement for another $500 but I let that wait until next year when I might do a track school. But here is the thing....they are supposed to be pretty rock solid and they are built like brick sh*t houses. It is gonna take me another 10 years to get my current 24,000 mile car to 60,000 and I really don't anticipate anything. When the CPO is up in a year there is a specialty shop run by two guys that left the local Porsche dealer 2 miles from my house so I would go there for repairs. I hear nothing but great things about them from other owners and that is a nice thing to have so close by. Sure, I might have something crop up that costs me a couple grand in that time frame, but that could happen with lots of cars under warranty. Oh yeah, and two new rear tires cost me $850. Ouch.

Even if you buy a CPO, Porsche still sends you invitations to things, I get the Christophorus (Porsche) magazine free every month. They sent me trinkets like Porsche pens, keychains, and a Porsche coffee table book. They give you the star treatment even though I bought used. And when you go to the dealer for an oil change, the salespeople assume you are good to go so they offer to let you test whatever they got regardless of the fact I can't afford half of the inventory. So that is kind of a nice plus. The give me a Macan loaner when I get my car serviced. So I guess what I am saying is they have top notch customer service and there are some perks that come with the price. I have an intermittent ticking noise that seems like only I can hear, but the dealer told me to note everything that bothers me an Porsche is pretty good about picking up the tab if it is involved in a repair after the warranty ends. You are paying a premium but they treat you well.

I love the car. I wish it did not cost so much, but at least the monthly payments are almost over, and am not really worried about repair bills. I would tell anyone thinking about a 981, or 987 with the flat 6 to go for it now, find a low miler, and when Porsche goes through with their plans to go mostly electric, the values will probably start to climb in the future.

I enjoy it every time I drive it and look for excuses to take it for a spin. I just don't commute in it.

Last edited by vader1; 10-25-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:02 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

911 GT3 - pretty much any model under ten years old would be fine for me. I'm not that picky! More than enough power, pretty good reliability, high redline, looks great, can be used on the street and on the track, etc, etc. Pretty focused car but for a weekend toy, that's about right...

Other than that, I'd probably pick anything with a normally aspirated V12 - Aston Martin, probably, as they look and sound amazing. Convertible might be the way to go!
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 11:04 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

If not the S2000.
E46 M3.
If not either of those two, RX8.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll be keeping my GT4 for quite awhile.

If i bought a GT3 I would keep that car for a long time as well.

Quick Reply: What's your day one car?