Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

why is the 911 regarded so highly

Old 08-03-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I can't believe you found the 996TT unbalanced. That car is about as rock steady as they come.

Regardless, the 911 (underpowered for the money as it is) is a VERY high performance machine. It's respected because it deserves it. It tends to do more with less than a lot of other vehicles in the class. In other words, it makes full use of its strengths while hiding its weaknesses very well.

My ex-boss had a 996 that was very nice to drive. Good feedback in general, lots of grip, and easy to rotate. Great brakes!
Old 08-03-2006, 02:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by candyass,Aug 3 2006, 03:28 PM

The reason the 911 is so highly regarded is because it is a great car.
Agreed.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven a 996 with some peformance package at SOWS ( a local track). My first impression was great throttle response and power, but very poor turn in. The thing just loves to understeer (at least on turn in). I didn't drive it for long but in general I didn't like the way the shifter felt and the steering response, but everything else about the car is fantastic.

The engine response is incredible, brakes are fantastic, rear grip is very good. It just doesn't turn as quickly as an S2000, probably because it weighs a lot more and its ass-heavy. I'm sure the GT3's suspension fixes the turn in problem. After all, the 911 is one of the most widely raced cars ever.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a difference between what people like in a car's feel. Some people prefer the feel of Honda's, or BMW's, or Ford's - doesn't mean another car is bad (unless you're on the Internet ). Yes, many people like the 911 because of the price tag. If I had a nickle for every person who said their dream car is a 911, but have never driven one.......

Personally I like a whole bunch of cars, and I certainly love Porsches (I just got my loan check for a Cayman S today .....just gotta get rid of this M3), but I like the feel of many German cars. I know some people who prefer the feel of the shifter in the NSX/S2000/Z4 over any Porsche and vice versa. Some people like the extra weight-feel of the European cars while others don't. I think the Carrera is an awesome machine: well balanced, great response, looks fantastic, has the rareness factor when optioned accordingly, has enough get up and go......I can go on and on.

I'll agree with the OP with my own opinion that in the handling department the Cayman is the better car, but the difference in power makes up for the small difference in handling between the Cayman and the Carrera.

Notice how I don't mention the TT's or GT3 - those are in a different league entirely. The TT I could drive around on city streets, but I'd be too afraid to put parts of the GT3 on the ground everywhere - I think that car is only meant for the track.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=dyhppy,Aug 3 2006, 04:37 PM] so sad that marketing gets to so many people.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:43 PM

Well, I think the rear weight bias allows the platform to brake harder than a more-balanced car. Porsche has worked hard over the years to reduce the negative effect of that big polar moment during other handling events. What's the big deal about braking? It wins races.

Now in a street car maybe it doesn't matter so much (if you're braking that deep in a corner on the street... you shouldn't).
Old 08-03-2006, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the car doesnt feel balanced, you always have to fight with the weight in the back, it is powerful, but it doesn't feel well balanced/designed like the midengined boxster or cayman.
This is a subjective statement so how can one respond? You may feel the car has these dynamic but legions of owners/fans, exluding the ones who just by it for the name, think otherwise
Old 08-03-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the 911 was first created, it was at or near the top of the heap. Even though that was a long time ago, legends last.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:36 PM

by marketing i meant that people automatically think the 911 is better because of the higher price. im just trying to learn, guys, so thanks for the input. anything i said was just my opinion, obviously.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:09 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=dyhppy,Aug 3 2006, 04:36 PM] by marketing i meant that people automatically think the 911 is better because of the higher price.

Quick Reply: why is the 911 regarded so highly