Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why does Civic Si intrigue me?

Old 10-23-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority, but I've never found the Civic to be particularly ugly. A little too busy, sure. I do hate any form of fake vents, including those on my own car. But I don't think it's bad looking at all.
Originally Posted by rob-2
Miatia or BRZ RWD.
Mazda 3 or 6 - nicer in every way
Subi Imprezza - cheap, awd and great mpg. IX if you want more ground clearance.
Ford Focus or Fusion
Ford Mustang - RWD and Manual
Chevy Cruise Diesel
Pretty sure people shopping an economical and practical economy car aren't cross-shopping with a Miata, BRZ, or Mustang. Come on man.

Impreza is also dog-slow. Focus is good, but outdated and outclassed. Fusion is an entirely different size class with the price to match - as is the Mazda 6.

Mazda 3 is "nicer in every way?" Not everyone agrees with you.
https://www.caranddriver.com/compari...ring-25-page-3

Originally Posted by s2ka
Used, more expensive, slower, worse gas mileage.... but at least you like the looks.

But it's RWD! Which matters to maybe 5% of commuter-car consumers!
Old 10-23-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I guess the difference in MPG matters less to me. I don't get excited about the differences between 35, 40 or 50mpg. I certainly wouldn't drive an ugly car. All the civic owners might as well go buy a Prius. Honda worked hard to make this recent iteration as ugly as possible.

Miatia or BRZ RWD.
Ford Focus or Fusion
Chevy Cruise Diesel

Wild card used option - Lexus IS250 CPO in RWD or AWD. The AWD option I had got 34mpg freeway and I could flog it still managing 25mpg mixed. Paid $24k out the door with bumper to bumper for 10year/100k. It's a v6 and interior rocks anything civic offers. Mindful of small rear seats. Expect RWD to do slightly better on freeway.

All of those are options I'd consider before buying a new civic. Price range varies slightly. Personally, there is no way I'd ever own such an ugly car as the current civic. That's worth a few grand to me and when you run the real world numbers on 35, 40 or 50 mpg on the average ownership cycle it's grossly overstated savings at $2.25 gas.
Man, you are always good for a laugh. Miata or BRZ instead of a Civic? Anyone buying a Civic isn't looking for a tiny two-seater with no real practicality. If you think a Civic is cheap inside, look at an Impreza sometime. It's pretty barebones... Mustang instead of a Civic? Yeah, that's a very common cross-shopping pair there...

Seriously, you went with "RWD or AWD", realized there is no RWD so you made up a ridiculous non-comparable option, then threw in a few FWDs that are older and worse.

The "CPO" vs "new" argument is not valid. People buying new want a new car. I get it, and I pretty much always buy a good used car over a brand new car (more car for the money) but that's not a fair comparison and you know it. And you're still more expensive than a Civic by a fair good chunk of money (for people buying a $21K car)...
Old 10-23-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess the difference in MPG matters less to me. I don't get excited about the differences between 35, 40 or 50mpg. I certainly wouldn't drive an ugly car. All the civic owners might as well go buy a Prius. Honda worked hard to make this recent iteration as ugly as possible.

Miatia or BRZ RWD.
Ford Focus or Fusion
Chevy Cruise Diesel

Wild card used option - Lexus IS250 CPO in RWD or AWD. The AWD option I had got 34mpg freeway and I could flog it still managing 25mpg mixed. Paid $24k out the door with bumper to bumper for 10year/100k. It's a v6 and interior rocks anything civic offers. Mindful of small rear seats. Expect RWD to do slightly better on freeway.

All of those are options I'd consider before buying a new civic. Price range varies slightly. Personally, there is no way I'd ever own such an ugly car as the current civic. That's worth a few grand to me and when you run the real world numbers on 35, 40 or 50 mpg on the average ownership cycle it's grossly overstated savings at $2.25 gas.
We get it, you don't like the styling of the new hondas. New hondas are clearly not for you. Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone needs to have RWD or AWD in a daily commuter.

If your looking at a CPO or a used car then yeah, you have a lot of options for that price range but some people want to buy new. I thought we were talking about new cars over here?

Miata - I love the looks and sounded great and fun to drive but it ended up being like 30k+ for what I wanted on it and i wanted a car with more room as a commuter.
BRZ - again, I like the looks of it and fun to drive but the interior looks cheap, hate the subaru infotainment system and was like basically 30k after options.
Impreza - One of my good friends has a '16. Loads of room, ok fuel mileage, slow as hell and the interior is pretty basic. It is a low 20k car after all.
Focus/Fusion - I wouldn't buy a ford so i didn't even really look too into it. Never drove it or sat in it so I am not sure how good it is. I don't even know the prices.
Mustang - Same as above.
Chevy Cruise Diesel - same as above.
Lexus IS250 - never drove a 250 but my friend has a '16 200t fsport. Interior is obviously a step up from the civic but thats obvious when the car new cost like 15k more. The cost of ownership will also be more than a civic in the long run.

might as well go buy a Prius? Prius provides zero factors for "fun" and has no power/handling and an absolute bore to drive. There are enthusiasts out in the world that wants a decently fun car when you want it to be fun while getting great gas mileage which some of these new cars provide with their low displacement turbo motors.

There really isnt many choices for a new car that fits those criteria in the 22-23k range.
Originally Posted by white98ls
I guess I'm in the minority, but I've never found the Civic to be particularly ugly. A little too busy, sure. I do hate any form of fake vents, including those on my own car. But I don't think it's bad looking at all.
I'm not a fan of the rear vents but thats about it. The front vents I don't mind and the hatchback/si front looks rather aggressive imo.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:56 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Thank you so much for posting this! Changing the oil on my Corvette is such a whip, because it's hard to get a jack under it and it's hard to find ramps lower enough to drive up on. I'm going to order one of these today.
I used the two jack method for my c5z.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:58 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I don't mind the civics looks, just don't like the type r.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:03 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Miatia or BRZ RWD.
Ford Focus or Fusion
Chevy Cruise Diesel

idc about gas mileage, but there are very few red/awd options under $30k that I would buy for a DD. I chose to the GTI because it was a better DD than the civic SI for less money. I was close to getting the SI if I didn't get so much money off the GTI.

All the cars you mentioned have a big compromise for me.

Miatia or BRZ RWD. - Zero Space
Mazda 3 or 6 - Still FWD
Subi Imprezza - Gross interior.
Ford Focus or Fusion- Lol no
Ford Mustang - No space. Bad DD.
Chevy Cruise Diesel- Still FWD

And Lexus IS250? really? The interior quality is shit IMO & It is SLOW as BALLS.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Apparently as long as consumers buy ugly cars automakers will keep designing them. Who knew that Pep Boys was onto something 20 years ago selling all those fake vents and tacky cosmetic add ons?
Old 10-24-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Thank you so much for posting this! Changing the oil on my Corvette is such a whip, because it's hard to get a jack under it and it's hard to find ramps lower enough to drive up on. I'm going to order one of these today.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Apparently as long as consumers buy ugly cars automakers will keep designing them. Who knew that Pep Boys was onto something 20 years ago selling all those fake vents and tacky cosmetic add ons?
True, I'm not a fan of fake vents, unfortunately they're hard to avoid these days...McLaren...BMW...Mercedes...Subaru...Lexus. And lest we forget, the S2000 has fake brake vents in the front bumper. And the FRS/BRZ has fake side vents copied from the BMW M3 fake vents. For the Civic the worst fake vent offenders are the Si, Type R, and hatchback. I bought my EXT sedan in black to minimize the appearance of the vents, and the Civic coupe has the smallest fake vents so I was able to get a white one.