Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why does Civic Si intrigue me?

Old 04-11-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
None of these kind of cars being referenced excite me very much, if they did i would own one instead of an S2000. Its like trying to compare which turd is best. Not very exciting. I dont care what they cost.
I get what people are saying that it is not competitive. Here is where I am coming from: The RSX Type S was a really neat car to me, it had enough power to be fun and had a price close to $30k when I wanted one. I could not afford one at the time. Now $25k is no big deal and the car advertised (Civic SI) has the same power, same weight, and is $25k asking price. It might not be the greatest thing right now, but in terms of what I once wanted, the price, and what I can afford, it is peanuts for a fun manual car with decent accoutrements.

Call Costco and get the Costco price and it is $23k for a 205 horse, 192 torques Honda with Honda reliability, Honda fun, Honda build quality, for practically nothing. I still think the GTI is a better buy, but this aint bad. You buy one and know you can beat the piss out of it for 200,000 miles and have fun for $23k. How many cars can you say that about? I am intrigued by the GTI as well, but you don't imagine the same longevity from the GTI as you do the Honda.

Last edited by vader1; 04-11-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I get what people are saying that it is not competitive. Here is where I am coming from: The RSX Type S was a really neat car to me, it had enough power to be fun and had a price close to $30k when I wanted one. I could not afford one at the time. Now $25k is no big deal and the car advertised (Civic SI) has the same power, same weight, and is $25k asking price. It might not be the greatest thing right now, but in terms of what I once wanted, the price, and what I can afford, it is peanuts for a fun manual car with decent accoutrements.

Call Costco and get the Costco price and it is $23k for a 205 horse, 192 torques Honda with Honda reliability, Honda fun, Honda build quality, for practically nothing. I still think the GTI is a better buy, but this aint bad. You buy one and know you can beat the piss out of it for 200,000 miles and have fun for $23k. How many cars can you say that about? I am intrigued by the GTI as well, but you don't imagine the same longevity from the GTI as you do the Honda.
I dont disagree with any of your talking points about the car, I would agree for what you get its a good value practically speaking. Its just not a sports car to me, and has nothing really performance deeming to me, its just a glorified wrong wheel drive econo box at the end of the day, and so was the RSX since mentioned. I have a different set of measured standards I go by when shopping for performance oriented cars. To me the Honda S2000 really breaks away from anything relative to anything else Honda has done in the modern era and I consider its own entity, if it wasn't I probably wouldn't own one. For me its an S2000 not a Honda, Honda just happened to make it. Everything else Honda makes is just a Honda in my view and does little for me, other then considering what to recommend to my Mom when she is looking for a reliable and practical car to own.

What I get is if you have to compromise on the practicality of 4 seats, and want reliability, cost etc then having a car that can get out of its own way to boot is a selling point. But its not the fundamental basis in which these platforms were designed. They are an afterthought based on a market niche that got popular. There is no performance heritage there. So yeah, boring. To each their own.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-11-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Something is wrong if you want a GTI. Go test drive the Si..sure it's no Prelude or S2000 but I'm sure it's not bad
Old 04-12-2017, 02:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel the same way about the CTR. It's the first exciting Honda in a long time!
Old 04-12-2017, 03:54 AM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k
sometimes you have to eat turds before you get the cake.
and sometimes you have to eat turds because you need a backseat or because winter salt will corrode an S2000.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There has to be a reason why Honda thinks a mid 20k car will sell against its similarly priced competition with more power. I would honestly just test drive it and see. Honda's for me have always been about superior driving experience and less about what was on paper.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
Where can you get a new GTI for $19.5k? I looked at them last year and the cheapest MSRP was $26k. Doubt they're going to take 25% off that.

I like the new Civic hatch a lot. Shame they aren't making an Si version. The new Si would make a nice daily - will probably perform better than its specs suggest. But yeah, the hp # is pretty weak, and even the torque at 192lb/ft. Pathetic - Fiesta ST #s when it's competing with GTIs and Focus STs.
King VW in Gaithersburg MD.
VW dealer serving Gaithersburg, Rockville, Bethesda & Germantown, MD | King Volkswagen

no lsd though at $19.3k
Old 04-12-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by award78
Case in point, after I spoke to them a few month back this wasn't their lowest price either , the diesel gate fiasco has them giving all sorts of discounts to move more inventory, head on over to gti forums people are picking them up for low 19's high 18's im some part of the country.

The particular variant is producing 220hp and 260tq @1500rpm, same curb weight as the '12 FB6 si 4 door that I used to own.

I will test drive the new Si for sure for nostalgia sake but, honestly 60 more tq, 20more hp for at least 5k less, I'm not sure the new Si's driving experience/longevity/gearbox would be worth 5k + more vs the GTi.

I am secretly hoping honda has severly underrated the new Si and its putting out a lot more on the dyno, i.e. F80 m3 story, would be delightful to see ~200whp ~210+tq at the wheels on the stock Si.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I dont disagree with any of your talking points about the car, I would agree for what you get its a good value practically speaking. Its just not a sports car to me.
I was just talking in terms of a daily commuter.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure the GTI wins over fit and finish of the new Si also. Low 19's for what you get out of a GTI is basically a no brainer. I would be curious to see what dealers can do on the new Si for pricing also.

Quick Reply: Why does Civic Si intrigue me?