Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why is the new CTR so slow?

Old 11-12-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k
slight correction
Your correction is incorrect, if you’d like to be pedantic.
From the articles - $34,775 MSRP vs $52,695 MSRP ($54,495 as tested) to be precise.

One thing that I find interesting - for similar money as an S2000 was (and that was back in 1999!) this CTR is notably faster.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

arm chair quarterbacking is fun, but nothing beats actually playing the game. Have you driven one? Drive it and see if you think its worth your $35K. Does it meets your expectations? Does it reset what you know about FWD performance? People- read, the internets- said the SI is crap- I drove it and was pleasantly surprised.

I'll tell you this. I've driven a CTR several times- on the autocross course there is no better handling FWD car that I have driven. On the road it performs admirably with the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. I think if you can only own ONE car, I'd put it on the short list.

Is the CTR fast on the road? Yes it is. Is the CTR fast on an autocross course? Yes, it is. Does it have USABLE power? Yes it does. Do I like driving it? Yes I do. Would I rather own an M2? No, because it will cost me many more dollars, likely not be as reliable long term, and costs of maintenance beyond what I'm willing to spend.
my 2 cents.
darcy
Old 11-12-2017, 05:23 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I've said it in another thread, but I hope Honda brings out a sub-30k stripper model. I sincerely doubt it'll happen as that would cannibalize Si sales, but one can dream. Either way, surely sub 30k CPO prices in a couple years. The 2017 Si can be had for about 23k OTD.

I have the itch to buy a newer DD, and it's really bad.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:55 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Someone ran sub-2 (1:58) around Buttonwillow in a lightly modified CTR. Lowering springs, swaybars, wheels, and 200tw tires. That's quick.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:55 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not really surprised by the difference in acceleration, and I'd be even less surprised if that M2 had a double clutch gearbox.

Originally Posted by darcyw
arm chair quarterbacking is fun, but nothing beats actually playing the game. Have you driven one? Drive it and see if you think its worth your $35K. Does it meets your expectations? Does it reset what you know about FWD performance? People- read, the internets- said the SI is crap- I drove it and was pleasantly surprised.

I'll tell you this. I've driven a CTR several times- on the autocross course there is no better handling FWD car that I have driven. On the road it performs admirably with the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. I think if you can only own ONE car, I'd put it on the short list.

Is the CTR fast on the road? Yes it is. Is the CTR fast on an autocross course? Yes, it is. Does it have USABLE power? Yes it does. Do I like driving it? Yes I do. Would I rather own an M2? No, because it will cost me many more dollars, likely not be as reliable long term, and costs of maintenance beyond what I'm willing to spend.
my 2 cents.
darcy
Yep, I agree the CTR is a very respectable machine. And the Si is a great car too but it's really not getting the attention it used to since the introduction of the CTR in the North American Market.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:14 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Because the CTR is a hideous POS and the M2 is god's chariot? j/k. One is a FWD hot hatch with 4 cyl one is a RWD coupe with a lot more torque.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw

my 2 cents.
darcy
I bet you an early 90's STS class Civic si with sub 100 hp will out handle this new CTR on an autocross course. And joke's on you maintenance on BMW's is free for the first 3 years
Old 11-13-2017, 05:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the weight of one of the 20" wheel/tire combos on the CTR? At what speed is the top of 2?
Old 11-13-2017, 05:36 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I bet you an early 90's STS class Civic si with sub 100 hp will out handle this new CTR on an autocross course. And joke's on you maintenance on BMW's is free for the first 3 years
Today I learned 3 years is a long time for free maintenance.

And no it wouldn't. I say this as a huge fan of 88-00 Civics.

Shocking a German car fanboy would rush to one's defense.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an E46 M3 with an SMG, and could only handle owning it for about 5 months. It was a big fat pig. I was so happy the day I traded it for my B7 RS4. I loved that car until it became too expensive to maintain. The parts were ridiculously over priced, over engineered, and super painful to work on. German cars, IMO, just are not worth the costs in maintaining. That's just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Why is the new CTR so slow?