Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why can't you have your cake and eat it too?

Old 12-08-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Interesting observation, as it seems the motoring press is almost unanimous in their opinion that the CX5 is the best handling and most "fun" affordable CUV available on the market. I'm pretty sure it's been described as having superior handling to a few sedans even.
I agree with you. Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say I like my Cr-v better than the 2008 CR-v. The CX-5 is great! I edited my poorly written post...lol.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (12-09-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently you are saying you want a CRV Si ? Which I thought would have been a cool thing for the enthusiast . Well someone thought the same thing except it was not Honda . You need to look at the first gen Subaru Forester XT . Almost every performance mod for the WRX also fits the XT . The manual transmission is hard to find but worth it . However it needs the short shifter kit and upgraded bushings for greater shift quality .
Mine is Cobb Stage 2 about 290 hp, upgraded exhaust and STI intercooler and should be around 0 to 60 in 4.7 sec . Only downside is the wind noise in this generation .
As far as small SUV's go they get no more fun than the XT but if you do not need the room then I would go for a MINI or GTI .
Old 12-11-2016, 07:15 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I forgot about the XT - that really was a fun CUV to drive around, but I haven't driven any newer models...
Old 12-11-2016, 09:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Go look at Mazdas - sporty fun Japanese cars, like Honda used to have.
The new CX-9 is a beautiful vehicle (particularly in Signature trim) and still maintains the sporting dynamics inherent with the other Mazda models. Imagine if Mazda offered the 2.5T in their other models.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

I forgot about the XT - that really was a fun CUV to drive around, but I haven't driven any newer models...
I wish I could do a CUV, just can't, absolutely loathe them. They don't handle as well as a car, and won't SUV as good as a SUV. I understand the seating position but they are utterly pointless to me, and compromised vehicles from the get go. I'd rather hatch/wagon.
The following 3 users liked this post by TommyDeVito:
Driven (12-31-2016), JonBoy (12-11-2016), WolfpackS2k (12-12-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
I wish I could do a CUV, just can't, absolutely loathe them. They don't handle as well as a car, and won't SUV as good as a SUV. I understand the seating position but they are utterly pointless to me, and compromised vehicles from the get go. I'd rather hatch/wagon.
I think you need to rethink that ! The Forester can be made to handle as well as a WRX if that is your thing . However if you are like me you have the Prelude, Mini , and 911 for handling for the 3 seasons of good weather and the XT for winter . Of course it does not handle as well but my goodness that power it has is just always fun and impressive . It can handle most small and medium size hauling and gets halfway decent gas mileage .
To me the Large Suv is what is worthless . Too big and fuel thirsty, too slow , and boring to drive ! I always imagine the large SUV driver had fantasies about driving a school bus growing up or dang how many kids do you got to need that monster?
Old 12-20-2016, 06:05 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Most small SUVs offer minor ride height increase and optional AWD.

larger SUVs give you large sedan like space, 8-10 inches ground clearance and some tow rating to use.

We avaeage 17-19mpg mixed and low 20s in our MDX. It's 300hp makes it far from slow either off the line or at freeway speed.

real world 5mpg doesn't matter much. Pretty neat to fit 4 adults plus all your gear in a nice cabin though.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
I get this, but remember, the Forester was the car that Subaru re-badged as as CUV - It used to be a fun boxy car. Not sure what the current model is like though...
Old 12-20-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I came here to read about cake. Instead I find a thread about SUVs. Talk about a kick in the nuts!!!

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/off-topi...-truck-382388/
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (12-21-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 07:26 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I get this, but remember, the Forester was the car that Subaru re-badged as as CUV - It used to be a fun boxy car. Not sure what the current model is like though...
I remember the forester XT with the turbo and manual -STi suspension bits could be bolted on. For a few dollars you had a q ship.

the newest version is as boring as brown loafers. perhaps even more.

darcy

Quick Reply: Why can't you have your cake and eat it too?