Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Who wants a rear drive hot hatch?

Old 09-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
But, I think the front end of the new alfas is up there with the ugliest I can think of. That is all personal preference of course, but I could not stand looking at it in my driveway long enough to actually drive it :P
Wait. You have a Scion tc and have the audacity to say the Alfa is ugly? Wow
The following 2 users liked this post by sam_spider:
flexer (09-26-2018), WolfpackS2k (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 09:37 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Looks really fun. I could see replacing our 500 Abarth with that when the time comes but only if I can get a good deal on a new one. I really like how the new Alfa's look. Very unique cars. Not sure the RWD would be the best choice in Seattle with our weather but it would be really fun. I have though about doing a Golf R to replace the Abarth in a few years when the extended warranty is through but I like the look of the 2 door hatch over the 4 door.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I don't know if their reputation (beyond some teething pains from bad software in the Quadrofoglio) is deserved as it was earned 20+ years ago. I really like the look and have always had a soft spot for Guiliettas and Renault Megane's when I go to Europe. They look like neat cars. I think it would be interesting to see what kind of price and power level they offer here.
Anecdotal, but C&D's long-term Giulia has been at the dealer for 7-8 weeks out of their first 5 months with the car...
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ability-update

I really, really want to want a Giulia Quad after driving one. There are many owners who haven't had issues, but plenty more who have had a lot. That's something I would consider putting up with on a fun-only, occasional 2nd car, but as a practical daily driver sedan, I just can't get comfortable with the risk.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:50 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Wait. You have a Scion tc and have the audacity to say the Alfa is ugly? Wow
Yep, I sure do. Probably one of the ugliest on my list of ugly cars. Like I said, it is all personal preference That grill is the most hideous grill on the market in my opinion. And I am not wrong .. cause again, personal preference. I hate all that is the looks of the Scion xB and xA, but those owners hate the tC. I know a number of folks that think the S2k is ugly as well. Different strokes for different folks. I mean, some folks loved the Aztek :P
Old 09-25-2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
The Honda snob attitude is strong in here, lol.

Sign me up! A RWD hot hatch with handling dynamics similar to the Guilia, with a manual transmission? Honda who?
So if we do not like a car, we are Honda snobs? lol ... the internet attitude is thick up in here..... I have owned one Honda, ever (well, other than a dirtbike). And that is the S2k.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:58 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
I mean, some folks loved the Aztek :P
Lies.
The following users liked this post:
flexer (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 11:01 AM

Lies.
Lol. I worked with a guy that was on his second one. However, to give him credit, he even said he hated the looks, but he could get one with almost no miles on it for about $6k, cause no one liked them! And he didnt care if it happened to get dinged up in the parking lot. I guess I was the dumb one for laughing when he pulled in with it!
Old 09-25-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, well, it's not even a year old so and I drive the snot out of it.

My BMW had issues within its first year, and my S2000 had issues at 30k miles.

In my experience cars that are going to cause headaches tend to do so very quickly, usually within the first few months. I'm not worried, or scared in the slightest.
Not usually the case with the $$$ items to worry about. If the trans is weak it won't start showing until much later, same with oil consumption or ring issues.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:53 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Already have it for the most part. Drive mode select, drift. 70% of power goes to the rear. Two drivetrains in one.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Alfa buyers are driven by passion over rationality. They want a drivers car with what they see as stunning looks. For those who want to rationalize their purchase first; there are plenty of options for them.

Quick Reply: Who wants a rear drive hot hatch?