Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why is the new CTR so slow?

Old 11-13-2017, 07:21 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Are people cross shopping M2's and Civic Type R's?

I love the M2, and kinda like the concept and on-paper performance of the Civic Type R, but they are not in the same price range, they drive different wheels, and there is a large power difference.

The Civic Type R is also hampered by the visual impairment of it's buyers and it is quick, but not nearly fast enough to outrun ugly.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Today I learned 3 years is a long time for free maintenance.

And no it wouldn't. I say this as a huge fan of 88-00 Civics.

Shocking a German car fanboy would rush to one's defense.
Slight advice for you,
A. Stop riding hondas nuts, they get credit when its due i.e. s2000, no one is 'bashing' the CTR its a great car and puts down good laptimes. Its just a shame that the dealer network had to go in and ruin the launch of the car / spoil taste for many enthutiasts. Is it possible to get one at MSRP? Sure if you try REALLY hard. Was it possible for the past 3-4 month? No. The car sold on average 10k over MSRP.

Even for 35k (good luck finding one) it just doesn't justify the price of the car, yet again an overpriced pile of metal is commanding a premium for its name.

I would much rather pick up a CPO 335i or a lightly used 335i / m3 e92 for sub 35k, buying 2k worth of aftermarket warranty and beat the crap out of them worry free.

Bottom line is: CTR is great for what it is, but the market will adjust its true price sooner than later. When it goes down in to sub 30k range with <10k miles is when I might consider one.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

I guess it comes down to... is $5K+ over MRSP worth it, to be the first on your block to drive one?

Old 11-13-2017, 08:45 AM

Received 199 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
I guess it comes down to... is $5K+ over MRSP worth it, to be the first on your block to drive one?

I guess I'm lucky then got mine for 3k over MSRP. Love it but still love driving the S2K more. Is the car worth the money yes. As soon as I get another set of wheels and tires I will put it on a track. That's what it was designed for. You can't compare it to the M2 with the pricing, FWD vs RWD cars. I will say the CTR drives like an AWD car and is quite amazing to drive. As far as the styling options I'm pretty sure Honda engineering did for a purpose. Just look at the CR too.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 379 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
The CTR laps quicker than the Golf R, Focus RS, and STI which are cars squarely in its price range (34k). An M2 starts at 52k.
That is not correct. Not at all tracks. I've seen data of the RS beating it. All depends on the track really. And certainly if any inclement weather is factored in, the CTR is toast.

But the CTR is certainly not slow by any stretch. It's a very quick car so this metrics stuff gets a bit stoopid. Everyone acts like the metrics are such a big deal, or the lap time is a big deal when 99.99% are not racing for money, trophies, rostrums, or champagne. it's moot. The real thing is how it feels, how engaging it is to drive, if it sticks to the asphalt with grip, how it handles the bumps, if the chassis is sorted, the steering feel, linear powerband, and most importantly fun. At MSRP or below it's a great buy. I look forward to someone de-winging the thing as the design is atrocious but all that matters in reality is the view from the cockpit.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
Also, to go from 60 to 120 in the CTR you need gears 2, 3, 4 and 5.
To go from 60 to 120 in the M2 you only need gears 2, 3 and 4.
This is a good point, in general shorter gearing causes higher acceleration but since a stick shift car does not accelerate during the shift, adding more shifts in a certain interval could cause the times to be slower.I think the DCT gearbox helps a lot here, It would be very interesting to see what a stick shift M2 would do. (I have not found any numbers for this unfortunately)
Old 11-13-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
arm chair quarterbacking is fun, but nothing beats actually playing the game. Have you driven one? Drive it and see if you think its worth your $35K. Does it meets your expectations? Does it reset what you know about FWD performance? People- read, the internets- said the SI is crap- I drove it and was pleasantly surprised.

I'll tell you this. I've driven a CTR several times- on the autocross course there is no better handling FWD car that I have driven. On the road it performs admirably with the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. I think if you can only own ONE car, I'd put it on the short list.

Is the CTR fast on the road? Yes it is. Is the CTR fast on an autocross course? Yes, it is. Does it have USABLE power? Yes it does. Do I like driving it? Yes I do. Would I rather own an M2? No, because it will cost me many more dollars, likely not be as reliable long term, and costs of maintenance beyond what I'm willing to spend.
my 2 cents.
darcy
I have driven one, but the drive was not as long as I hoped for so I cannot say that I have really tested it properly. Jumping out from my eurospec E46 M3 the FK8 felt slower. But I did like it and maybe I will buy one in the future if I believe it will perform better than my M3 on the local track. I am just not sure if it will, mainly because of poor acceleration.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by iqbad
This is a good point, in general shorter gearing causes higher acceleration but since a stick shift car does not accelerate during the shift, adding more shifts in a certain interval could cause the times to be slower.I think the DCT gearbox helps a lot here, It would be very interesting to see what a stick shift M2 would do. (I have not found any numbers for this unfortunately)
The article I linked above was a stick shift 6spd M2.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I bet you an early 90's STS class Civic si with sub 100 hp will out handle this new CTR on an autocross course. And joke's on you maintenance on BMW's is free for the first 3 years
Problem is that I'd buy a used one out of warranty because I'm not willing to trade away $20,000 in depreciation.

darcy
Old 11-13-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I dunno, all signs point to it being pretty quick, especially at msrp prices. Comparing it to an M2... well that's a bit unfair isn't it?

Quick Reply: Why is the new CTR so slow?