Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Who here has moved on to......

Old 12-30-2005, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who here has moved on to......

It's been a great 4 yrs, but it's time for the S2000 to go and move on to someone else. It will be missed and it is one of the best cars I have EVER owned. I now want 4 doors, two sets of tires (snow/performance) and a year around driver. I am tired of moving cars around my driveway and garage.

NOW....

I have been looking around for a while, test driving this and that and I have come down to the CTS-V and the C55 AMG. RS4 and E55 are too much for a daily driver and "some" snow, not to mention 25K more...

ANYBODY traded up to either and what are you opinions/problems? If you have any other cars in this performance/class other that the ones listed below....I AM OPEN to suggestions (no GTO)

I have driven the following: (these are my opinions not slams on you or your car)
1. STi - too boy racer, but fun
2. EVO - read above w/rental car interior
3. M3 - imho...Was Not Impressed and the clutch throw/shifter was not impressive
4. C350 w/stick - WOW, I was surprised by this one yet not "quick" enough to give me the feel of the S2000 (seriously 3 series guys need to drive this one)
5. 3 & 5 series BMW - WOW I can't believe people pay so much $$$$ for what they get.
6. R32 - ok, I tried it...NO
7. A43.2 - WOW, I was impressed for what you get for the $$$$$ (seriously 3 series guys need to drive this one)
8. S4 - Nice, buy Heavy and "slowish" for what you get.

C55 - German (what else is there to say). GOBS of torque ready to go at anytime. Better interior. More refined, but not necessarily in a good way. I own an E350 and I just am not a fan of the C-Class interior. I am not a fan of "shifty without a shifter things" that want to fight you vs. what you want. EASY FAST

CTS-V - GM (what else is there to say). GOBS of torque ready to go at anytime, but sloppy shifter and wheel hop (not bad, but there) on launches unless you turn of the TC. It's like driving a C6 with 4 doors. This car actually "shakes" like a 60 muscle car at a stop....I SORTA LIKED THIS. Definitely GM interior...ok...but plastic GM. 6-speed with is more fun...to me at least. Handles REAL WELL for it size...I WAS SURPRISED. EASY FAST

Both cars are GREAT would make a great choice, The CTS-V is being "pushed" more by GM than by MB on employee discounts so.....There is a 200ish a month difference. While not an issue, it HAS to be looked at as BOTH CARS ARE SO CLOSE in performance.

The AMG has the "the shit" factor and that also can't be overlooked and I am "pimpy" at heart.

SO...I am looking for opinions.

Thanks

Shawn

Old 12-30-2005, 05:23 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO the CTS-V over a MB. I've heard a lot of quality problems with MBs for the money they need to get the quality up (IMO).

I like the CTS-V a lot, but be aware it goes through tires quicker than the S2000, and snow driver (IMO) will be worse than the S2000. Also V is a guzzler that C&D tested in 15-16 mpgs (heavy foot I'm sure).

I know you said you don't want a fleet of cars, but for me, a high-HP RWD cars with huge tires don't make for great winter driver. I'd keep the S2000 (not worth much as a trade) and get a Legacy turbo or TSX or 325i for ~$27-33K for DD and winter driver.

I guess the S4 is a fine car, but no way excites me like a CTS-V does. I'm not so much in love with a S4 to pay many thousands over a Legacy GT or base A4 or 325i.

If you buy new, the C55 will lock you into more loss than the Caddy.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:28 AM

Can't you get the CLK55 with a 7 speed as well?

I really like MB interiors, but then again, I'm a bit of an MB fan. I really don't like the look of the CTS-V exterior/interior. But they don't sell it here so I've only seen pics on the net/magazines.

The CLK engine is just about the same as the one in my SLK, so yeah, a lot of torque at hand. Additionally, if you replace the headers via Kleemann, you'll push power to around 400hp (at a cost of rougly $3000).

Been able to test drive them both?

rai: everyones heard of problems with MB's, funny how mine is still driving along just fine.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:33 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinigami,Dec 30 2005, 06:28 AM

rai: everyones heard of problems with MB's, funny how mine is still driving along just fine.
Negative 2006 C55 has a 5-speed AT cost $55K for a smaller car than the CTS-V.

I know 4-5 MB owners, some have no problems yet, but some have multiple problems.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:46 AM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

For the price difference, go with the '06 CTS-V. It is supposed to have an updated interior and nice LS2 motor.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

c6???(yes i know its not 4 doors)
Old 12-30-2005, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by rai,Dec 30 2005, 09:33 AM
Negative 2006 C55 has a 5-speed AT cost $55K for a smaller car than the CTS-V.

I know 4-5 MB owners, some have no problems yet, but some have multiple problems.
I own a 06 E350 4-matic and have had abosolutly no problems. MB is a mix of GREAT and GET RID OF right now. The ML's really hurt there image of quality...imho

The 06 CTS-V I drove was fine and with Blizzacts (sp?) I will be fine for normal snow. I also have a Jeep Cherokee that I think I want to get rid of to get it out of the way. I am on a "par down" kick right now...lol
Old 12-30-2005, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Dec 30 2005, 09:46 AM
For the price difference, go with the '06 CTS-V. It is supposed to have an updated interior and nice LS2 motor.
That's were I'm leaning to right now. Yes, LS2 motor, but "mild" update on the interior. XM is not my choice of sat radio. GPS sucks (my MB's sucks too for that matter) I have TREO 650 w/TOM TOM and this is the best for the money I've used yet....sorry jacking my own thread

Interior is GM upgraded plastic...if this makes any sence????

The seats are nice, but not as supportive as the C55. This is better for day to day driving on my oldish man ass. NOT better for track driving, but since I don't "track" this car (or any car for that matter) it will not be an issue.

Neither interior sways me one way or the other.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the C class - the quality issues affect this model very slightly because they were redesigned before the Daimler acquisition of Chrysler, when the company decided to make 310 new models instead of focusing on their quality. The C class is a virtual vault, and will have a longer warranty, better service and dealer treatment than you'll find with your CTS - not to mention much much better resale. In the end though, it comes down to what you see yourself driving every day. While one car may look better on paper, there will be one you'll get in, or drive, and just know that's the car for you.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Shinigami,Dec 30 2005, 09:28 AM

I really like MB interiors, but then again, I'm a bit of an MB fan. I really don't like the look of the CTS-V exterior/interior. But they don't sell it here so I've only seen pics on the net/magazines.

The CLK engine is just about the same as the one in my SLK, so yeah, a lot of torque at hand. Additionally, if you replace the headers via Kleemann, you'll push power to around 400hp (at a cost of rougly $3000).

Been able to test drive them both?

CLK has 2 doors

E55 is TOO MUCH

I am a fan of MB's too. (own one) I really liked the C350 sport w/stick. I was surprised at the power/fee in a class. I am a HUGE FAN of the new 3.5l motor.

I don't have any problems with my MB either (usual maintence stuff, but NO MAJOR)

Quick Reply: Who here has moved on to......